Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I can’t see him flooring the pedal on a turbo s...

Also can’t believe it’s his first BEV

·
Registered
265 Posts
Bill Gates and Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen imported Porsche 959's back in 1979. Gates worked to get the "Show and Display" exemption created so that very limited production cars could be imported even though they had not gone though crash testing and EPA certification.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Bill Gates and Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen imported Porsche 959's back in 1979. Gates worked to get the "Show and Display" exemption created so that very limited production cars could be imported even though they had not gone though crash testing and EPA certification.
I remember Bill talking about that when he was doing the MS Office? rollout. He said something about packing a picnic lunch at staring at the customs yard where his car was being held hostage. Not sure if he was joking or not. IIRC, it was about when I opened my business in the early 1990's.

Sidebar - the 959 is an example how our HP ratings have changed. At 3450lb, 444HP, and trapping 117 mph for the 959 Sport, today's AWD 911 is 3518lb and 443HP yet traps 124 mph. That's over 50HP effective difference in the testing methods from 1990 to today. Trivia - Microsoft was originally in New Mexico, and one of the things sold was a Z80 card for Apple II's so you could run Microsoft Business Basic. At the time Steve Woz could be reached for tech support for the Apple II, and Bill Gates did tech support for the Z80 card. I had a problem with closing files handles, so I called Apple. Steve Jobs told me to call Woz. He was kind of rude. Woz tried to help, but ended up referring me to "Bill" at Microsoft, who figured out a work around.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I'm sure Bill can hop into a gas powered car for the rare times he drives long distances.

My experience with very rich people is that they think they understand a lot more than the rest of us, but they are often blinder to their own limits than the rest of us.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts