Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, if this has been discussed elsewhere, my apologies (did a quick search which didn't seem to pull up anything.)

I love driving single pedal, frequently not even needing the brake pedal to stop at stop lights. Once stopped, I do notice that it will hold in a stopped configuration until I press the accelerator pedal again. My question is this though - if I'm sitting at a red light and I get rear ended by some idiot - will the IPace's brakes hold in that "stopped" mode as solidly as they would if I were pressing down on the the brake pedal? Is it less safe for me to not have my foot on the brake at each stop?

Thanks in advance for everyone's thoughts. - Justin

·
Registered
93 Posts
Interesting question. I am not sure if it would be better to be on the brake or off the brake if rear ended by the idiot. I would think in a regular car that the process of getting hit like that would also have you lifting your foot off the pedal, just from the force and surprise of being hit. Being off the pedal may actually help as the energy from a collision would not just stop all at once with only you going forward, but the car would also move forward. We need a physics major to weigh in. I also do the one pedal driving and think it is great, but never really considered your question.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Reading through the manual I found out you can set the parking brake while stopped and the car will hold, and when you accelerate the parking break will release. I like this because I like to have creep on but also want to be able to take my foot off the brake at long lights. You can also do this with creep off if you want the brake on in case you get hit from behind.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
830 Posts
It holds by applying the brakes electrically. Once you touch the go pedal it "retracts" the brakes. This is the same as applying and releasing the parking brake.

Roll down your window in a quiet location (test in a parking lot, for example). Come to a stop (assuming level or nose up). You'll hear the brakes get applied. Touch the pedal and the brakes are released.

The brakes probably won't hold the vehicle being forcefully hit from any direction. Numerous videos exist of parked cars being rammed and they don't sit still.

Hollywood movie/TV parked cars are the exception and defy physics. They'll sit there without moving an inch, no damage, no flying parts except for the ramming car goes flying through the air and turning over onto its top instead.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It holds by applying the brakes electrically. Once you touch the go pedal it "retracts" the brakes. This is the same as applying and releasing the parking brake.

Roll down your window in a quiet location (test in a parking lot, for example). Come to a stop (assuming level or nose up). You'll hear the brakes get applied. Touch the pedal and the brakes are released.

The brakes probably won't hold the vehicle being forcefully hit from any direction. Numerous videos exist of parked cars being rammed and they don't sit still.

Hollywood movie/TV parked cars are the exception and defy physics. They'll sit there without moving an inch, no damage, no flying parts except for the ramming car goes flying through the air and turning over onto its top instead.
Thanks Ayepace - I do know that the brakes are electronically set once you come to a stop - but my real intent for the question is if they hold as tightly as they would with my foot on the brake pedal (presuming a fairly firm foot - which would likely get firmer as I realized that they we're stopping behind me.) And yes, I completely agree - even a car in full park will move when hit - I'd just like to minimize the chance of hitting a car in front of me. It's probably a Jaguar engineering question to be fair.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I'd still hold my foot on the brake pedal. If you get rear-ended, sacrifice the car, not your body, by having the car move less and crush more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts