Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

Blank Screen JLR Troubleshooting chart:

37K views 47 replies 21 participants last post by  gtquan 
#1 ·
If you feel brave, this was released on 16 DEC 2018. They still do not know the true cause of the Blank Screens. They are collecting surveys from techs who are working on the cars to try and isolate it. But to try and 'fix' the problem, JLR is telling their techs to:

Reset Procedure:

1) IDMA Reset:
Pull Fuse 1 (15A) from the QUIESCENT CURRENT CONTROL MODULE, located Right Hand rear quarter trim panel
If this resolves the issue please, reset is complete.
If issue is still present continue with step 2

2) IMC Reset:
Pull Fuse 5 (15A) from the QUIESCENT CURRENT CONTROL MODULE, located Right Hand rear quarter trim panel
If issue is still present continue with step 3

3) SICP Reset:
Pull Fuse 15 (15A) from the QUIESCENT CURRENT CONTROL MODULE, located Right Hand rear quarter trim panel
If this resolves the issue please, reset is complete
If issue is still present continue with step 4

4) Quick power mode cycle:
Turn Ignition off
Wait for 15 seconds
Turn Ignition On
If issue is still present continue with step 5

5) Quick sleep cycle:
Turn Ignition off
Single lock vehicle
Wait for 10 mins
Enter Vehicle
Power on vehicle. Start vehicle (Press brake pedal, Ignition on).
If issue is still present continue with step 6

6) Battery hard reset:
Remove 12V Main battery (T4) negative terminal.
Wait for 10 seconds.
Connect 12V Main battery (T4) negative terminal.

Still nothing? Escalate.

See less See more
#4 ·
I can't find maps in either the Owner's Manual or Service Manual, just lists of fuses and fuse box locations.
Did you look at the bottom of the cover? Many cars have a map underneath the cover.

There are 5 fuse boxes. One you do NOT play with (center under bonnet).
Left and right sides under bonnet.
Under rear seat.
Right side of the cargo area.
Your owners manual shows where these are.

#5 ·
When I checked the owner's handbook it mentioned one loadspace fuse box, but there are two. The one in the manual doesn't list a fuse in position 15, and fuse 1 is 20AMP, so I figured it was the other box. Googling for "i-pace quiescent current control module" got https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAGUAR-I...YSTEM-GENUINE-NEW-2018-C2D23644-/163121346422 as the first hit and the module in the photo matches the second module (towards the rear) in the right rear quarter panel. Counting from bottom left to right and top right to left gave me 3 15AMP fuses in spots 1, 5, and 15. Looked like a match, but didn't help, and put a warning message on the console. Traction battery failure or something like that. I'll go drive it around for a bit to see if that clears.

#7 ·
Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has TOPIx as their on-line service information service. It's a subscription. I paid for a month looking for information about updates and other info. Most the information I expected to find is not there, or I can't locate it with their search function. Like the trailer hitch and wiring, how to acquire the Pathfinder tools (reprogramming), or vehicle specifications.

https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topix/vehicle/lookupForm

#9 ·
When my touch screens first went out, all I had to do was a 100% charge, lock and unlock the car, then do a Slow Boot.
I get in, put on my belt, hold the brake and push the ON/OFF for a full 1 second. Now I wait for the car to boot up.
It will load the phone stuff, then music, then nav, then 4G, usually a Jaguar warning screen comes up, and I tap it.
I would not plug a phone into it until it's done booting, or put/remove a memory stick while booting.
When everything is up, then I put the car into gear.

Since I've been doing that, (often ignoring the 100% charge and 4G), I've had no black screens or sudden switch to Celsius on the temp knobs.

I'm very used to computers taking awhile to boot. You should see how long an iPhone takes to come on when it's been turned off. And after many years, they still have serious bugs in it.

Sadly, I remember when a 80486 booted too fast and you had a TURBO button you had to have OFF in order to get it to boot. Virtually instant. Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheet was just over 0.1 megabytes. It fit on a floppy. I'm not convinced today's computers are much faster than what we had when it comes to Work Per Hour. We just have bigger programs that are not optimized.

Perhaps the reason the I-Pace boots slow is it does some things that some other cars do not.
1) Hotspot
2) Carplay and AA
3) Smart climate controls
4) Does the diagnostics BEFORE the motor is turned on, ICE does it afterwards. You don't want >400v active until you've checked it first. You can't check an ICE unless it's running.
5) 4 LCD displays: HUD, Dash, Center Top, Center Bottom.
6) Runs under Windows. Linux is far faster especially on multicore machines or machines with less ram.

#11 ·
I get in a drive the car like any other car. I don’t give it any extra grace or special handling and in >3400 miles it has done just fine. In the couple times there have been blank screens, they have self resolved within a minute or so of driving. I think one time they lasted for several minutes, but I made a quick stop to get a drink from the gas station and upon restarting everything was fine.

#14 ·
Picked up my First Edition yesterday. Drove like a dream. This morning when I went in to start it up, the center two screens didn't come on. Tried the slow start method--didn't work. It still drives fine, just the screens are out. Have tried to see if it would resolve itself about 4 times today on various drives but they've stayed off. Have it on the charger now, will top it to 100% and see if that does anything. Not really that fond of messing around with fuses, but will take it there if the problem persists.

#15 ·
Sorry to hear #Pseudonym, yesterday I just crossed 1000 mi on my FE. Other than a rear camera view that 'stuck' on once (even while driving forward) until I hit the home button, I've had no blackscreen issues. What TouchPro version do you have? S18C or S18D? I'm still on S18C but elsewhere in the forum owners have reported "D" installed or updated by dealer (OTA not available yet?). Otherwise, my InControl app *has* frozen up (lost connection to car) a couple times, but charging the vehicle did reset that connection.

You have seen McRat's blackscreen checklist posted in this forum, right?

#16 ·
I do have 18D installed. I haven't messed around with pulling fuses yet but that is next up on the agenda. Charged to 100% last night and let it sit for 16 hours, this morning the screens still were blank. Interestingly I can tell the main screen is on, with no graphics, whereas the lower climate screen is completely off. I can't adjust the climate and its apparently stuck on blast furnace hot. :(

#17 ·
When the center screens wouldn't come on, I couldn't adjust the climate controls, the displays in the climate control buttons didn't function, and there was no way to play any audio or use the navigation. At some point I noticed that the top screen would show a power icon and the camera, parking assist, and auto park icons, but it didn't respond to tapping except for the power icon which turned the screen off. Two days after the center screens went out they came back on shortly after I started driving. I had scheduled a service appointment, but have cancelled it now that everything seems to be back to normal. I do recall that shortly before the screens went out the system had also lost the smart profile I created. That didn't come back, and I haven't recreated a smart profile. It seems a waste of time if it's just going to disappear again anyway, and I'm not sure what settings it remembers that aren't in the "default" (dumb?) profile. The traction battery fault warning that I got after pulling the fuses is gone too now. Never did have to disconnect the 12V battery. I did push the service button on the left side of the rear view mirror until it started blinking slowly several times, with no immediate effect, no idea if it made a difference.

#19 ·
Tried steps 1-5, off to try 6. Wish me luck! My dealer claims they have no loaners and keep putting me off until they do so this is where I'm at. 6 of my first 7 days as an owner without functioning screens. :(

#20 ·
I ran into a blank (upper) screen today after stopping during an errand run. The climate screen was still showing and responsive though. I didn't have time to try to reset procedures, but I did do something that got the top screen to come back.

Try using the voice control to tell the car to dial an incomplete phone number. When I did that it showed the screen control dialog to let me finish the number, and instead I hit the X in the upper right of the dialog. Once I did that the upper screen came back and was normal.

#23 ·
So when I went to remove the negative battery lead, the owners manual said the 12v battery should only be replaced by a JLR certified shop and it apparently had some sort of a locking nut on them(ones with the little plastic innards). So I couldn't get it off without really putting forth some effort and decided they must have a good reason for making it so difficult.

However, about 20 minutes into the next time I drove the car, the screens randomly came on in the middle of driving. And have been working properly since.

My car was due to go in this week and I called service advisor, he said if they're working no need to come in--and JLR "probably pushed a software update OTA" to it. I don't think he knows what the heck he's talking about, but I also think that there clearly are some software bugs causing this so letting the dealer mess around with it would likely do more harm than good.

#24 ·
I went blank for 4.5 days. Did remove the negative battery cable without issue. However that had no immediate impact on the blank screen. Like you, I was on a drive back from my office and everything came back on. It has been solid ever since - meaning no blank screens. Some lag in start up from time to time.

If there was any type of software update, it wasn't in the InControl Touch Pro or Telematics as those versions (down to the build for S18D) are the same as when I received it.

If you do encounter another blank screen again, definitely keep the appointment. At least have them run your VIN to see if there are any outstanding updates that need to be applied. There are still a lot of folks on S18C and some on 13.2 Telematics. One of the forum folks in the US just got 15.2, but that was with a TCU replacement. So at least have them do the VIN review if they haven't already.

#27 ·
I decided to wash and detail my car this afternoon and it rewarded me by going into blank screen mode. None of the slow lock/unlock, fast lock/unlock, fuse pulling, battery disconnecting, use of other keyfob, voice control, or charge to 100% tricks have done anything to wake the screens. Last time, it took 7 days for it to decide to un-blank the screens. This is pretty annoying mostly because the car won't go to sleep and drains the battery much more than normal while parked. I'm on 15.2 telematics and 18D infotainment because that's still what my dealer insists are the latest available versions and SOTA has never done anything besides tell me no updates are available. I thought 15.2 telematics may have resolved the blank screens problem, but apparently not. Have any of you had blank screens on later software versions?

I'm not talking about the top screen not booting for a few minutes or some other transient condition involving one or more screens being blank that quickly corrects itself. When you've got the blank screen problem I'm talking about, nothing shows on either screen, climate knobs show nothing and don't do anything, voice control doesn't work, the upper screen backlight remains on always, the hazard button in the center of the dash and the interior door lock lights remain illuminated after locking the car and leaving it for hours. The car's bluetooth always seems on in this state too. The car won't talk to the remote app or WattCat and it won't go to sleep. The A/C and defrost touch buttons do work in this state. It's a sad state with seemingly no way out except to wait until the car decides to fix itself.

#28 ·
Juice - Have you had H228 applied to your call? It is considered a recall. I recently had H228 done and they completed the update of all software taking Telematics to 18.2 and the fixed an incomplete SOTA update to S19B. If you have had H228 done, the dealer does need to turn on SOTA so that you get S19B. Once S19B is done, the dealer will no longer be in the middle for Infotainment system updates. Ask the dealer to reference Topix for Infotainment system updates.

Here is the header part of the release notes:

2019.0 I-PACE (X590), 415-01
IMC (INFOTAINMENT MASTER CONTROLLER) - SOFTWARE VERSION: S19B_19.40.4-436082, ASSEMBLY PART NUMBER: LK72-19C204-BA (G2430839)
INCONTROL© TOUCH PRO 19B1
Software Release Date: 2019-10-15

#34 ·
Blank Screens Issue Resolved? So Far, So Good...

My center console screens decided to go blank on a Friday morning and then came back to life the following Monday as I was driving to the dealer. On Saturday in between, I did all the fuse pulls and even the 12V battery disconnect recommended, all to no avail.

Attached is the service record of all the upgrades and checks that were done to my i-pace. Also, included pictures of the software levels from the upgrade screen.

Summary:
  • IMC, InControl Touch Pro Update S19B_19.40.4_436082
  • Two minor recall campaigns. (Hood latch & cable, sticker for charge port)
  • H228 Software Enhancement Programme
  • H237 Instrument Pack Cluster Update
  • Vehicle Connectivity System (Telematics) 18.2

Net result: Problem has not come back. (Knock on wood!)

I was actually very pleasantly surprised by Bellevue Jaguar (WA State.) My Service Advisor, Robin, was very professional and pleasant to work with. Recommended.

Hope this information is useful to someone else!

Attachments

#35 ·
My screen went blank last night. I took out fuse 1, 5 and 15, put them back after a few minutes; that did not work but at least the backlight went off.
Then as last resort, decided to take the 3 fuses out and leave overnight, and put them back in this morning before going to the dealership. The infotainment came back when I started the car. Woohoo! Saved me a trip to the mechanic.

#37 ·
I picked up my car after they did a recovery and software update (to 19C) to resolve the blank screens. The car has not logged a journey since before the screens went dead and now the I have the car back, the Remote app (and web site) does not see the car. This tells me that the car is probably not talking. The service rep had me delete and reload the Jag Remote app, but that did not help. I think the car is not taking up to the server, hence no client can get new data.

Anyone seen this and had it resolved?

Thanks

#38 ·
Something similar happened to me. I tried several things, including pressing the little wrench button, spoke customer service for them to try to reset, etc. finally I went onto the computer and used the log out of all devices button. Rebooted the computer, rebooted my phone logged back into the app on the computer and phone and everything worked, including loading all the journey data for the few days I went without response.

However, your success is not assured, as I recall another user tried that and it didn’t work for them.

#40 ·
My first real issue with the car after 10 months. Blank screen - main screen and climate control. I blame my wife - her body sends out mini EMPs and disrupts electrical equipment. I was driving her around doing her errands when it went blank. I recall a printer/scanner not working until I had her move 6 feet away in the past.

Anyway it's been over 24 hrs now. Main screen is continually on as it is warm even after the car has been turned off overnight and still has a slight glow. Steering wheel controls on the left don't work - trip/volume/phone buttons. I can turn A/C on off with the separate button but climate knobs are blank. Actually just had the infotainment update OTA for the first time about 4 weeks ago. Also can't contact the car via the app or watt cat. The app was down for few days recently but was back up a few days ago.

I've booked in at Budds in Oakville on Monday. Unfortunately they don't offer free loaners - rental for $29/day. So much for Jaguar care. I assumed there would be a complimentary replacement vehicle but I guess it's dealer specific. Hard times for Jaguar.

Going to charge the car fully and see if this resets something. I'm wondering if the screen being on continuosly will drain my 12V battery if left too long without driving it / turning it on.

#45 ·
My first real issue with the car after 10 months. Blank screen - main screen and climate control. I blame my wife - her body sends out mini EMPs and disrupts electrical equipment. I was driving her around doing her errands when it went blank. I recall a printer/scanner not working until I had her move 6 feet away in the past.

Anyway it's been over 24 hrs now. Main screen is continually on as it is warm even after the car has been turned off overnight and still has a slight glow. Steering wheel controls on the left don't work - trip/volume/phone buttons. I can turn A/C on off with the separate button but climate knobs are blank. Actually just had the infotainment update OTA for the first time about 4 weeks ago. Also can't contact the car via the app or watt cat. The app was down for few days recently but was back up a few days ago.

I've booked in at Budds in Oakville on Monday. Unfortunately they don't offer free loaners - rental for $29/day. So much for Jaguar care. I assumed there would be a complimentary replacement vehicle but I guess it's dealer specific. Hard times for Jaguar.

Going to charge the car fully and see if this resets something. I'm wondering if the screen being on continuosly will drain my 12V battery if left too long without driving it / turning it on.
I had the same thing happen this weekend. Screens went dead for a few days, but the big screen was always on (you cans the glow in the dark and warm to the touch). The lower middle console (climate/audio) screen came back yesterday afternoon but the temperature knob (while showing the temp) was unresponsive and the main screen remained off. When I arrived home and turned the car off, the main screen showed a graphic of the cameras (I think) before going to the Jaguar logo, then went off "normally (no glow). All went on normally this morning and seems back to normal.

The car began responding to the App (so it communicated with JLR) last night, which was not the case for several days (a precursor to the screws failing).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.