Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI, there's chatter on the UK I-Pace forum about a SOTA update for MY2019-2021 vehicles that will allow up to 120 kW charging. It will apparently drop sometime in September after some other updates to the telematics software. This is great news if it's true and will bring charging speed a little closer to parity with the e-tron!

There's also a 2021 EV320 model that has a lower price and less performance than the EV400 model that's been introduced in Europe. It looks like battery size and range is the same for both (you can see details on the Germany Jaguar site). It's not clear that we will be getting this model in the states.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is great news if it's true and will bring charging speed a little closer to parity with the e-tron!
This would be great!
Though I doubt it will be close to e-tron. We would probably get a short 120kW peak.
The strength of e-tron is that it charges at 150kW rate all the way up to 80%

·
Registered
811 Posts
FYI, there's chatter on the UK I-Pace forum about a SOTA update for MY2019-2021 vehicles that will allow up to 120 kW charging. It will apparently drop sometime in September after some other updates to the telematics software. This is great news if it's true and will bring charging speed a little closer to parity with the e-tron!

There's also a 2021 EV320 model that has a lower price and less performance than the EV400 model that's been introduced in Europe. It looks like battery size and range is the same for both (you can see details on the Germany Jaguar site). It's not clear that we will be getting this model in the states.
Oh goody, another OTA update I won’t get! 🤣

·
Registered
24 Posts
Though I doubt it will be close to e-tron. We would probably get a short 120kW peak.
The strength of e-tron is that it charges at 150kW rate all the way up to 80%
Peak charging rate is definitely something the Jag seems to struggle with. However, I was pleasantly surprised to see my I-Pace charging at 98KW all the way up to 75% on an EA charger near Bakersfield on I-5 last week. The temperature of the car battery, the charger and charging cable must have all been optimal to sustain it for that long. An already warm battery seems to be the main unlocking factor for 100KW charging. Outside temperature was 105 F.

I hope/wish Jag introduce battery pre-conditioning for optimal charging in future updates.

·
Super Moderator
2,301 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised to see my I-Pace charging at 98KW all the way up to 75% on an EA charger near Bakersfield on I-5 last week.
Did you have the AC on in the car? (Either by preconditioning or because you were sitting in it?)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did you have the AC on in the car? (Either by preconditioning or because you were sitting in it?)
Yes, the AC was running the whole time due to the very warm conditions outside. I attempted to position the car in the shade provided by the charging infrastructure, resulting in half the car covered by shadow.

·
Super Moderator
2,301 Posts
Aha! You may be onto something there. I've been told by JLR to keep the AC on during charging, see point 2. in the first post:
Yes some energy will be used for the AC and therefore won't make it into the battery, but that's evidently offset by a higher charging rate? I haven't tried it myself ...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised to see my I-Pace charging at 98KW all the way up to 75%
Wow, that's great. I never had anything close to this result.
My fastest average charging rate ever was 83.8kW. That was charging from 37% to 59%.

I've been told by JLR to keep the AC on during charging
This definitely works when it's hot outside. I started doing that after your post about charge rate vs cabin temperature.
On the same EA charger and about the same temperature my max average was only 66.6kW ( charging from 24% to 55%) with AC off.

·
Super Moderator
2,301 Posts
The plot is thickening. Anyone else? I'm almost tempted to drive to fast charger right now to test this empirically.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Thanks for the AC tip. Last fast charge was on a hot day, I was running AC and I saw fast charging rates. Didn't put the two together.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
489 Posts
Are we sure the faster charging rate (as indicated by the charging unit) is not reflecting the energy going into the battery PLUS the energy used to run the AC?

·
Registered
24 Posts
As far as I can tell there are multiple factors that impact DC fast charging speed;
  1. The condition of the cars battery cells
  2. The temperature of the battery
  3. The temperature outside
  4. The temperature of the DC fast charging cable
Due to all of these factors, it is hard to reproduce any single instance of a charging session. I bet if I drove back to the same charger, the result would be different. The best performance I have previously seen is 100kW charging up to about 50% before it drops off. So this instance was a pleasant surprise. I guess what I am taking away is that I am happy the I-Pace can do it, but also know she is a picky cat that has to have everything absolutely perfect in order to perform at peak.

Also, interesting I have also noticed in Southern California this week that the chargers are being limited to 32kW due to the power shortages in the state.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts