Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Google is awful, but so is pretty much everyone else. Apple limits info slurping, but the cell company, credit card company, license plate reader company, bank, and everyone else are working together. We have a corporate surveillance society.

Reactions: epirali

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I hate to admit it but I'm google all the way. I do try to minimize the information I share with them. Social media companies are much much worse than google. My brother also avoids google like the plague and as a result is less well-informed and enjoys fewer efficiencies than I do. In my view, absolutist stances tend to be counterproductive; the world is driven by probabilities, and tradeoffs are inevitable in complex systems.
Since we use iPhones & Macs, we focused on Apple. I feel pretty confident they aren't using the info we store with them, since they can't seem to train their AI as well as others (even after hiring the talent away from Google or Amazon). I also don't really post on the big social media platforms, specifically so they can't build a profile. It does make life a little less convenient, but it also means we don't get as many ads for things that could tickle our fancy and get us to do impulse buys.

Google is awful, but so is pretty much everyone else. Apple limits info slurping, but the cell company, credit card company, license plate reader company, bank, and everyone else are working together. We have a corporate surveillance society.
Unfortunately very true. The number of companies that exchange hashes of phone numbers, email addresses, and physical addresses, so they can link profiles is really annoying. Because of that I only give my phone number when it is required and use throw away email addresses for just about everything. I can't really do anything about physical address since I want things shipped to me, though I don't have to worry much about ALPR systems since I'm out in a rural area where the closest stop light is 10+ miles from here.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts