Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some articles I have read recommend a 32 Amp charger of our I-Pace. When I purchased my car the dealer gave me a Lectron 16A Charger which I installed using a NEMA 14-30 Plug and Square D 30 Amp circuit breaker.

This setup works fine for my needs since I don't drive that much, charging at a rate of 6-8 miles per hour.

However, I would like to hear from other I-pace owners as to what type of setup they are using to charge their vehicles and to decide if I will upgrade to the 32A charger.

·
Super Moderator
2,263 Posts
If it ain't broken don't fix it ;)

I think most people here (including me) have 32A units and (surprise) they charge twice as fast as your 16A. Be aware that you'd have to install a 50A breaker if you have 'room' in the panel and if not you'd need to upgrade the panel. Also the 32A units use a NEMA 14-50 plug (or are hardwired).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Some articles I have read recommend a 32 Amp charger of our I-Pace. When I purchased my car the dealer gave me a Lectron 16A Charger which I installed using a NEMA 14-30 Plug and Square D 30 Amp circuit breaker.

This setup works fine for my needs since I don't drive that much, charging at a rate of 6-8 miles per hour.

However, I would like to hear from other I-pace owners as to what type of setup they are using to charge their vehicles and to decide if I will upgrade to the 32A charger.
I got the EVoCharge EVSE. Very simple 32 Amp charger. No WiFi, no App, just makes the power available to the car. Works great but as Sciencegeek said, if yours is working fine, probable better to just stick with it. Any idea why they gave you that charger?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Be aware that you'd have to install a 50A breaker if you have 'room' in the panel and if not you'd need to upgrade the panel. Also the 32A units use a NEMA 14-50 plug (or are hardwired).
A 40A breaker is probably OK, but youalso have to check for the wire. It should 8/3 or 6/3 (if you want to plan for later upgrade).

·
Registered
110 Posts
If it ain't broken don't fix it ;)

I think most people here (including me) have 32A units and (surprise) they charge twice as fast as your 16A. Be aware that you'd have to install a 50A breaker if you have 'room' in the panel and if not you'd need to upgrade the panel. Also the 32A units use a NEMA 14-50 plug (or are hardwired).
By the way, several have the 3 pronged 6-50 plug. That is what mine has.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the EVoCharge EVSE. Very simple 32 Amp charger. No WiFi, no App, just makes the power available to the car. Works great but as Sciencegeek said, if yours is working fine, probable better to just stick with it. Any idea why they gave you that charger?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They probably gave me that charger because it would cost them more for the 32 amp. I did not know much at that time and unfortunately when I got the charger I replaced the 6-50 plug and 50 amp breaker (previous house owner had a Tesla with that setup) for the 14-30 setup. Fortunately I saved the breaker and receptacle so no big deal to put back in if I upgrade.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have a Chargepoint Home Flex that is capable of up to 50amps. However, since we only have 20amps circuit breaker, the unit is set to 16amp setting.

·
Registered
2020 HSE Fujy
10 Posts
I have 48amp ChargePoint on 60A breaker in a 125A sub panel. Too much for the cat and not cheap, but I decided not to pinch pennies this time since second EV is very likely to come within next year or two. I want to have a setup which could take both at the same time and have some flexibility. Cheaper option would be finding 40A or more circuit nearby and installing a switch which would flip power between car and that dryer/air conditioner/something. Car can charge at night when other power hungry devices not needed.

·
Registered
110 Posts
They probably gave me that charger because it would cost them more for the 32 amp. I did not know much at that time and unfortunately when I got the charger I replaced the 6-50 plug and 50 amp breaker (previous house owner had a Tesla with that setup) for the 14-30 setup. Fortunately I saved the breaker and receptacle so no big deal to put back in if I upgrade.
Hey at least they gave you a level 2. All I had was that useless trickle charger.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At this current time in our History, not being able to really travel anywhere, I can't put any miles on the car so I guess I will leave the charging situation the way it is.

I have a 2020 i-pace since early February with less then 900 miles. The most I have driven it in one day is maybe 40 miles. It is a crime but can't visit anyone or go anywhere till
Virus is defeated.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have a Chargepoint Home Flex that is capable of up to 50amps. However, since we only have 20amps circuit breaker, the unit is set to 16amp setting.
Interestingly I just had an issue with my Chargepoint Flex. It lost and has been unable to regain the wifi connection. Rebooted my router, rebooted the charger, no luck. I called Chargepoint and they felt it was an antenna that stopped functioning. It's not the first time they've seen it happen. So they're shipping out a new replacement. The charger works, it just doesn't keep track of the charging sessions.

·
Registered
2020 S
57 Posts
I've got the AmazonBasics 32A charger which I suspect is probably a rebranded EVoCharge EVSE sold at a discount. I installed a 50A circuit so I can later upgrade to 40A charger if the need arises.

·
Registered
592 Posts
My home came with a dedicated 40 amp circuit for EV charging per local code. Back in 2011 I bought a Schneider 30 amp for my LEAF. Has worked fine for the LEAF, RAV4-EV and now the I-Pace.
Although I mostly charge at work using an open 20 amp Clipper Creek. I also had an old Leviton 16 amp from 2012 that I donated to work for others to share. The 16a Leviton still works fine on the I-Pace too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought a ClipperCreek HCS-50. It's rated for 50 amps. Takes about 10-12 hours to charge from 0-100% for me due to limited circuit breaker so it won't hit the 50 amps. Simple, no fuss, reliable and ultra-durable (they have vidoes of beating the charger with a bat).

·
Super Moderator
2,263 Posts
[I-Pace's onboard charger is limited to 32 amps at L2, so it can't draw 50 amps through your ClipperCreek 🍺 ]

·
Super Moderator
2,263 Posts
Ah yes, good point. The onboard charger supplies the battery at more than 240V (ca. 380V to 440V depending on SoC), so it draws a lower current ... ca 17 amps max. Is that what your ClipperCreek reports? Your electrical panel provides 32 amp / 240 V, which is then converted by the onboard charger to match the Voltage that the battery pack accepts, which results in a lower current.

·
Premium Member
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
85 Posts
I had a ChargePoint Flex installed on a 50A circuit in my house. So far, so good. In the ChargePoint app, it shows that it's a 16A charger, but in the settings I've configured it as 50A. I'm not sure what I'm really getting. When I charge the car, I typically see a rate of charge that's just shy of 8 kW, and the car shows me that it's charging at a rate between 20 and 22 miles per hour.

I had an electrician install a 240V NEMA 6-50 outlet in my garage specifically for the ChargePoint Flex.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts