Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the increasingly popular "bpfr" alert a few days ago so I read several threads on this board and watched a few vids about 12v EV batteries. I checked the 2/12V batteries in my 2020 I-Pace and they were 11.9V and 12.3V. I used the precondition app to start the traction battery which acted like an alternator and sent 14.9v to the startup/auxiliary batteries for 30 min. After doing that a few times the batteries were back within the normal range. (Not the ideal way to charge batteries but I don't own a batter charger) Did this a few times each day for the next several days and then made it to the dealer without the alert. What I learned is that many of the original factory batteries on the I-Pace and in other EV's seem to have a lifespan of about 3yrs. If you get the "Ok to drive with caution Brake pedal feel reduced" alert for the first time and your car is a 2019-2020 with the original batteries then they may be starting to fail. Check the voltage as soon as possible. If they are low maybe you can charge them back up by preconditioning the cabin, with a normal battery charger, a battery tender or jump them if you have to. Verify they are receiving a charge, see if they held the charge and check if the alert cleared. Get to a dealer asap to get your batteries checked and possibly replaced. There are threads on here about this alert being a separate electrical problem so it may be something else but hopefully if you get this alert for the first time it's just a low battery. Also try to keep a quality jumper in your car--it could save you if you're stuck in the middle of the road. Btw my WattCat app has been showing my Aux Battery Voltage is over 13v so verify yours is accurate if your going to rely on it to tell you what your battery voltage is.

· Registered
125 Posts
My 2019 just had the starter battery replaced. It showed the error of OK TO DRIVE WITH CAUTION, TRACTION BATTERY FAULT. I agree it‘d be great if it showed low 12v battery instead of a number of other errors. I had a 12v booster that I carry in the car for the problem thats been reported. However, this time last tI’ve I had to have both 12v batteries jumped in order to avoid a tow. Auxiliary battery was replaced 6 months ago, would have been nice if dealer would had replaced starter battery then.

· Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do not have Wattcatt but Mypace for iOS phones note the 12V battery as 13V and the TCU battery as a percentage (90%) . Is the second battery the TCU?
Here’s a pic I have saved from an older thread
I do not have Wattcatt but Mypace for iOS phones note the 12V battery as 13V and the TCU battery as a percentage (90%) . Is the second battery the TCU?
heres a pic I saved from an older thread
Font Rectangle Parallel Display device Multimedia

· Registered
678 Posts
The TCU battery is a small AA type battery embedded in the TCU module. The car does not report the voltage of the small battery, so none of the app that rely on data reported by the car report the value for the small battery

· Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dealer called fri and said they r waiting for a battery so it looks like in this case it was just one low battery causing the brake pedal feel reduced alert. Covered under warranty. Wish they would change both 12v batteries but I get it and will keep an eye on the other one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts