Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts
So when I went to remove the negative battery lead, the owners manual said the 12v battery should only be replaced by a JLR certified shop and it apparently had some sort of a locking nut on them(ones with the little plastic innards). So I couldn't get it off without really putting forth some effort and decided they must have a good reason for making it so difficult.

However, about 20 minutes into the next time I drove the car, the screens randomly came on in the middle of driving. And have been working properly since.

My car was due to go in this week and I called service advisor, he said if they're working no need to come in--and JLR "probably pushed a software update OTA" to it. I don't think he knows what the heck he's talking about, but I also think that there clearly are some software bugs causing this so letting the dealer mess around with it would likely do more harm than good.

So when I went to remove the negative battery lead, the owners manual said the 12v battery should only be replaced by a JLR certified shop and it apparently had some sort of a locking nut on them(ones with the little plastic innards). So I couldn't get it off without really putting forth some effort and decided they must have a good reason for making it so difficult.

However, about 20 minutes into the next time I drove the car, the screens randomly came on in the middle of driving. And have been working properly since.

My car was due to go in this week and I called service advisor, he said if they're working no need to come in--and JLR "probably pushed a software update OTA" to it. I don't think he knows what the heck he's talking about, but I also think that there clearly are some software bugs causing this so letting the dealer mess around with it would likely do more harm than good.
I went blank for 4.5 days. Did remove the negative battery cable without issue. However that had no immediate impact on the blank screen. Like you, I was on a drive back from my office and everything came back on. It has been solid ever since - meaning no blank screens. Some lag in start up from time to time.

If there was any type of software update, it wasn't in the InControl Touch Pro or Telematics as those versions (down to the build for S18D) are the same as when I received it.

If you do encounter another blank screen again, definitely keep the appointment. At least have them run your VIN to see if there are any outstanding updates that need to be applied. There are still a lot of folks on S18C and some on 13.2 Telematics. One of the forum folks in the US just got 15.2, but that was with a TCU replacement. So at least have them do the VIN review if they haven't already.

I went blank for 4.5 days. Did remove the negative battery cable without issue. However that had no immediate impact on the blank screen. Like you, I was on a drive back from my office and everything came back on. It has been solid ever since - meaning no blank screens. .

Hmmm. Maybe the car's just learning our preferences: when we like the screens on (leaving the office), and when we like the screens off (all other times). :wink2:

But seriously, prior comments about problems arising with "profiles" makes me wonder if those clever bits aren't too clever.

I decided to wash and detail my car this afternoon and it rewarded me by going into blank screen mode. None of the slow lock/unlock, fast lock/unlock, fuse pulling, battery disconnecting, use of other keyfob, voice control, or charge to 100% tricks have done anything to wake the screens. Last time, it took 7 days for it to decide to un-blank the screens. This is pretty annoying mostly because the car won't go to sleep and drains the battery much more than normal while parked. I'm on 15.2 telematics and 18D infotainment because that's still what my dealer insists are the latest available versions and SOTA has never done anything besides tell me no updates are available. I thought 15.2 telematics may have resolved the blank screens problem, but apparently not. Have any of you had blank screens on later software versions?

I'm not talking about the top screen not booting for a few minutes or some other transient condition involving one or more screens being blank that quickly corrects itself. When you've got the blank screen problem I'm talking about, nothing shows on either screen, climate knobs show nothing and don't do anything, voice control doesn't work, the upper screen backlight remains on always, the hazard button in the center of the dash and the interior door lock lights remain illuminated after locking the car and leaving it for hours. The car's bluetooth always seems on in this state too. The car won't talk to the remote app or WattCat and it won't go to sleep. The A/C and defrost touch buttons do work in this state. It's a sad state with seemingly no way out except to wait until the car decides to fix itself.

I decided to wash and detail my car this afternoon and it rewarded me by going into blank screen mode. None of the slow lock/unlock, fast lock/unlock, fuse pulling, battery disconnecting, use of other keyfob, voice control, or charge to 100% tricks have done anything to wake the screens. Last time, it took 7 days for it to decide to un-blank the screens. This is pretty annoying mostly because the car won't go to sleep and drains the battery much more than normal while parked. I'm on 15.2 telematics and 18D infotainment because that's still what my dealer insists are the latest available versions and SOTA has never done anything besides tell me no updates are available. I thought 15.2 telematics may have resolved the blank screens problem, but apparently not. Have any of you had blank screens on later software versions?

I'm not talking about the top screen not booting for a few minutes or some other transient condition involving one or more screens being blank that quickly corrects itself. When you've got the blank screen problem I'm talking about, nothing shows on either screen, climate knobs show nothing and don't do anything, voice control doesn't work, the upper screen backlight remains on always, the hazard button in the center of the dash and the interior door lock lights remain illuminated after locking the car and leaving it for hours. The car's bluetooth always seems on in this state too. The car won't talk to the remote app or WattCat and it won't go to sleep. The A/C and defrost touch buttons do work in this state. It's a sad state with seemingly no way out except to wait until the car decides to fix itself.
Juice - Have you had H228 applied to your call? It is considered a recall. I recently had H228 done and they completed the update of all software taking Telematics to 18.2 and the fixed an incomplete SOTA update to S19B. If you have had H228 done, the dealer does need to turn on SOTA so that you get S19B. Once S19B is done, the dealer will no longer be in the middle for Infotainment system updates. Ask the dealer to reference Topix for Infotainment system updates.

Here is the header part of the release notes:

2019.0 I-PACE (X590), 415-01
IMC (INFOTAINMENT MASTER CONTROLLER) - SOFTWARE VERSION: S19B_19.40.4-436082, ASSEMBLY PART NUMBER: LK72-19C204-BA (G2430839)
INCONTROL© TOUCH PRO 19B1
Software Release Date: 2019-10-15

Juice - Have you had H228 applied to your call? It is considered a recall. I recently had H228 done and they completed the update of all software taking Telematics to 18.2 and the fixed an incomplete SOTA update to S19B. If you have had H228 done, the dealer does need to turn on SOTA so that you get S19B. Once S19B is done, the dealer will no longer be in the middle for Infotainment system updates. Ask the dealer to reference Topix for Infotainment system updates.

My car exited H228 on October 7th with a telematics upgrade from 14.2 to 15.2 and no change to infotainment. Perhaps I missed the infotainment update by 8 days based on your information. The service adviser showed me they had SOTA activated for my car in Topix.

On the one hand I am somewhat amused by the randomness of experiences shared on this forum and the absurdity of repeatedly trying to explain to my service advisor that the information they tell me isn't accurate, but on the other hand I get in the darn car and look at blank screens and feel like an idiot for buying the first model year. I don't even need it to work right all the time if I felt like the situation would improve.

Oh well, I don't need screens anyway. The car is more pleasant to drive at night with blank screens especially after yanking the fuse that killed the back light.

I still love the cantankerous car and wouldn't trade it for anything else. I'm dumb.

My car exited H228 on October 7th with a telematics upgrade from 14.2 to 15.2 and no change to infotainment. Perhaps I missed the infotainment update by 8 days based on your information. The service adviser showed me they had SOTA activated for my car in Topix.

On the one hand I am somewhat amused by the randomness of experiences shared on this forum and the absurdity of repeatedly trying to explain to my service advisor that the information they tell me isn't accurate, but on the other hand I get in the darn car and look at blank screens and feel like an idiot for buying the first model year. I don't even need it to work right all the time if I felt like the situation would improve.

Oh well, I don't need screens anyway. The car is more pleasant to drive at night with blank screens especially after yanking the fuse that killed the back light.

I still love the cantankerous car and wouldn't trade it for anything else. I'm dumb.
Do you have any other Jaguar dealers within reasonable distance? You can see a lot of postings where there are dealers who are really, umm..., inept, and others that partner really well. I would call the JLR customer service # and see if you can get some help with the dealer if you have no other option.

Do you have any other Jaguar dealers within reasonable distance? You can see a lot of postings where there are dealers who are really, umm..., inept, and others that partner really well. I would call the JLR customer service # and see if you can get some help with the dealer if you have no other option.

I like my dealer and my service advisor. They want to be helpful, they just seem misinformed and haven't sold many I-Paces so they don't have much experience with it in service. If I go somewhere else, I'm going to make the experience worse for the next person who will likely be less patient and tolerant of nonsense to own an electric car than I am. We will learn together. It's part of being an early adopter of something radically new.

For the record, I was able to wake up the blank screens after 2 days by driving in reverse with both keyfobs in it. This has worked both times I've had the problem. It has to be driven in reverse, it won't wake up just by starting it and switching gears. It shows the backup video on the top screen with nothing else and then once switching to D, it reboots with no profile selected and then everything returns to normal. I have no idea why this confuses it into working.

I was finally able to get the dealer to manually install 19B infotainment yesterday. Then I had the pleasure of re-configuring everything how I like for the 57th time. Progress.

I like my dealer and my service advisor. They want to be helpful, they just seem misinformed and haven't sold many I-Paces so they don't have much experience with it in service. If I go somewhere else, I'm going to make the experience worse for the next person who will likely be less patient and tolerant of nonsense to own an electric car than I am. We will learn together. It's part of being an early adopter of something radically new.

For the record, I was able to wake up the blank screens after 2 days by driving in reverse with both keyfobs in it. This has worked both times I've had the problem. It has to be driven in reverse, it won't wake up just by starting it and switching gears. It shows the backup video on the top screen with nothing else and then once switching to D, it reboots with no profile selected and then everything returns to normal. I have no idea why this confuses it into working.

I was finally able to get the dealer to manually install 19B infotainment yesterday. Then I had the pleasure of re-configuring everything how I like for the 57th time. Progress.
Congratulations on getting the dealer to update to 19B. It is still a bit laggy when doing frequent stops, but overall, it has been a good update from 18D. Car Play is working very well now. Hope you can avoid seeing future blank screen problems.

Reactions: epirali
Blank Screens Issue Resolved? So Far, So Good...

My center console screens decided to go blank on a Friday morning and then came back to life the following Monday as I was driving to the dealer. On Saturday in between, I did all the fuse pulls and even the 12V battery disconnect recommended, all to no avail.

Attached is the service record of all the upgrades and checks that were done to my i-pace. Also, included pictures of the software levels from the upgrade screen.

Summary:
  • IMC, InControl Touch Pro Update S19B_19.40.4_436082
  • Two minor recall campaigns. (Hood latch & cable, sticker for charge port)
  • H228 Software Enhancement Programme
  • H237 Instrument Pack Cluster Update
  • Vehicle Connectivity System (Telematics) 18.2

Net result: Problem has not come back. (Knock on wood!)

I was actually very pleasantly surprised by Bellevue Jaguar (WA State.) My Service Advisor, Robin, was very professional and pleasant to work with. Recommended.

Hope this information is useful to someone else!

Attachments

My screen went blank last night. I took out fuse 1, 5 and 15, put them back after a few minutes; that did not work but at least the backlight went off.
Then as last resort, decided to take the 3 fuses out and leave overnight, and put them back in this morning before going to the dealership. The infotainment came back when I started the car. Woohoo! Saved me a trip to the mechanic.

I picked up my car after they did a recovery and software update (to 19C) to resolve the blank screens. The car has not logged a journey since before the screens went dead and now the I have the car back, the Remote app (and web site) does not see the car. This tells me that the car is probably not talking. The service rep had me delete and reload the Jag Remote app, but that did not help. I think the car is not taking up to the server, hence no client can get new data.

Anyone seen this and had it resolved?

Thanks

I picked up my car after they did a recovery and software update (to 19C) to resolve the blank screens. The car has not logged a journey since before the screens went dead and now the I have the car back, the Remote app (and web site) does not see the car. This tells me that the car is probably not talking. The service rep had me delete and reload the Jag Remote app, but that did not help. I think the car is not taking up to the server, hence no client can get new data.

Thanks
Something similar happened to me. I tried several things, including pressing the little wrench button, spoke customer service for them to try to reset, etc. finally I went onto the computer and used the log out of all devices button. Rebooted the computer, rebooted my phone logged back into the app on the computer and phone and everything worked, including loading all the journey data for the few days I went without response.

However, your success is not assured, as I recall another user tried that and it didn’t work for them.

Thanks
Something similar happened to me. I tried several things, including pressing the little wrench button, spoke customer service for them to try to reset, etc. finally I went onto the computer and used the log out of all devices button. Rebooted the computer, rebooted my phone logged back into the app on the computer and phone and everything worked, including loading all the journey data for the few days I went without response.

However, your success is not assured, as I recall another user tried that and it didn’t work for them.
I had something similar happen and logging out and in again solved it. Tried it this time but no luck. This seems different. Neither the app or web page have seen the car since before the screens went dark and when I click on the climate button, I get a message that the inControl went to sleep to preserve battery and will reconnect the next time the car is driven. I get it even as I am parked in the driveway after driving home from work. There is something deeper going on.

My first real issue with the car after 10 months. Blank screen - main screen and climate control. I blame my wife - her body sends out mini EMPs and disrupts electrical equipment. I was driving her around doing her errands when it went blank. I recall a printer/scanner not working until I had her move 6 feet away in the past.

Anyway it's been over 24 hrs now. Main screen is continually on as it is warm even after the car has been turned off overnight and still has a slight glow. Steering wheel controls on the left don't work - trip/volume/phone buttons. I can turn A/C on off with the separate button but climate knobs are blank. Actually just had the infotainment update OTA for the first time about 4 weeks ago. Also can't contact the car via the app or watt cat. The app was down for few days recently but was back up a few days ago.

I've booked in at Budds in Oakville on Monday. Unfortunately they don't offer free loaners - rental for $29/day. So much for Jaguar care. I assumed there would be a complimentary replacement vehicle but I guess it's dealer specific. Hard times for Jaguar.

Going to charge the car fully and see if this resets something. I'm wondering if the screen being on continuosly will drain my 12V battery if left too long without driving it / turning it on.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.