Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I understand, Jaguar recommends to precondition the battery while charging?

How is this enabled at the time of charging?

Wouldn’t it be easier to have a “Precondition Now” &.”Stop now” icon?

Sorry, I don’t get the departure times concept.
For me, Time is variable meaning each day might be different

Having to adjust the schedule settings seems unnecessary and time consuming

That’s my opinion !

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Generally speaking the battery has a very large thermal mass. Charging and discharging warm the battery, and preconditioning is meant to get the battery to an “optimal” temperature before temperature (not too cold in cold weather and not too hot in heat). But due to the large thermal mass this process can take hours. So preconditioning a battery is not something you turn on without planning as it may require a bit of power. So setting a departure time allows the system to plan and have the battery at optimal temperature and usually must be set at least 3 hours beforehand to give the system time to raise or lower the battery.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
403 Posts
You can precondition the battery if you simply use the remote feature in Jaguar App. You can start manually the preconditionning from there, but don't expect miracle. With a 30 min precondition, you can raise the battery temp by 6 degC ( I need to do more test, but this is the data I have). The ambiant temp is around - 10c these day here, so if you want to reach +20, that will require 5x30 min to properly pre warm the battery. I have read that you can't program them because the car will require an ignition on and off between periods in the schedule . If you miss one, the car will not trigger the next one (to avoid to drain the battery for nothing if the car is park in a parking lot at the airport for example). The car will consider that you are not around and won't prewarm the battery. So programming the pre condition at 4:30, 5:00, 5:30, 6:00, 6:30 to have a nice and warm battery at 7:00 is not an option. You have to wake up at 4:30, 5:00, 5:30, 6:00, 6:30 and use the manual trigger on the Jaguar app... :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
To get the battery at optimal temperature you have to be able to monitor the battery temp.
How do you do this? It would be nice to know.
So is the Jaguar remote climate start = battery precondition=WattCat battery precon?

·
Registered
403 Posts
To get the battery at optimal temperature you have to be able to monitor the battery temp.
So is the Jaguar remote climate start = battery precondition=WattCat battery precon?
I am in the middle of a huge project to retro engineer the information on the CANBus. The battery info is located in the BECM module.
Yes, you can start the battery precondition with the Jaguar remote climate start

·
Registered
268 Posts
I currently have my I-Pace at a dealer looking into reduced mileage. (Battery or software problem)
Since I have no battery temperature data, it's hard to tell how much the mileage is affected by low battery temp.
A battery temp. vs. mileage chart could be of some use.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
climate is NOT the same as battery preconditioning. i believe that only will be triggered by departure scheduling. Also the car must be plugged in for battery-preconditioning, otherwise you will only have climate for interior.

do not know about WattCat. I-Pace does not have any battery temperature displays. Only BEV I know that shows this is the Taycan.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,245 Posts
For those of you who missed the numerous previous posts about preconditioning, one of the most useful pieces of information comes from Jaguar found at

·
Premium Member
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
183 Posts
That’s good information.

We use preconditioning fairly often now that the iPhone app is fully functional. Our garage is insulated, but not heated. It generally stays above freezing, even on the coldest nights. I have noticed a drop in estimated range on the GOM in colder weather, but it’s not as significant as I expected.

·
Super Moderator
2,617 Posts
WattCat shows that battery conditioning runs when cabin preconditioning runs AND the car is plugged in (which is consistent with JLR literature)
Haven't tried camper mode for it, but I don't see why it should be different.

·
Registered
103 Posts
For those of you who missed the numerous previous posts about preconditioning, one of the most useful pieces of information comes from Jaguar found at
Thanks.

So, if plugged in and departure time is set, then both battery and cabin preconditioning (cool or heat) will happen (using external power supply) when possible (enough time). Is that basically right? There are some questions:

1) Does it work for all Plugged ins? Level1, level 2,and high power?
2) What temperature is TS1? TS2? TS3? Which one is the optimal one?
3) What kind of difference will battery preconditioning make? Help with the battery longevity? Longer range? How much will be, say, at 32F ambient temperature?
4) Using WattCat or Jaguar Remote, one can start climate control for 30 minutes at a time. When the cat is plugged in, will this also try to do some battery preconditioning during that 30 minutes. All preconditions will only use external power supply in this case, right?

Last, is there an ambient temperature-range chart for I-pace?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
689 Posts
Thanks.

So, if plugged in and departure time is set, then both battery and cabin preconditioning (cool or heat) will happen (using external power supply) when possible (enough time). Is that basically right? There are some questions:

1) Does it work for all Plugged ins? Level1, level 2,and high power?
2) What temperature is TS1? TS2? TS3? Which one is the optimal one?
3) What kind of difference will battery preconditioning make? Help with the battery longevity? Longer range? How much will be, say, at 32F ambient temperature?
4) Using WattCat or Jaguar Remote, one can start climate control for 30 minutes at a time. When the cat is plugged in, will this also try to do some battery preconditioning during that 30 minutes. All preconditions will only use external power supply in this case, right?

Last, is there an ambient temperature-range chart for I-pace?

Thanks again.
Not sure if this graphic will address your question of range vs temp but this is from my own data over the last 18 months

This is real world data, using miles driven between charges the remaining battery % charge, and the date of a charge. It is also a mix of longer and shorter trips (commutes to work, to soccer games/practices but also 4 mile runs to the grocery store). What you asked for "ambient temperature-range" is not very useful since the car will spend energy bringing the battery to optimal temperature EVERYTIME you go for a drive. Thus a short journey in cold weather will use more energy per mile than a longer journey at the same temperature.

·
Registered
26 Posts
How do I start pre-conditioning with the remote app? I have both Jaguar Remote Apps for the I-phone and all I can figure out how to do is to turn on the climate system. Does that pre-condition the battery?

Thanks
Bruce

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've only preconditioned if going on a long journey to maximize range. It doesn't really make a lot of sense to warm the battery if just going on a short trip or regular commute. Doesn't save energy overall. Useful to heat the interior for comfort in the winter though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am one of the lucky ones who does not have to heat the interior in winter. (Live in FLA!) But thanks for the info.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts