Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

Blind spot mirror- How much warning do you get?

6K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  Qtown charger 
#1 ·
Having blind spot mirrors in the I-Pace is a nice change from my Tesla that had none. I always thought it was kind of crazy that a car as technologically advanced as the Tesla had no blind spot mirrors. They eventually performed a software update that gave owners a form of an audible blind spot warning, but it wasn't that effective.

Enter the I-Pace. My question is how far back is an oncoming car on the driver's side before you begin to get the blind spot indicator in the mirror? I've noticed mine is very late to light up. The oncoming car is probably already past my left rear bumper when the indicator first lights on the driver's side. It's so late in fact that if I only followed the indicator at the first point it illuminates, I'd hit the car. My wife's ES300h shows an oncoming car long before I would see it in the I-Pace.

I wonder if this isn't a camera alignment adjustment. It's hard to believe that the timing of the light is by design.

#2 ·
For me it works really well to cover a car in the blind spot. A car further back up to the left rear bumper is still visible in the mirror. The indicator starts lighting up when I can still see most of the passing car in the mirror and then all the way through that car being in the blind spot until the front of that car becomes visible directly next to me. Are you experiencing that the passing car is no longer clearly visible in the mirror and the indicator is not lighting up? (Apologies if this sounds pedantic but in that case you could perhaps try adjusting the mirror to cover that area better?)

#5 ·
Mine lights up on the left as the car is already pulling up alongside my car and well into the blind spot. It should light up prior to the car entering the blind spot. My wife's Lexus gives the warning a good 20' behind her car as it's pulling up in the left lane. The I-Pace is way too late.

I thought it was just my car, but now hearing Curt's behaves identically, it sounds more like a design issue than anything else. It's either that or both our cars are misadjusted the same way. :(

#3 ·
Having blind spot mirrors in the I-Pace is a nice change from my Tesla that had none. I always thought it was kind of crazy that a car as technologically advanced as the Tesla had no blind spot mirrors. They eventually performed a software update that gave owners a form of an audible blind spot warning, but it wasn't that effective.

Enter the I-Pace. My question is how far back is an oncoming car on the driver's side before you begin to get the blind spot indicator in the mirror? I've noticed mine is very late to light up. The oncoming car is probably already past my left rear bumper when the indicator first lights on the driver's side. It's so late in fact that if I only followed the indicator at the first point it illuminates, I'd hit the car. My wife's ES300h shows an oncoming car long before I would see it in the I-Pace.

I wonder if this isn't a camera alignment adjustment. It's hard to believe that the timing of the light is by design.
The blind spot monitor is my biggest complaint because it's a safety feature. According to the manual the system should monitor 11ft to the side and 28ft behind. The system doesn't alert me until an adjacent car is next to the rear doors. I've tried to set the side view mirrors to where I can't see the I-Pace but it hasn't helped with sensitivity. My service advisor says the system is working as designed so if this is true it's a terrible design. I've had many cars with BSM and they all worked well. I don't trust or use the I-Pace BSM.

#4 ·
Curt, it sounds like yours is behaving identically to mine. It's a real safety issue IMO too. The BS light should light up long before it actually does. I have to treat it as if I don't have it. I have to pay more attention to the passenger side to see if that one behaves the same way.

#7 ·
First time 2 days ago.....I put my blinker on to change lanes on the freeway, and there was a car next to me (my driver's side). My driver's side mirror flashed warning me of a car, but I must not have paid attention :( and I began to change lanes.

WOW....my main instrument cluster turned red and the car took over on it's own and took control of the steering wheel and righted itself back into my lane. I was really impressed.

Anyone else experience this?!

#8 ·
First time 2 days ago.....I put my blinker on to change lanes on the freeway, and there was a car next to me (my driver's side). My driver's side mirror flashed warning me of a car, but I must not have paid attention :( and I began to change lanes.

WOW....my main instrument cluster turned red and the car took over on it's own and took control of the steering wheel and righted itself back into my lane. I was really impressed.

Anyone else experience this?!
Deutsch, I’m trying to figure out what system that was that kicked in. There’s LKA (lane keeping assist), ELK (emergency lane keeping) and LDW (lane departure warning). I thought these warned or applied steering corrections only if you wandered out of your lane without signaling. I didn’t think they would detect the presence of a car and apply correction if you properly signaled a lane change.

That sounds almost like Tesla’s autopilot behavior. Interesting. I’m curious to hear what system in the I-Pace will perform this action.

I actually turned off LKA because I found it too sensitive. In my case it starts to alert you even if you drift a bit to the left of your lane. My wife and I laughed at the sensitivity of LKA because we have a friend who seems to always drive on the very left edge of his lane (he gets us very nervous). We agreed this system would be forever nudging him back to the center.

On the other issue, does your BS light come on late like mine & Curt’s?

#11 ·
I had an unexpected experience two days ago on a long jaunt to a project site. Disclosure- I tend to drive the left lane and do see the red line warning on the dash every once in a while, usually on very narrow roads or where construction has temporary lines that aren't always straight.
TWICE on a busy road with 2 lanes each way, driving in the left lane, 55mph with traffic lights, the car informed me via the red line right side warning that I was too close to the right line. The issue is that it only happened as I was along side a semi truck. The first time I thought "I didn't realize I was that close" (I don't think I was) and also "is it reading the line or the truck?". When it happened the second time again when along side a truck, the dash lit up and I was steered automatically by the car to the left. I felt the car take control and the vibration in the steering wheel (I think I set that as an option when the car was new). Altho it was a minor correction, it was a strange sensation of being "recentered" to be sure and I had mixed feelings about it. Yes, it did work but I am not sure why. I wasn't that close to the truck as we both were in our lanes and I did not have Lane Departure Warning on.

#16 ·
I know in many cars, our Lexus being one, the blind spot warning is performed by radars in the lower plastic panels behind the rear wheels. I assume this is the case in the I-Pace too because the owners manual includes a section called "BLIND SPOT MONITOR RADIO FREQUENCY SPECTRUM REGULATION STATEMENTS" and refers to frequencies consistent with short-range radar (24.05GHz - 24.25GHz) and power levels at a 3 meter range.

#17 ·
True, but for whatever reason, the BS indicator in my wife's Lexus ES300h comes on far earlier than our I-Pace. In her car you have a good warning prior to making a lane change. In the I-Pace it's essentially too late unless you have the BS Assist activated as Ayepace indicated.

#18 ·
Well duh. I was just out in the car fixing the things that got reset when they applied H280 and discovered that under the settings for Driver Assistance -> Collision Avoidance -> Blind Spot Assist are options for Off, Steering Assist, or Alert Only. Apparently it is managed separately from Lane-Keep Assistance. The steering wheel toggle mentioned by Ayespace then seems to honor that preference.

#21 ·
Hmm, it doesn't seem like our vehicles are conforming to the distances specified. I'd like to see the alert come on with a vehicle 20' behind mine. It doesn't.

And monitoring 230' behind for the 'closing vehicle' sensing...me thinks not...at least in some of our cars.

#23 ·
I paid attention today to how well mine works, driver's side only. Seems to come on when the car is a few feet behind my behind. It comes on while the car is still totally visible in the driver's rear view mirror. So in terms of functionality that's good enough for me and I do rely on it when I can't see a car in the mirror. I do not rely on it when merging, I've had a couple of close calls. I have not tested fast-oncoming/passing cars.

#25 ·
My car, at least on the driver's side, works much like Curt's. With that said, I've always tried to adjust my side view mirror so that in reality, I don't need the BSM. With careful adjustment, you can pretty much eliminate blind spots with the mirrors. I would not rely on the BSM with the I-Pace. It also seems the indicators are brighter on my wife's ES300h, so that when they come on, they're more obvious.

#26 ·
Have same issue. Have asked dealer 2 times to explain why blind spot do not work as described in manual. And warn before a car is beside me. Unfortunately dealer only compare to another I-pace. I driven Volvo, VW, Mazda and others and they all warn early. Like described in manual.
Think we have to get attention of Jaguar importer about this issue. As dealer seem not to ask them why described safety function is way off the described detection range.

I do turn my head before changing lanes but some day a small mistake may end in accident instead of having the extra warning that should be there.

#27 ·
Just to play devil's advocate for a minute here, if I'm reading the complaint correctly it seem to be that the BSM only alerts when a car is in the blindspot and does not alert when a car is still visible in the mirror (that is, not in the blindspot).

An argument could be made that this is a better design than one that alerts much earlier, as that is more likely to create "alarm fatigue" and cause users to subconsciously ignore the BSM alert.

#28 ·
Just to play devil's advocate for a minute here, if I'm reading the complaint correctly it seem to be that the BSM only alerts when a car is in the blindspot and does not alert when a car is still visible in the mirror (that is, not in the blindspot).

An argument could be made that this is a better design than one that alerts much earlier, as that is more likely to create "alarm fatigue" and cause users to subconsciously ignore the BSM alert.
I'd disagree with that. I'd rather know what's coming up behind me, prior to it entering my blindspot, as I'm contemplating a lane change. To me this is far preferable than only being alerted once the car is already in my blind spot.

My wife's Lexus gives me a perfect opportunity to compare both approaches (and I'd contend that what's happening in the I-Pace is not actually JLR's 'approach' to this, but rather a poor implementation and actually a deviation from what's described in the manual). I feel much safer with the BSM implementation in the Lexus than mine. In fact, every car I've ever driven with BSM uses the same approximate warning distances as does her Lexus. It's only the I-Pace that's very different. So I don't think every other car has a poorer design and only the I-Pace has it right.

I'd just caution everyone to make sure they have their mirrors properly adjusted as if you had no BSM capability. That's what I've done.

#36 ·
This is my first car with BSM so I have nothing to compare the ipace to. I don’t have an issue with how it functions. I would prefer the light not come on when the car is behind my rear bumper and still in view in my rear view mirror. When the light is on it is because there is a car in my blind spot.

#38 · (Edited)
Just FYI: Out of curiosity I tried to see if I could find where the blind spot radar lives in the I-Pace, but the closest match I could find was for the F-Type and on some Land Rovers. They were all pretty much in the same area. I imagine ours is in a very similar location but with the bottom sealed up by the diffuser I cannot get eyes on it.

When I was out this morning I paid attention to this. For cars running at or near the same speed my mirror warning was displayed until they were in my side mirror and their front bumper was at least 10-15 behind my back bumper. I didn't get a test of the closing-vehicle warning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.