Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a couple pics from when they replaced my main battery. Surprisingly quick procedure and only takes a couple hours. I was fortunate that they let me go back and take a look under the car to see how it all goes together. Can you believe that battery goes for $60,000? Crazy.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,768 Posts
Awesome, thanks for posting that! That's what they should be doing, instead of having the dealer take apart the battery and replacing individual cells.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Actually surprised they are replacing the entire battery pack if it truly costs $60,000 rather than replacing the entire car? Yeah, I know $60,000 is a marked up price, but the whole car is marked up as well.

But I will say that is an impressive looking pack (notice the padlock on what I presume is the cover over the point the battery connects to the wiring in the car, talk about a serious danger if that got shorted with the battery carrying a charge).

·
Registered
252 Posts
One of the big worries that is slowing adoption of EVs is the theoretical cost of a replacement battery out of warranty. If a new one really $60,000? How will that effect resale values? We need some alternatives like refurbished ones, but I imagine that won’t happen for a few years.

·
Registered
689 Posts
One of the big worries that is slowing adoption of EVs is the theoretical cost of a replacement battery out of warranty. If a new one really $60,000? How will that effect resale values? We need some alternatives like refurbished ones, but I imagine that won’t happen for a few years.
This is why hybrid/EV resale values are horrible.
Ive seen low miles HSEs go for under $50k.
I also see these batteries as temporary until solid state becomes a reality

·
Registered
551 Posts
Here are a couple pics from when they replaced my main battery. Surprisingly quick procedure and only takes a couple hours. I was fortunate that they let me go back and take a look under the car to see how it all goes together. Can you believe that battery goes for $60,000? Crazy.
Is that the new or old battery?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The one hanging from the straps is the old battery and the one positioned under the car is the new battery.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The one hanging from the straps is the old battery and the one positioned under the car is the new battery.
If you go to Topix and look at the shop manual, there are instructions for replacing the battery modules, so it isn’t necessary to replace the whole unit. My guess is that JLR is being cautious and wants to have full units to evaluate the failures for product quality and for assembly quality. It’s better to have the full unit for ther first Model year failure analysis.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts