Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
This from the manual on "Blind Spot" and "Closing Vehicle":

View attachment 4125 View attachment 4126
Hmm, it doesn't seem like our vehicles are conforming to the distances specified. I'd like to see the alert come on with a vehicle 20' behind mine. It doesn't.

And monitoring 230' behind for the 'closing vehicle' sensing...me thinks not...at least in some of our cars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
True, but for whatever reason, the BS indicator in my wife's Lexus ES300h comes on far earlier than our I-Pace. In her car you have a good warning prior to making a lane change. In the I-Pace it's essentially too late unless you have the BS Assist activated as Ayepace indicated.
Ken - as you know, my and I have a L 300H also and would agree with you that you always get lots of warning with its BS system. My Volvo T8 had a very good system also. I have been reading this discussion and appreciate the heads-up. I am going to go out and test my IPACE BS system.

·
Super Moderator
2,092 Posts
I paid attention today to how well mine works, driver's side only. Seems to come on when the car is a few feet behind my behind. It comes on while the car is still totally visible in the driver's rear view mirror. So in terms of functionality that's good enough for me and I do rely on it when I can't see a car in the mirror. I do not rely on it when merging, I've had a couple of close calls. I have not tested fast-oncoming/passing cars.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I paid attention today to how well mine works, driver's side only. Seems to come on when the car is a few feet behind my behind. It comes on while the car is still totally visible in the driver's rear view mirror. So in terms of functionality that's good enough for me and I do rely on it when I can't see a car in the mirror. I do not rely on it when merging, I've had a couple of close calls. I have not tested fast-oncoming/passing cars.
My BSM doesn't alert until the other vehicle is no longer visible on either the rear or side view mirrors. I've even tried adjusting the side view outwards to the point where I no longer see any of my car in the reflection.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My car, at least on the driver's side, works much like Curt's. With that said, I've always tried to adjust my side view mirror so that in reality, I don't need the BSM. With careful adjustment, you can pretty much eliminate blind spots with the mirrors. I would not rely on the BSM with the I-Pace. It also seems the indicators are brighter on my wife's ES300h, so that when they come on, they're more obvious.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have same issue. Have asked dealer 2 times to explain why blind spot do not work as described in manual. And warn before a car is beside me. Unfortunately dealer only compare to another I-pace. I driven Volvo, VW, Mazda and others and they all warn early. Like described in manual.
Think we have to get attention of Jaguar importer about this issue. As dealer seem not to ask them why described safety function is way off the described detection range.

I do turn my head before changing lanes but some day a small mistake may end in accident instead of having the extra warning that should be there.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just to play devil's advocate for a minute here, if I'm reading the complaint correctly it seem to be that the BSM only alerts when a car is in the blindspot and does not alert when a car is still visible in the mirror (that is, not in the blindspot).

An argument could be made that this is a better design than one that alerts much earlier, as that is more likely to create "alarm fatigue" and cause users to subconsciously ignore the BSM alert.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just to play devil's advocate for a minute here, if I'm reading the complaint correctly it seem to be that the BSM only alerts when a car is in the blindspot and does not alert when a car is still visible in the mirror (that is, not in the blindspot).

An argument could be made that this is a better design than one that alerts much earlier, as that is more likely to create "alarm fatigue" and cause users to subconsciously ignore the BSM alert.
I'd disagree with that. I'd rather know what's coming up behind me, prior to it entering my blindspot, as I'm contemplating a lane change. To me this is far preferable than only being alerted once the car is already in my blind spot.

My wife's Lexus gives me a perfect opportunity to compare both approaches (and I'd contend that what's happening in the I-Pace is not actually JLR's 'approach' to this, but rather a poor implementation and actually a deviation from what's described in the manual). I feel much safer with the BSM implementation in the Lexus than mine. In fact, every car I've ever driven with BSM uses the same approximate warning distances as does her Lexus. It's only the I-Pace that's very different. So I don't think every other car has a poorer design and only the I-Pace has it right.

I'd just caution everyone to make sure they have their mirrors properly adjusted as if you had no BSM capability. That's what I've done.

·
Registered
680 Posts
My service advisor agrees with kkemp but I agree with Ken. I've had an XJ with BSM and it worked just like other cars I've owned. I think the best supporting argument is the owners manual. It describes how the system should work but that's not the behavior we're seeing.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
That and the fact that for some of us it actually does work mostly as described in the manual.
Are you actually getting the warning light coming on when cars are about 20' behind your bumper? If so I wonder if for many of us this is some kind of an adjustment that's needed. It's hard to understand where software would come in to play here. Maybe there is some hidden menu where sensitivity can be adjusted.

·
Registered
680 Posts
One drive with both mirrors set much wider didn't seem to make a difference but I'll keep trying. I wonder if something is affecting the sensor?

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is my first car with BSM so I have nothing to compare the ipace to. I don’t have an issue with how it functions. I would prefer the light not come on when the car is behind my rear bumper and still in view in my rear view mirror. When the light is on it is because there is a car in my blind spot.

·
Super Moderator
2,092 Posts
This is my first car with BSM so I have nothing to compare the ipace to. I don’t have an issue with how it functions. I would prefer the light not come on when the car is behind my rear bumper and still in view in my rear view mirror. When the light is on it is because there is a car in my blind spot.
I get that, but if you have a car take up the whole mirror, then there is not going to be a car you don't see in front of it. So "whole mirror" makes sense to me and it has worked well.

·
Premium Member
2019 I-Pace HSE - Borasco Grey
185 Posts
Just FYI: Out of curiosity I tried to see if I could find where the blind spot radar lives in the I-Pace, but the closest match I could find was for the F-Type and on some Land Rovers. They were all pretty much in the same area. I imagine ours is in a very similar location but with the bottom sealed up by the diffuser I cannot get eyes on it.

When I was out this morning I paid attention to this. For cars running at or near the same speed my mirror warning was displayed until they were in my side mirror and their front bumper was at least 10-15 behind my back bumper. I didn't get a test of the closing-vehicle warning.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
353 Posts
Agreed. It is a "Blind Spot Monitor" not a convenient alternative to use of the rear and side mirrors.
While I agreed the manual leads the owner to believe it is more than that, it is probably unsafe to use it as such and get out of the habit of using the mirrors AND checking over your shoulder.
While teaching my kids to drive I have constantly reinforced the idea of having a mental image of what is happening behind the vehicle. This can only be done by constantly scanning the mirrors.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts