Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had an i3 prior to their I-Pace? We are thinking of buying one for my wife & would appreciate any opinions & comments that you may have on the i3.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
There are i3 enthusiast forums, this is where I'd start my research to find the advantages and pitfalls of various models and options to make an informed choice.
I'd also perhaps look into a used i8, which is sort of a Fantasy/Fashion PHEV. The depreciation should be low on used models which can be found for 1/3 of the original MSRP with under 36,000 miles. It's the kind of car that makes a visual statement like a supercar does, but will run 14 miles (EPA) on battery and unlimited gas range.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have had both cars (currently still own the i8). Happy to answer any questions about the i3 you may have. There was a lot to like about the i3, but a lot also not to like. And beware, the carbon fiber shell design means they are very expensive to insure and very hard to repair. Any structural damage to carbon life module is incredibly expensive and can only be repaired by specialized work. There are stories of cars being near totaled from deep gashes on the roof from a garage door.

Also the rear wheel drive was a mistake in my opinion. They made the i3 false sporty, with an over responsive steering and accelerator to create the illusion of "sporty." You can adjust to this, but when it comes to emergency maneuvers there were a few times that I found myself over correcting because the car is too hyper responsive, and not in a good way.

I personally loved the interior design and feel. The tech is ok, but the ACC could get confused easily. And honestly unless its a good deal on a used one the car is not worth the price for what you get. I really liked my Bolt overall much better, and that was a $38K car vs the $54K i3. The ride and drive and every response is so much better in the Bolt. And the range is much higher.

I'd even go as far as to say if you are looking at a new i3 definitely look at the very basic version of the Tesla M3, overall it is a better driving car at a better price.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I love the i3 (BEV). The i3 REX on the other hand sounds like a lawnmower. Also the i3 is prone to tramlining and sudden gusts from bigger trucks kinda jolts you.

·
Super Moderator
1,589 Posts
I'm not in the market so have not done extensive research but I really like the bolt (friend of mine has it). And the new Leaf is getting decent reviews. And then there's the Ioniq, the Niro, the e-Golf, etc. All of those strike me as better alternatives over the weird i3.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I love the i3 (BEV). The i3 REX on the other hand sounds like a lawnmower. Also the i3 is prone to tramlining and sudden gusts from bigger trucks kinda jolts you.
Funny main reason I went from Leaf to i3/Rex was the range extender. With limited miles the Rex enabled me to drive my i3 anywhere knowing I can get home. With the Bolt and I Pace that is obviously not an issue. The Rex was a good solution as sub 120 mile range as a way of occasionally getting that last 10 miles to get somewhere. It had just enough power to get you there, but not too big.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had an i3 for 56,000 kms and it was a great car. The REx was a feature I sorely miss especially in the winter when battery range plummets. Here is my list of pros and cons:

Pros
-Range Extender (be aware that there are two models—one with and one without. The non REx are cheaper, so watch for it)
-Cabin design is excellent with great sight lines. At least up front. The rear is a little cramped.
-IDrive is very well sorted out and sort of makes the Jag infotainment system seem a couple generations behind.
-Handling is great for this type of car. You can really throw it around.
-Fast in it’s category (compared to Leaf etc.)
-All aluminum/carbon fibre/plastic means it will never show rust and should look good for many years

Cons
-battery range is so small it may not suit your needs. I never seemed to get much more that 100-120kms per charge.
-The REx is not an alternative to the battery—it needs to be considered as a last resort to proper planning. You can’t maintain a high highway speed on the Extender and will have to slow to around 110 km/h. It sort of drones and vibrates a bit, so unless you are OK with a 100km range average you will grow to hate the vehicle. All that being said, it sure is nice to have the extender and I think every BEV should have the option.
-It eats tires. I went through two sets in 56,000 kms which is very poor. They are very tall and skinny and my driving habits probably didn’t do them any favours. They are not terribly expensive, however you only have one tire choice per season.
-The ride is a little on the flinty side. I wish they softened the ride and eased up on the sporty pretensions as who are they trying to fool?

I traded my i3 in on the Jag as I felt that the i3 would soon be an orphan with little chance to sell it as ranges on all but the cheapest BEVs are increasing dramatically. 100-120kms will seem like a joke soon and your resale will suffer accordingly.

All in all I highly recommend the car if you keep all the pros and cons in mind. It is an odd looking car and elicits and polarizing reaction. Some people love it and some don’t.

Timbo

·
Registered
74 Posts
I still have my 2015 i3, in addition to the Jaguar. I've had two...the REX and regular BEV. Others have given more exhaustive pros and cons already, but in general I love my i3. If you are buying used, I think it is a fantastic value, a fun and nimble car to drive around town, and very comfortable. I like how neutral it is getting in and out--not too high, not too low. It has a surprising amount of space inside. The I Pace is a tremendous car, but I still take my i3 running errands around town.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts