Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a year of ownership without doing any maintenance at all, I decided to attempt to change the cabin air filter. The owner's manual provides no help on this at all. The first problem is finding the filter.

This UK I-Pace forum post helped me get some clues: Pollen filter replacement - Jaguar I-Pace Forum

The cabin air filter is behind the glove box and changing it requires no tools or skill.

Here are steps to change it:
  • turn car on, turn on A/C, switch to re-circulation mode (UK forum post says this is necessary to avoid a flap that appears in front of filter cover... i didn't verify this problem.)
  • open front passenger door (door must be open to allow glove box full travel without contacting the door and perhaps leaving a scratch)
  • open glove box and take everything out of it
  • raise glove box slightly from fully lowered position with a knee and depress the catches on either side of the glove box with your thumbs. press them towards the front of the car with just enough force to clear the catches and allow the box to lower past where it normally would.
  • detach the damper cable on the left side and let it retract fully (it won't retract to the point where you can't get at it any more)
  • let glove box lower as far as it wants
  • the air filter is behind an obvious plastic cover. press the clips on either side of to release and remove
  • pull air filter housing straight out
  • note airflow is from up to down when replacing filter in housing (so, airflow arrows on filter should be in the opposite direction as the up arrow on the housing)
  • put it all back together (the hardest part is reattaching the damper cable... do this before re-engaging the catches on the sides)
Replacing the filter took me about an hour because I had no idea what I was doing. Next time it will take 10 minutes or less. I used a Mahle part number LAK490 replacement filter. It was a bit snug but otherwise fit fine.

After a year and 15,000 miles, my old filter had collected a significant quantity of bugs and there was an initial not so fresh scent from the AC otherwise it didn't look that dirty. I sniffed the filter (the clean side... I'm not an animal) and it didn't smell noticeably funky without forcing air through it, so I'm not sure this will resolve the odor problem.

I know Jaguar will change the cabin air filter for free for the first 5 years, but I like to take things apart and do stuff myself.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Just replaced mine. It's a PITA to get that tension cable re-hooked back to the glove compartment box.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts