Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I leased a 2019 I Pace HSE in July 2020. Car has 6k miles on it. I absolutely love my I Pace. However, I just took a job 2 and half hours from my house (110 miles each way). We are getting an apartment there until our new house is built in the next year-ish and we are selling our house and my spouse is moving into a friend's basement until we move to the new town. So, I'll be commuting once per week, 110 miles each direction. My spouse is staying in our current city until our house is built and they move down, so I'll be splitting my time.

Here is the problem. I'm on the outer limits of the I Pace range. There are literally zero level two chargers nearby in the new town. I'm thinking that I could possibly run an extension cord from the apartment window to the car to give it the extra juice and walk to work (welcome to small town living). My spouse drives a ton more than me and we won't have regular access to a level 2 charger in the friend's basement (in our current town).

So... my lease buyout is $48k. I looked into trading it on a Model 3. Tesla offered $41k for the car. Hard pass. Maybe a trade for a Honda Accord or CRV hybrid? Anyother way to get rid of the lease at reasonable price? I love this car and want to keep it, but the new job and long rural commute makes it impractical.

·
Registered
2020 I-PACE SE w/ 22" F-PACE Wheels
154 Posts
I'd get quotes from various online buying services (VROOM, Carvana, Shift) and see if something doesn't materialize there.

·
Registered
2020 I-PACE SE w/ 22" F-PACE Wheels
154 Posts
You'll want to make sure that your lease can be transferred as well. Check the fine print. Pretty sure you can, but I recall at least one person on another forum saying that they called Chase and were told that they do not allow transfers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone! I started the process with Vroom, which actually gave a much higher than expected offer. Vroom came in at $49k and the dealer lease payoff is $44k. If everything goes smoothly with Vroom, I'll get all my money back from the car (minus my monthly lease payments). I hadn't heard of Vroom until the reply to this post, so thanks Brendon.

I'm going to really miss my I Pace :( Maybe once we are settled with our new house and a level 2 residential charger, we will pick up another I Pace.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So... my lease buyout is $48k. I looked into trading it on a Model 3. Tesla offered $41k for the car.
Does Tesla buy out leases? Or did they offer $41K to buy a car from you that you're only leasing?

I have leased cars in the past, and unless you make a big downpayment you're normally upside down in them until the end -- the car takes a big chunk of depreciation at the beginning of the lease and you gradually catch up as you make payments.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tesla just buys the car that you are leasing. They payoff Chase/Jag Financial at the dealer payoff amount. However, if you lease a Tesla they don't allow payoffs (another reason not to lease a Tesla).

Update: Everything with Vroom went really well! I got my check this morning for the positive equity (about $5k) and Chase/Jag Financial got their payoff check this morning too. All in the sale to Vroom took about a week and half (may have been shorter w/o the bad weather in TX which is where there offices are). I'm really impressed.

@KeithJM - got an amazing lease deal on the 2019 Jag. I agree, you are usually upside down with leases. I was shocked that I was able to get all of my money back, including downpayment/fees (minus monthly lease payments).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your car seems to be listed on Vroom. Beautiful car; looks just like the 19 HSE we purchased a month ago. I think the price they are asking is very reasonable. We paid $53,700 with CPO for 7 years/100K from original inservice date a month ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts