Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some testing and I realized that the car won't shut down if the seatbelt is buckled. So instead of using a Camp Mode on the WattCat app or trying some tricks with preconditioning schedule, it seems to be enough to leave the driver's seatbelt bucked up. The key had to remain in the vehicle. I did the test for over an hour and the car never shut down. This might be also a better solution when using devices that draw high amounts of power from the 12 volt battery since preconditioning might not guarantee charging the 12 volt battery (even if it does it most of the time) while having the car on charges it all the time. I didn't press brake when starting the car so it wasn't making any noise while being on. I thought I would share this since I have not seen anyone mention this before.

I was also able to do a little test with screen off, radio off, climate off and headlight off. After 1 hour the battery level was 0.4 kWh less, which means that the car still uses about 400 Watts just for the dash, connectivity, and to run the computer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I did the test for over an hour and the car never shut down.
This is really interesting. We had a power outage at the house for about 30 hours, and the car was charged to 85%. I wanted to charge my phone and ipad from the car (we still had internet from the mobile phone network) but of course the car shuts itself off after some time. This sounds like a great solution.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: I let it run for a bit longer and it was off when I checked on it after 2 hours. The battery was discharged by another 0.2 kWh, so my guess is that the car shut down after about 1.5 hours. Still better than about 15 minutes when the driver seat is unbuckled. I will try starting motor (pressing brake when starting) to see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
32 Posts
Thanks for sharing this--it will come in handy, even if it's only good for 90 minutes. I love all of these quirks (like the hazard light charging hack) that people are reporting.

·
Super Moderator
2,466 Posts
Great observations. I kind of have a hunch that some interaction with the car on a regular basis (like every hour) will keep it 'engaged'. I wonder if there's a global timeout that says "shut down unless some input detected within the previous hour.5" or some such thing. Question is, what would be those relevant inputs?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did another test and this time I have started the car with motor on (I pressed the brake pedal when starting it up) and it was a success. The difference was that the car was making a humming noise all the time (pedestrian sound on the outside) and I realized that the car didn't shut down when I took the key out. After 3 hours the car was still humming and it was still on.

The extra humming noise didn't cause any significant power drain. I did the same thing - I buckled up the driver's seatbelt, I turned off the screen, climate, radio and headlights. After 3 hours the car used 0.75 kWh, so that's just 250 Watts on average. The 12 V battery was at 13.7 V all the time, meaning the car was charging the battery all the time, so it sounds like a good solution for power backup and camping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts