Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a chance to test drive the iX 50 yesterday.

First: the beaver teeth aren't as hideous in person. Still not great, but the dog eye direct front view pictures people are posting make them worse looking. Other than the teeth, it's actually nice looking.

It is ~10 inches longer than the i-Pace, and has a bit more trunk space. It's also a few inches taller, which makes it easier to get into (at least for me). The bigger issue is it is a couple of inches wider, and the i-Pace is already a wide car. Some parking lots could turn into a challenge.

iDrive 8 is great. Responsive and easy to navigate. Downside: AC controls are all virtual, and changing the following distance for ACC requires going into the menus. Both of these might be mitigated by an "auto" setting for climate and ACC follow distance, but the test drive wasn't long enough to really tell.

The interior feels really roomy, much more so than the i-Pace. Even the low end sensetec feels decent. It also has useful phone pockets in the passenger door and on the center console. They did have a miss by not setting up the center console pocket to do wireless charging (have to put the phone down into the charging bin for that). The ability to make the roof opaque definitely seems like a bit of a gimmick, given how well it blocks heat.

There are a few additional conveniences as well, such as power adjustable steering wheel, easy entry/exit, and power folding rear seats. And there are plenty of USB-C ports for charging devices, both in front (2 in the center console) and in back (2 in the back of each front seat).

Handling wise, even though the acceleration specs are basically the same, the iX feels like it accelerates faster. I think that might be because the suspension is softer, so the car rocks back a bit more (and it has substantially more power to push the greater weight around). The steering doesn't convey as much road feel, which is definitely a minus, but I think that can be adjusted with the right package (have to research a bit more).

My main complaints about driving it is it is SUV high, not CUV high like the i-Pace, and it doesn't have the ability to turn off creep without also enabling high regen / 1 peddle driving (which is how I have my i-Pace setup). The added height and softer suspension accentuates the sway in the corners.

The inability to configure creep and regen independently is definitely annoying, and I'm not sure I want to get used to 1 peddle driving, but the lack of a JLR dealer on island is a major hassle, especially since the TCU is currently toast (won't let me enable WiFi or mobile data, and when you go into the info it doesn't even have a MAC address it can display).

My reservation now has a build date, and they expect it to arrive in the next few months. I haven't decided if I'll go through it with. I did look further into the Genesis GV60, but getting service covered is iffy (it's at the discretion of Genesis on if they will reimburse for a Hyundai dealer servicing it, even though there isn't a Genesis dealer on island).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Have to say i'm all in for one pedal driving. And that from someone who loves manual cars! Just seems to work for me. My wife thinks it is too golf buggy like so there you go. Horses for courses.

·
Registered
559 Posts
In the end you will adjust your driving to the car.

Seems like you liked but didn’t love it. It’s more of an SUV than the I pace like you said.

whatever suits your needs. Some prefer the CUV and performance/handling others want a quiet ride from A to B.

You can’t go wrong. I stressed out for so long and in the end, it’s a car. Make it what you want.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Not gonna check out the i4?

Opaque doesn't really block heat? I got a mesh sunblocker for the MY and it made a significant difference.

The I-Pace isn't that wide:
I-Pace 84.2 mirrors out. 79.2 mirrors in. 74.6 without mirrors.
ix. 87.8 mirrors out. 77.4 without mirrors.
MY 83.8 mirrors out. 77.9 folded. 75.6 without mirrors.

·
Registered
559 Posts
The average car width is 5.8 feet (69.6 inches). The I pace is quite wide - Like many EVs. It’s three inches wider than my 11 Cayenne. The Taycan/MY is deceptively wide as well.

I think wider cars are going to be the new norm for favorable EV aerodynamics. So I guess the I pace might be average.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have to say i'm all in for one pedal driving. And that from someone who loves manual cars! Just seems to work for me. My wife thinks it is too golf buggy like so there you go. Horses for courses.
I'd probably get used to it, I just don't think it is as relaxing since it requires always using precise muscle control in your ankle.

In the end you will adjust your driving to the car.

Seems like you liked but didn’t love it. It’s more of an SUV than the I pace like you said.

whatever suits your needs. Some prefer the CUV and performance/handling others want a quiet ride from A to B.

You can’t go wrong. I stressed out for so long and in the end, it’s a car. Make it what you want.
I do prefer the CUV handling characteristics, and driving the Jag is so nice. Unfortunately there just aren't a lot of good options. Some of my requirements:
  • Dealer or authorized service center on island. No dealer on island means any service is at least 2 weeks, but more likely 3 weeks, w/o the vehicle. Any trips for standard maintenance would cost at least $830 in shipping.
  • Real leather. I've seen too many fake leather horror stories of poly urethane de-lamination caused by sun screen rubbing off from skin.
  • Ventilated seats. It's hot and humid here at times, and ventilated seats let you cool down much faster when you first get in the car.
  • Not running Android Automotive. I don't trust Google for anything, and Android Automotive (as opposed to AOSP) allows them to track me.
  • Not coupe/sedan ride height. My parents need to be able to easily get in and out, and they just can't do that anymore in coupes / sedans.
Not gonna check out the i4?
Here's my general thoughts on the various options:
  • i-Pace: No dealer on island. The TCU has been effectively non-functional since a few weeks after the S21 update that broke CarPlay navigation directions, so I can't get another OTA update to fix that problem.
  • BMW iX: Full SUV handling, other issues noted.
  • BMW i4: Can't haul enough, too low to the ground for my parents to easily get in/out.
  • Genesis GV60: No dealer on island.
  • Kia EV6: Fake leather.
  • Hyundai Ioniq 5: Fake leather and ugly retro styling.
  • Ford Mustang Mach-E: No ventilated seats, Android Automotive starting next year.
  • GM: Android Automotive.
  • Audi e-Tron S: Full SUV, handling similar to iX, and they apparently have a lot of problems with the sunroofs leaking.
  • Audi e-Tron GT: Can't haul enough, too low to the ground.
  • Audi Q4 e-Tron: Too slow
  • Audi Q6 e-Tron S: No launch officially announced, so probably late '23 or '24.
  • Audi A6 e-Tron Avante: No launch officially announced, so probably late '23 or '24, plus too low to the ground.
  • VW id.4: Too slow
  • Toyota bz4X: Too slow
  • Lexus RZ: Likely too slow.

Opaque doesn't really block heat? I got a mesh sunblocker for the MY and it made a significant difference.
I meant that the glass already blocks the heat pretty well, so making it opaque isn't much of a benefit beyond privacy.

The I-Pace isn't that wide:
I-Pace 84.2 mirrors out. 79.2 mirrors in. 74.6 without mirrors.
ix. 87.8 mirrors out. 77.4 without mirrors.
MY 83.8 mirrors out. 77.9 folded. 75.6 without mirrors.
The average car width is 5.8 feet (69.6 inches). The I pace is quite wide - Like many EVs. It’s three inches wider than my 11 Cayenne. The Taycan/MY is deceptively wide as well.

I think wider cars are going to be the new norm for favorable EV aerodynamics. So I guess the I pace might be average.
I think you're right, that cars are getting wider. That's definitely going to play poorly with how narrow cities allow parking spaces to be.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'd probably get used to it, I just don't think it is as relaxing since it requires always using precise muscle control in your ankle.

I do prefer the CUV handling characteristics, and driving the Jag is so nice. Unfortunately there just aren't a lot of good options. Some of my requirements:
  • Dealer or authorized service center on island. No dealer on island means any service is at least 2 weeks, but more likely 3 weeks, w/o the vehicle. Any trips for standard maintenance would cost at least $830 in shipping.
  • Real leather. I've seen too many fake leather horror stories of poly urethane de-lamination caused by sun screen rubbing off from skin.
  • Ventilated seats. It's hot and humid here at times, and ventilated seats let you cool down much faster when you first get in the car.
  • Not running Android Automotive. I don't trust Google for anything, and Android Automotive (as opposed to AOSP) allows them to track me.
  • Not coupe/sedan ride height. My parents need to be able to easily get in and out, and they just can't do that anymore in coupes / sedans.

• i-Pace: No dealer on island. The TCU has been effectively non-functional since a few weeks after the S21 update that broke CarPlay navigation directions, so I can't get another OTA update to fix that problem.
  • BMW i4: Can't haul enough, too low to the ground for my parents to easily get in/out.
  • Ford Mustang Mach-E: No ventilated seats, Android Automotive starting next year.
  • Audi e-Tron S: Full SUV, handling similar to iX, and they apparently have a lot of problems with the sunroofs leaking.
  • Audi Q6 e-Tron S: No launch officially announced, so probably late '23 or '24.
  • Audi A6 e-Tron Avante: No launch officially announced, so probably late '23 or '24, plus too low to the ground.

I meant that the glass already blocks the heat pretty well, so making it opaque isn't much of a benefit beyond privacy.

I think you're right, that cars are getting wider. That's definitely going to play poorly with how narrow cities allow parking spaces to be.
you need an e tron S. Reserve one now. And see what else come out in the interim.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Why the e-Tron S vs. the iX? The leaky sunroof does worry me because I live ~1 mile from the rainforest, so we see a LOT of heavy rain.
didn’t realize the leaky sunroof was that big an issue for you. I’m not familiar with the issue. Is there an easy fix?

You have a lot of unique criteria. Reading through your post a common theme was slow and ventilated seats. Two of my criteria (I have hyperhydrosis and ventilated seats really help me stay dry!)

I settled on an I pace bc the e tron s was more expensive.

between the e tron s and iX? You have been scarred by car reliability. I trust a three year old Audi platform to have worked out more growing pains than a brand new BMW platform. I think the iX is going to have more reliability issues for now. In a couple of years it would be a different story.

You could also lower the e tron or iX to get more of a CUV feel.

·
Registered
559 Posts
There is also the Mercedes EQS…

I assume Lucid is out bc of the dealer issue on the island. But they are so new that they are coming to you for service. So it might not be as big a hurdle as you think.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
didn’t realize the leaky sunroof was that big an issue for you. I’m not familiar with the issue. Is there an easy fix?
It sounds like it's a recurring problem related to the design, where the drain lines get clogged / pinched and then the water leaks into the headline and down the A pillars. A couple of people on audiworld have reported the problem more than once.

You have a lot of unique criteria. Reading through your post a common theme was slow and ventilated seats. Two of my criteria (I have hyperhydrosis and ventilated seats really help me stay dry!)

I settled on an I pace bc the e tron s was more expensive.

between the e tron s and iX? You have been scarred by car reliability. I trust a three year old Audi platform to have worked out more growing pains than a brand new BMW platform. I think the iX is going to have more reliability issues for now. In a couple of years it would be a different story.

You could also lower the e tron or iX to get more of a CUV feel.
I can definitely see more problems in the iX for the first 1-2 years, similar to what happened with the i-Pace. So long as they don't take the car out of service for extended periods that's probably not as big of a problem when the dealership is on the island, though parts availability now is a lot worse than in 2019 when I got the i-Pace.

The thought of lowering the e-Tron or the iX is interesting. I think it would be harder to do that on the iX because of the 4 wheel steering and adaptive suspension, while on the e-Tron S it probably wouldn't need to be lowered.

There is also the Mercedes EQS…

I assume Lucid is out bc of the dealer But they are so new that they are coming to you for service.
The EQS is too low, similar to the i4. I love the specs of it otherwise.

As you noted, the Lucid isn't an option because of the lack of a dealership, and because of the required boat ride they aren't supporting Hawaii at the moment. It's also too low of an entry.

My ideal would be for JLR to have an authorized service center on island and to continue the i-Pace into the glorious future of Bentley competition. Barring that, a Genesis dealer on island, or Audi releasing an A6 e-Tron Avant All-Road (the e-Tron Avant concept is gorgeous). I don't see a Genesis dealer coming in for a few years (market here is too small), and I suspect an All-Road won't happen until '26 or later.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I remember Porsche had a similar issue with drains getting clogged in the A pillars of cayennes causing flooding in the footwells. The fix was to simply cut out the middle part of the gasket to allow more debris through. Who need debris clogging in the A pillar? Took years before Porsche authorized dealers to do it. There might be a handyman fix for the Audi drain issue, like Ayepaces’s battery maintainer?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts

What's your source? Average of what and in what sense? All passenger vehicles on US roads? We including trucks in this? Are smart cars counted as much as F150s? A new Honda Civic Si is 70.9" wide.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Clogged sunroof and plenum drains is a common Audi bugbear going back almost two decades (my '02 S6 avant had the same problem). It's now common practice to include a drain line cleaning in routine dealer maintenance.

·
Registered
789 Posts
The Q4 e-tron is not even in the US yet with no expected date of availabity according to dealers. I was hoping to get one as replacement for my I-PACE. This was the same situation with the Audi e-tron back in 2018/2019 that steered me to getting the I-PACE instead.

The Cadillac Lyric will open reservations in May 19. Although you already said no to AAOS as to infotainment. Is that what you didn't consider Volvo/Polestar?

Also, not considering Model X or Model Y at all?

I just leased a Volvo C40 as a replacement for my 2019 I-PACE. Not as luxe in interior as the I-PACE, but I am quite happy with it. Straightline acceleration is about the same, although handling is not as deft as the I-PACE. Also seating position is more SUV like than CUV even though it is a coupefied version of the XC40 Recharge. Don't knock out AAOS until you try it. It is more responsive than Pivi Pro's "Hey, Alexa."
Sky Car Tire Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Q4 e-tron is not even in the US yet with no expected date of availabity according to dealers. I was hoping to get one as replacement for my I-PACE. This was the same situation with the Audi e-tron back in 2018/2019 that steered me to getting the I-PACE instead.

The Cadillac Lyric will open reservations in May 19. Although you already said no to AAOS as to infotainment. Is that what you didn't consider Volvo/Polestar?
Yes, all GM and Volvo (and Ford & FCA in the future) are out because they decided to go with AAOS. Otherwise the P2 could be an option.

Also, not considering Model X or Model Y at all?
I'm really not a fan of Tesla design, and I've test driven the S and X and wasn't a fan of their handling. Also, the lack of CarPlay is rather annoying (no plans to give my car access to my calendar). Plus Elon himself annoys me a bit too much. :)

I just leased a Volvo C40 as a replacement for my 2019 I-PACE. Not as luxe in interior as the I-PACE, but I am quite happy with it. Straightline acceleration is about the same, although handling is not as deft as the I-PACE. Also seating position is more SUV like than CUV even though it is a coupefied version of the XC40 Recharge. Don't knock out AAOS until you try it. It is more responsive than Pivi Pro's "Hey, Alexa."
It isn't that AAOS is painful to use, it's that using AAOS requires letting Google track you. I purposely don't use any Google products because I just don't trust them in any way.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I also don’t trust google. But I feel like them having my data is a necessary evil. It’s just too inconvenient to try and avoid them.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Yes, all GM and Volvo (and Ford & FCA in the future) are out because they decided to go with AAOS. Otherwise the P2 could be an option.

I'm really not a fan of Tesla design, and I've test driven the S and X and wasn't a fan of their handling. Also, the lack of CarPlay is rather annoying (no plans to give my car access to my calendar). Plus Elon himself annoys me a bit too much. :)

It isn't that AAOS is painful to use, it's that using AAOS requires letting Google track you. I purposely don't use any Google products because I just don't trust them in any way.
Well, there is still the Rivian R1S with a long waiting list...

·
Administrator
3,049 Posts
I hate to admit it but I'm google all the way. I do try to minimize the information I share with them. Social media companies are much much worse than google. My brother also avoids google like the plague and as a result is less well-informed and enjoys fewer efficiencies than I do. In my view, absolutist stances tend to be counterproductive; the world is driven by probabilities, and tradeoffs are inevitable in complex systems.

·
Administrator
3,049 Posts
Well, there is still the Rivian R1S with a long waiting list...
Very long wait list. I placed an order last September, projected delivery first half of next year, probably later due to supply chain issues. They're now up to 80,000 orders (T plus S), so if someone orders now it will be 2024 for delivery. It's also a different beast ... it's a full size SUV comparable in size to the Q7, though higher with more interior space.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts