Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the news about Tiger Wood's accident and the "black box" data recorder, I'm curious what information Jaguar keeps about driving data. I know the Journey stores travel time, average speed for each trip. Cadillac's On Star (and many others) collects data on the few minutes before air bags deploy. I believe this has speed, brake and throttle positions and other info at the moment of crash. I'm sure Jaguar has something similar.
What does Jaguar have and is it available to Police and insurance companies?

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,208 Posts
It is noted in the owners manual that there is a "black box" in the vehicles.
Reference "Event Data Recording" in the owners manual and iGuide.

All vehicles for over 20 years have captured crash instant data in various modules.

·
Super Moderator
2,580 Posts
The data in the black boxes only go back a few minutes, they constantly get rewritten because data storage on those devices is very limited. If there's an "event" it may keep recording briefly but it freezes the last batch of data from before the event so that the circumstances of a crash can be analyzed.

The event data recorder accesses information that is constantly supplied to it by your car. So for your question, "What does Jaguar have and is it available to Police and insurance companies?", by law the information that was recorded by the black box (event data recorder) is available, but there is no super extensive real-time reporting. Some data are uploaded to JLR database so that they can be accessed by your app like Remote or WattCat via the API. The vast majority of real time car data are not uploaded.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Who does the information on the recording device belong to? How is this data recorder of any significant benefit to a motorist who has to ultimately pay for this device

·
Registered
157 Posts
It can prove you were not speeding before the accident! It usually requires sending the airbag module off to the company that made the airbags. (Although that is 20 year old info)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts