Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having blind spot mirrors in the I-Pace is a nice change from my Tesla that had none. I always thought it was kind of crazy that a car as technologically advanced as the Tesla had no blind spot mirrors. They eventually performed a software update that gave owners a form of an audible blind spot warning, but it wasn't that effective.

Enter the I-Pace. My question is how far back is an oncoming car on the driver's side before you begin to get the blind spot indicator in the mirror? I've noticed mine is very late to light up. The oncoming car is probably already past my left rear bumper when the indicator first lights on the driver's side. It's so late in fact that if I only followed the indicator at the first point it illuminates, I'd hit the car. My wife's ES300h shows an oncoming car long before I would see it in the I-Pace.

I wonder if this isn't a camera alignment adjustment. It's hard to believe that the timing of the light is by design.

·
Registered
38 Posts
For me it works really well to cover a car in the blind spot. A car further back up to the left rear bumper is still visible in the mirror. The indicator starts lighting up when I can still see most of the passing car in the mirror and then all the way through that car being in the blind spot until the front of that car becomes visible directly next to me. Are you experiencing that the passing car is no longer clearly visible in the mirror and the indicator is not lighting up? (Apologies if this sounds pedantic but in that case you could perhaps try adjusting the mirror to cover that area better?)

·
Registered
680 Posts
Having blind spot mirrors in the I-Pace is a nice change from my Tesla that had none. I always thought it was kind of crazy that a car as technologically advanced as the Tesla had no blind spot mirrors. They eventually performed a software update that gave owners a form of an audible blind spot warning, but it wasn't that effective.

Enter the I-Pace. My question is how far back is an oncoming car on the driver's side before you begin to get the blind spot indicator in the mirror? I've noticed mine is very late to light up. The oncoming car is probably already past my left rear bumper when the indicator first lights on the driver's side. It's so late in fact that if I only followed the indicator at the first point it illuminates, I'd hit the car. My wife's ES300h shows an oncoming car long before I would see it in the I-Pace.

I wonder if this isn't a camera alignment adjustment. It's hard to believe that the timing of the light is by design.
The blind spot monitor is my biggest complaint because it's a safety feature. According to the manual the system should monitor 11ft to the side and 28ft behind. The system doesn't alert me until an adjacent car is next to the rear doors. I've tried to set the side view mirrors to where I can't see the I-Pace but it hasn't helped with sensitivity. My service advisor says the system is working as designed so if this is true it's a terrible design. I've had many cars with BSM and they all worked well. I don't trust or use the I-Pace BSM.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Curt, it sounds like yours is behaving identically to mine. It's a real safety issue IMO too. The BS light should light up long before it actually does. I have to treat it as if I don't have it. I have to pay more attention to the passenger side to see if that one behaves the same way.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For me it works really well to cover a car in the blind spot. A car further back up to the left rear bumper is still visible in the mirror. The indicator starts lighting up when I can still see most of the passing car in the mirror and then all the way through that car being in the blind spot until the front of that car becomes visible directly next to me. Are you experiencing that the passing car is no longer clearly visible in the mirror and the indicator is not lighting up? (Apologies if this sounds pedantic but in that case you could perhaps try adjusting the mirror to cover that area better?)
Mine lights up on the left as the car is already pulling up alongside my car and well into the blind spot. It should light up prior to the car entering the blind spot. My wife's Lexus gives the warning a good 20' behind her car as it's pulling up in the left lane. The I-Pace is way too late.

I thought it was just my car, but now hearing Curt's behaves identically, it sounds more like a design issue than anything else. It's either that or both our cars are misadjusted the same way. :(

·
Registered
680 Posts
Mine lights up on the left as the car is already pulling up alongside my car and well into the blind spot. It should light up prior to the car entering the blind spot. My wife's Lexus gives the warning a good 20' behind her car as it's pulling up in the left lane. The I-Pace is way too late.

I thought it was just my car, but now hearing Curt's behaves identically, it sounds more like a design issue than anything else. It's either that or both our cars are misadjusted the same way. :(
I sat in the passenger seat while my son drove. He called out when the BS (good acronym!) light illuminated and I would check both sides to see where the other vehicle was. The passenger side is a little better but the other vehicle was still past the rear bumper. Cars on the driver's side were at the rear door before the light would illuminate.

Ken, it's nice to know that our cars have some similarities. I was beginning to wonder... ;)

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
First time 2 days ago.....I put my blinker on to change lanes on the freeway, and there was a car next to me (my driver's side). My driver's side mirror flashed warning me of a car, but I must not have paid attention :( and I began to change lanes.

WOW....my main instrument cluster turned red and the car took over on it's own and took control of the steering wheel and righted itself back into my lane. I was really impressed.

Anyone else experience this?!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First time 2 days ago.....I put my blinker on to change lanes on the freeway, and there was a car next to me (my driver's side). My driver's side mirror flashed warning me of a car, but I must not have paid attention :( and I began to change lanes.

WOW....my main instrument cluster turned red and the car took over on it's own and took control of the steering wheel and righted itself back into my lane. I was really impressed.

Deutsch, I’m trying to figure out what system that was that kicked in. There’s LKA (lane keeping assist), ELK (emergency lane keeping) and LDW (lane departure warning). I thought these warned or applied steering corrections only if you wandered out of your lane without signaling. I didn’t think they would detect the presence of a car and apply correction if you properly signaled a lane change.

That sounds almost like Tesla’s autopilot behavior. Interesting. I’m curious to hear what system in the I-Pace will perform this action.

I actually turned off LKA because I found it too sensitive. In my case it starts to alert you even if you drift a bit to the left of your lane. My wife and I laughed at the sensitivity of LKA because we have a friend who seems to always drive on the very left edge of his lane (he gets us very nervous). We agreed this system would be forever nudging him back to the center.

On the other issue, does your BS light come on late like mine & Curt’s?

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
666 Posts
Look up Blind Spot Assist in i-Guide. Press the right side steering wheel button pad in the lower right (the lane markers) to activate/deactivate.

·
Premium Member
2019 I-Pace HSE - Borasco Grey
185 Posts

Yeah, I mistakenly tried to change lanes into someone in the blind spot once too despite priding myself in never being THAT guy, especially having been a long-time motorcyclist where it is even more deadly to do so. I got the not-at-all-subtle automatic pushback into my lane. I was happy with it that time! That was when I was using LKA in assist mode instead of vibration mode.

I eventually tired of the nudging enough in situations where I didn't think it was warranted that I've switched to vibrate mode (moving towards the inside of a sweeping turn and throwing me off my line). I imagine that it will now only vibrate if I attempt to move into another car but I haven't found out yet.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had an unexpected experience two days ago on a long jaunt to a project site. Disclosure- I tend to drive the left lane and do see the red line warning on the dash every once in a while, usually on very narrow roads or where construction has temporary lines that aren't always straight.
TWICE on a busy road with 2 lanes each way, driving in the left lane, 55mph with traffic lights, the car informed me via the red line right side warning that I was too close to the right line. The issue is that it only happened as I was along side a semi truck. The first time I thought "I didn't realize I was that close" (I don't think I was) and also "is it reading the line or the truck?". When it happened the second time again when along side a truck, the dash lit up and I was steered automatically by the car to the left. I felt the car take control and the vibration in the steering wheel (I think I set that as an option when the car was new). Altho it was a minor correction, it was a strange sensation of being "recentered" to be sure and I had mixed feelings about it. Yes, it did work but I am not sure why. I wasn't that close to the truck as we both were in our lanes and I did not have Lane Departure Warning on.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Deutsch, I’m trying to figure out what system that was that kicked in. There’s LKA (lane keeping assist), ELK (emergency lane keeping) and LDW (lane departure warning). I thought these warned or applied steering corrections only if you wandered out of your lane without signaling. I didn’t think they would detect the presence of a car and apply correction if you properly signaled a lane change.

That sounds almost like Tesla’s autopilot behavior. Interesting. I’m curious to hear what system in the I-Pace will perform this action.

I actually turned off LKA because I found it too sensitive. In my case it starts to alert you even if you drift a bit to the left of your lane. My wife and I laughed at the sensitivity of LKA because we have a friend who seems to always drive on the very left edge of his lane (he gets us very nervous). We agreed this system would be forever nudging him back to the center.

On the other issue, does your BS light come on late like mine & Curt’s?
Ken, I have not really noticed or thought about when my Blind Spot light comes on, but I do know it seems to only be if there is an actual car next to me, or right by my rear bumper.

Also, when my I-Pace "took control" of the steering wheel and re-centered me, I had LKA off. For the first few months of ownership, I kept the dashed line button on the steering wheel activated, but I found it to be too sensitive and it began to annoy me. I guess even in LKA is off, this emergency system will center you back in a dangerous situation.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Look up Blind Spot Assist in i-Guide. Press the right side steering wheel button pad in the lower right (the lane markers) to activate/deactivate.
Interesting. I wouldn't have thought emergency steering correction in that scenario to be a function of the Blind Spot Assist function.

Now if only we had an adjustment for the sensitivity of the blind spot detection so that it doesn't come on too late.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I mistakenly tried to change lanes into someone in the blind spot once too despite priding myself in never being THAT guy, especially having been a long-time motorcyclist where it is even more deadly to do so. I got the not-at-all-subtle automatic pushback into my lane. I was happy with it that time! That was when I was using LKA in assist mode instead of vibration mode.

I eventually tired of the nudging enough in situations where I didn't think it was warranted that I've switched to vibrate mode (moving towards the inside of a sweeping turn and throwing me off my line). I imagine that it will now only vibrate if I attempt to move into another car but I haven't found out yet.
That's been my issue. I think it activates too frequently where it's not warranted.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ken, I have not really noticed or thought about when my Blind Spot light comes on, but I do know it seems to only be if there is an actual car next to me, or right by my rear bumper.

Also, when my I-Pace "took control" of the steering wheel and re-centered me, I had LKA off. For the first few months of ownership, I kept the dashed line button on the steering wheel activated, but I found it to be too sensitive and it began to annoy me. I guess even in LKA is off, this emergency system will center you back in a dangerous situation.
Deutsch, based on that response I'm going to assume yours comes on too late too. So I'm going to guess that all our cars have this issue. I'm not sure if the BS warning is activated by the side cameras or the sensors. It would be nice if there was a way for JLR to heighten the sensitivity via a firmware update if that's possible.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
I know in many cars, our Lexus being one, the blind spot warning is performed by radars in the lower plastic panels behind the rear wheels. I assume this is the case in the I-Pace too because the owners manual includes a section called "BLIND SPOT MONITOR RADIO FREQUENCY SPECTRUM REGULATION STATEMENTS" and refers to frequencies consistent with short-range radar (24.05GHz - 24.25GHz) and power levels at a 3 meter range.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know in many cars, our Lexus being one, the blind spot warning is performed by radars in the lower plastic panels behind the rear wheels. I assume this is the case in the I-Pace too because the owners manual includes a section called "BLIND SPOT MONITOR RADIO FREQUENCY SPECTRUM REGULATION STATEMENTS" and refers to frequencies consistent with short-range radar (24.05GHz - 24.25GHz) and power levels at a 3 meter range.
True, but for whatever reason, the BS indicator in my wife's Lexus ES300h comes on far earlier than our I-Pace. In her car you have a good warning prior to making a lane change. In the I-Pace it's essentially too late unless you have the BS Assist activated as Ayepace indicated.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Well duh. I was just out in the car fixing the things that got reset when they applied H280 and discovered that under the settings for Driver Assistance -> Collision Avoidance -> Blind Spot Assist are options for Off, Steering Assist, or Alert Only. Apparently it is managed separately from Lane-Keep Assistance. The steering wheel toggle mentioned by Ayespace then seems to honor that preference.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts