Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
I am really just appreciating the engineering effort that is there and trying to offer some balance to what otherwise comes across as a complete disaster.
The effort for fully connected functionality of InTouch Pro is headed in the right direction, but the current implementation is really buggy.
I don't think it is as bad as the early FordSynch problems, but there are enough points of frustration to make one swear out loud when then happen.

When the infotainment is running well.. It is really pretty good. Could use some more UI design, but it can be pretty good.

Until we get a few more updates that actually improve the Infotainment software, I'm not willing to say they are making progress yet. I do want the most recent S19A update as it will fix voice issues when receiving calls for Apple CarPlay. It should also load a bit faster. Also, when SOTA is working more consistently, then I'll be happy to say things are in the right direction.

For comparison in the current batch of infotainment systems, I drive a number of rentals on business trips. FordSynch works flawlessly now. Whatever Nissan calls their infotainment works great. Toyota mTune is a big improvement over their prior infotainment, and it works quick and flawless. It needs a better UI, but it works. None of those three have loading problems and none have given me a blue screen. The two that work with CarPlay work great, without call handling problems.

The point is that JLR is on the right track but really behind the larger auto makers in functionality and reliability. So let's see where SOTA updates get us.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I remember how BMW was slammed for it's early iDrive system and I test drove a Cadillac with the 1st generation CUE that was so bad I didn't consider buying it no matter how good the car was. I guess I need to keep things in perspective when frustrated about Touch Pro Duo.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The effort for fully connected functionality of InTouch Pro is headed in the right direction, but the current implementation is really buggy.
I don't think it is as bad as the early FordSynch problems, but there are enough points of frustration to make one swear out loud when then happen.

When the infotainment is running well.. It is really pretty good. Could use some more UI design, but it can be pretty good.

Until we get a few more updates that actually improve the Infotainment software, I'm not willing to say they are making progress yet. I do want the most recent S19A update as it will fix voice issues when receiving calls for Apple CarPlay. It should also load a bit faster. Also, when SOTA is working more consistently, then I'll be happy to say things are in the right direction.

For comparison in the current batch of infotainment systems, I drive a number of rentals on business trips. FordSynch works flawlessly now. Whatever Nissan calls their infotainment works great. Toyota mTune is a big improvement over their prior infotainment, and it works quick and flawless. It needs a better UI, but it works. None of those three has loading problems and none have given me a blue screen. The two that work with CarPlay work great, without call handling problems.

The point is that JLR is on the right track but really behind the larger automakers in functionality and reliability. So let's see where SOTA updates get us.
I'm not familiar with the infotainment on the vehicles mentioned here and I'm curious as to the depth of features that they offer in comparison to the I-Pace. I have just stepped out of a 2018 Porsche Macan S. I would say by comparison that the Macan is 1/3 as complex as the I-Pace but the implementation of the UI is superb. I had a 2019 loaner Macan while mine was in for service and the infotainment on that vehicle has definitely moved ahead. Great response time, well organised and more features than the 2018 model but not as deep as the I-Pace.

I too am hopeful that the I-Pace will improve over time.

By the way, the I-Pace is a far more exhilarating drive around town where the unfussed and silent power wins me over. I would say that the cars are much on par for highway driving except of course for range. However, the I-Pace wins for me as 95% of my time driving is in urban and short-range rural areas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Having just purchased a new HSE, I am astounded as to the feature set and functionality that Jaguar has pushed into the overall embedded electronics of this vehicle. What an amazing accomplishment of embedded control hardware and software. I would say that their development priority went into power electronics and drive control. What an amazing accomplishment.

Taking into account the inherent communication between vehicle modules, I would say what we have is an excellent overall result that with time will improve.

I observe a one to two-second delay when switching screens and I learn to be patient. It is through the necessity of reducing power consumption that the computers are put to sleep. Even Linux needs time to do a cold boot.

It would be great to see a bit more appreciation of what we have instead of unrealistic expectations. This system is a lot more than a smartphone. The software quality control must be a major effort that is not foolproof.

Having said that I feel for the earlier adopters and thank them as what I have just purchased reflects the effort and pain of that group. Thankyou.
I hear young appreciate your optimism. However at $88K, the chevy Malibu they gave me for a week as a loaner car as they tried to fix the bigs in my system worked perfectly. Although, if I wanted perfect software I would have gotten the model 3 which is now cookie cutter here. I spoke to a model 3 owner who felt robbed because he paid the extra $5K for the self driving and now is being asked to pay again for an updated version. They lost me after I put in my reservation and started selling the higher end cars to those who did not have one. All before releasing an actual $35K car. So I bought an $88K car instead. Jaguar is a car company that is learning software. Tesla is a software company learning to make cars.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I hear young appreciate your optimism. However at $88K, the chevy Malibu they gave me for a week as a loaner car as they tried to fix the bigs in my system worked perfectly. Although, if I wanted perfect software I would have gotten the model 3 which is now cookie cutter here. I spoke to a model 3 owner who felt robbed because he paid the extra $5K for the self driving and now is being asked to pay again for an updated version. They lost me after I put in my reservation and started selling the higher end cars to those who did not have one. All before releasing an actual $35K car. So I bought an $88K car instead. Jaguar is a car company that is learning software. Tesla is a software company learning to make cars.
I have just passed the 12-month mark with 14,000 km. Other than one early black screen event the system performs perfectly. Overall the car has not had one fault. I regularly drive off without waiting for any screen to display. I also find the GOM to be very accurate.
Now that JLR is switching to a new platform for 2021, I am somewhat jealous but will be happy to stay with what I have. What I would really like is a rearview video mirror.

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
681 Posts
@outbackgary after trying the new JLR rearview mirror with video in the all new Defender, I would really like it too. It is amazing!!!

I had my 2019 HSE for 8 months and never had a black screen, and I have had my 2020 now since 8/11/20 and also no black screen issues, or anything else.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I got a black screen last year (that took a software re-install and a few days to get resolved) and it just came back yesterday. Main screen and the climate screens went dark and the car does not communicate with JLR so the iPhone App has not seen an update in days. No audio control, no climate control and the main screen has remained on (you can see the glow in the dark) continuously. Wonder how much that drains the battery...

I wish there was a way to force a reboot...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Happened to me once. Took out fuses 1, 5, 15 in the rear simultaneously to reset the NAV and left overnight. Reinstalled fuses the next day and restored. Hasn't happen ever since...yet.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts