Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
I will look at the Audi and Porsche when they come out. Right now, i'm not convinced of the audi. Two charge ports doesn't matter since a cable can reach across the car, and you can drive right over them too.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I agree that the 2 charge ports dont make such a big difference but that it is convenience. As in my case the cable that I have is too short to reach under, over or around so I would need to buy a new cable or drive into the garage frontwards. Those cables cost a lot as well. But all in all, im not too impressed with the etron either, but im sure the audi boys are saying the same about the IPace.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Bjorn Nyland in a Facebook post (attached) had been hinting about some "unexpected" consumption test results between the TMX, I-Pace and e-tron but was prevented from disclosing the exact outcome due to some info embargo imposed by Audi. He released a new video about the e-tron in which at the 21:25 mark he discusses the results - I-Pace most efficient at lower speeds, TMX more efficient at higher speeds while the e-tron most inefficient at all speeds.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Look at the build/design of the etron, that thing is not aerodynamic at all and thats likely why it is so chewing up the battery. Will be interesting to see Bjorn in the EQC from Mercedes as this one too looks similar to the etron. Hopefully Mercedes will let him release the details immediately like Jaguar does and not make us all wait for day x.

·
Super Moderator
1,467 Posts
Uh oh. "It's the thirstiest EV I've ever tried" (at about 10 min).
He is fearless isn't he >:) (at about 20 min)
For the funniest segment tune to 26 min and keep listening for 3 minutes ... Autobahn, wiper fluid, Germany

Bottom line: heavy highway cruiser, thirsty, fast charging. Some nice features.

Regarding the efficiency comparison:
At low speeds what matters most is weight and drivetrain efficiency, and so the relative efficiencies are the same as relative weight.
At high speeds it's about wind resistance and there it's more about drag coefficient, where Tesla is best.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Look at the build/design of the etron, that thing is not aerodynamic at all and thats likely why it is so chewing up the battery. Will be interesting to see Bjorn in the EQC from Mercedes as this one too looks similar to the etron. Hopefully Mercedes will let him release the details immediately like Jaguar does and not make us all wait for day x.
The e-tron quattro has lower drag coefficient than the I-Pace though at 0.28 as opposed to I-Pace's 0.29. So ???

·
Registered
422 Posts
I agree. Audi missed a huge opportunity on the design. They could have absolutely ruled the passenger / cargo specs if they would have used those dimensions for the interior.
I liked many features of the Audi based upon the review. Wasn't too keen on the shifter to select drive, reverse and park. As a utility vehicle, the storage looked good. So between the Model X, the i-Pace, and the e-Tron, there are styling and usability features that are going to appeal to the many needs. I think it will be tough for new buyers to say they couldn't find an EV that fit their preferences.

I'm still partial to the i-Pace style, comfort, speed. The storage meets my needs with seats up and down. It's unique looks create lots of positive conversations with complete strangers. The market is getting very competitive which will help all of us get more charging options for those long distance drives.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The multiple surface / environment driving in Portugal for the I-Pace was also spot-on for me; demonstrating that the car can go anywhere and do anything. I'm sure the etron will be a fine, even serene, everyday cruiser; but for someone who loves driving, the fact that I bet we never see the etron on a track (i.e., why would you?) and that time-limited boost feature fall short of the dynamics and durability demonstrated with the I-Pace. Just the idea of having to look down to know whether the boost feature is available would be an irritant. In this price range the performance should always be there.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Yes, the instant full power of an EV is the best feature. Making an EV deliberately nerfing that feature is silly.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Good article....and reading through it I am now wondering if I should simply proceed with just my EVSE as well especially during the winter months when we dont drive so much...but my EVSE is at 220V :) :)
The only worry I / my wife constantly have is frying the outlets though so just leaving it plugged in unattended is a no go.
If you are that worried... have an electrician inspect the circuit to verify connections are clean and tight. And have electrician check what else is powered by that circuit.

Otherwise I would plug in and forget about trouble.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Yes, if you obey the 80% rule (your circuit should be rated at 25% more than the load), you are very safe. If there is any question, grab a cheap (<$20) IR Thermometer, run the charger for an hour and check the temps everywhere.

Your house is probably 15 amp breakers for wall outlets. JLR's EVSE is 10 amps. You would still be very safe at 12 amps. Building codes have some overkill built into them. A 15 amp circuit will take almost double that in ideal conditions. They must allow for MFR variations in components, very hot weather, multiple hot wires in a conduit, etc.

But on old outlets, especially GFI, I like to replace them high quality brand new outlets (cheap and a do it yourself project, or cheap for an electrician) for EV use since very few plug in devices run for more than 1 hour constantly, and as a wall outlet get older, the blades inside lose their tension and build up tarnish and carbon.

I'm paranoid, which is why I like to do my own wiring.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Next time an electrician is here they will check up on things. But that will likely be to install my on-order home charger and then all will be good anyway and the EVSE will only come out while charging at other places.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts