Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It spurs the imagination. This one aims at JLR.

VW all-electric Land Rover Defender rival plans revealed

Volkswagen is considering adding a rugged all-electric Land Rover Defender rival to its upcoming line-up of I.D.-badged vehicles.

"There are no producers in this sector yet, [building] a robust electric car that loves scratches and wears them as a badge of honor," VW’s head of strategy, Michael Jost, told Germany’s Autobild magazine.

Jost commissioned designers to sketch out how the car might look to generate enthusiasm within VW to build the car.

While many modern SUVs have a round look to appeal to customers who mainly drive them in urban areas, Jost’s plan is for VW to offer a chunky vehicle designed to travel off-road.

The official sketch (above) is Jost’s weapon, previewing how a boxy, electric Volkswagen off-roader could look.

If VW approves the model, it would join the automaker's upcoming family of full-electric cars sitting on the new MEB platform. The platform allows either all-wheel-drive or rear-wheel drive and will be used to underpin 27 full-electric vehicles through the VW Group by the end of 2022, the company has said.
Boxy or not I'd drive it on the street too. If I could.....

·
Registered
112 Posts
It should have a tiny diesel power plant as a module that you can insert into the back for off-roading or trekking in the wilderness. If you bill it as a source of electricity for when camping that also has the ability to charge your truck in the event of an emergency, then maybe the eco-weenies wouldn’t get all bent out of shape. I can’t see people straying too far from civilization in an electric car.

Timbo

·
Registered
263 Posts
Land Rover Defender?

Now that's what I call an accessory! Probably mostly for war zones, and most of the cost would be paying the special operators in the defending vehicle. Some of its equipment could also be expensive, but I don't know the cost of mine detecting electronics.

Sure, you could up-armor the Land Rover instead, and pack the special operators into it. But then the mileage would be terrible!

>:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts