Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 102 Posts
Below is my Wattcatt data for the past few days.

Nov 11th:
81% charge - 55.55 kW
100% charge would be 69.44 kW
Nov 11th
75% charge - 51.45 kW
100% charge would be 68.01 kW
Nov 12th
68% charge - 46.25 kW
100% charge would be 68.6 kW
Nov 14th
93% charge - 63.85 kW
100% charge would be 68.65 kW
Nov 14th
96% charge - 66.1 kW
100% charge would be 68.85 kW

So I have contacted my dealer to get my battery checked.
I live in Princeton, NJ and have had this car for exactly a year.

I have some serious concerns about the health of my battery.

The vehicle suffered from coolant leakage for the first 5 or 6 months. I didn't use the AC because it was cold. When I realized the AC wasn't working, I gave my vehicle for repair and Jaguar took 3 weeks for repair.

I am concerned that the battery pack may have some suffered damage during this time because of impaired thermal management.

If the data that Wattcat is showing is anywhere close to being correct, the degree of degradation my battery pack has suffered, is unacceptable.

Model Year: 2020
Mileage: 1703
12V Battery Issue: N
Main Battery Issue: There could be a battery issue/
Can’t get more than 201 miles charge. Tried to reset the GOM that added 10-15 miles and one time took it up to 272 that reverted to 208 the next morning after short ride and closing down night before. Given latest software update 2 weeks ago without change. Had 2 separate “Coolant low” warnings on start up 5 days ago that has not recurred. Took car into service yesterday.

Below is my Wattcatt data for the past few days.

Nov 11th:
81% charge - 55.55 kW
100% charge would be 69.44 kW
Nov 11th
75% charge - 51.45 kW
100% charge would be 68.01 kW
Nov 12th
68% charge - 46.25 kW
100% charge would be 68.6 kW
Nov 14th
93% charge - 63.85 kW
100% charge would be 68.65 kW
Nov 14th
96% charge - 66.1 kW
100% charge would be 68.85 kW

So I have contacted my dealer to get my battery checked.
I live in Princeton, NJ and have had this car for exactly a year.

I have some serious concerns about the health of my battery.

The vehicle suffered from coolant leakage for the first 5 or 6 months. I didn't use the AC because it was cold. When I realized the AC wasn't working, I gave my vehicle for repair and Jaguar took 3 weeks for repair.

I am concerned that the battery pack may have some suffered damage during this time because of impaired thermal management.

If the data that Wattcat is showing is anywhere close to being correct, the degree of degradation my battery pack has suffered, is unacceptable.
It certainly appears that you have a battery problem. Definitely need to return to the dealer to have it addressed.

Model Year: 2020
Mileage: 1703
Main Battery Issue: There could be a battery issue/
Can’t get more than 201 miles charge. Tried to reset the GOM that added 10-15 miles and one time took it up to 272 that reverted to 208 the next morning after short ride and closing down night before. Given latest software update 2 weeks ago without change. Had 2 separate “Coolant low” warnings on start up 5 days ago that has not recurred. Took car into service yesterday.
Quite honestly, because they have somehow screwed up the distance to empty predictor with the software updates, at this point we would all be better off if they simply disabled it. You charge your car to a certain state of charge (SOC) by putting Kw in the battery, like putting gallons of gas in a gas tank. If you have a 14 gallon tank, you can add no more than 14 gallons, but even then the usable capacity is often less (or the tank is bigger that reported). The I-PAce has a battery that can 'hold' 90kWh, but you can only use ~84kWh of that. You do not charge a car to a number of miles regardless of what that silly little gauge tells you. You charge it to a % of battery capacity. This is no different than when you filled up your gas car, you didn't say I filled it x miles, you said I put x gallons of gas in.

You can determine if you have a possible battery issue by keeping track of how much energy was used in your miles driven compared to how much energy you put back in the car. At this time it appears the distance to empty predictor is not reliable enough to serve any real purpose other than to freak people out because for some reason we have convinced BEV drivers that they charge to a set number of miles versus actual battery capacity.

-

Quite honestly, because they have somehow screwed up the distance to empty predictor with the software updates, at this point we would all be better off if they simply disabled it. You charge your car to a certain state of charge (SOC) by putting Kw in the battery, like putting gallons of gas in a gas tank. If you have a 14 gallon tank, you can add no more than 14 gallons, but even then the usable capacity is often less (or the tank is bigger that reported). The I-PAce has a battery that can 'hold' 90kWh, but you can only use ~84kWh of that. You do not charge a car to a number of miles regardless of what that silly little gauge tells you. You charge it to a % of battery capacity. This is no different than when you filled up your gas car, you didn't say I filled it x miles, you said I put x gallons of gas in.
I've been told that JLR uses the range meter for all service & issues, not KWH or SOC %. Which, per the reasons you describe, is insane. The Jag service reps said my battery is fine because my range meter is working (by working I mean it says 230-280 miles of range when I have 130-140) and that I just didn't understand how the range worked.

I don't know if I just got a bad dealership AND bad Jag reps but that's what I was told. Will update when they finally look at it in December.

I've been told that JLR uses the range meter for all service & issues, not KWH or SOC %. Which, per the reasons you describe, is insane. The Jag service reps said my battery is fine because my range meter is working (by working I mean it says 230-280 miles of range when I have 130-140) and that I just didn't understand how the range worked.
That makes zero sense at all. Because a vehicle's range is dependent on a gazillion variables, from outside temp/wind/road conditions/driving style/tires/etc, the 'range meter' could not possibly provide any meaningful diagnostic data. I absolutely would not believe the dealer that told me that. If they did, I would want them to explain exactly how it could provide any useful diagnostic information.

My dealer told me some nonsense as well, which I didn't believe and I was proven right. There are many people on this forum that their dealers continue to tell them nonsense, such as there are no current updates, while they are on 18D or 19A infotainment version and 14.2 telematics.

It is really unfortunate, but it seems there are a lot of dealers that still don't seem to 'get it'.

That makes zero sense at all. Because a vehicle's range is dependent on a gazillion variables, from outside temp/wind/road conditions/driving style/tires/etc, the 'range meter' could not possibly provide any meaningful diagnostic data. I absolutely would not believe the dealer that told me that. If they did, I would want them to explain exactly how it could provide any useful diagnostic information.

My dealer told me some nonsense as well, which I didn't believe and I was proven right. There are many people on this forum that their dealers continue to tell them nonsense, such as there are no current updates, while they are on 18D or 19A infotainment version and 14.2 telematics.

It is really unfortunate, but it seems their are a lot of dealers that still don't seem to 'get it'.
Absolutely. But I tend to believe it's not only the dealers but the JLR field reps, it's easier to say there isn't a problem with the battery by using the goofy range meter.

Something kind of funny I realized is that the navigation seems to use the SOC % versus your trip KWH/100 miles to determine range and it's much more accurate than the range meter. When I ran my car down to emergency low power mode, we had 40 miles to the charger; the navigation said we'd arrive at the charger with 8% battery left but the range meter had a range of 130 miles. The navigation was very close but, obviously, the range meter was way off.

For me the confusion & lack of transparency between dealerships, JLR, and customer make me want to opt out of beta testing their car. It's one thing for things to go wrong but the way they pretend nothing is wrong until you categorically force them to admit the evidence is unacceptable to me.

Absolutely. But I tend to believe it's not only the dealers but the JLR field reps, it's easier to say there isn't a problem with the battery by using the goofy range meter.

Something kind of funny I realized is that the navigation seems to use the SOC % versus your trip KWH/100 miles to determine range and it's much more accurate than the range meter. When I ran my car down to emergency low power mode, we had 40 miles to the charger; the navigation said we'd arrive at the charger with 8% battery left but the range meter had a range of 130 miles. The navigation was very close but, obviously, the range meter was way off.

For me the confusion & lack of transparency between dealerships, JLR, and customer make me want to opt out of beta testing their car. It's one thing for things to go wrong but the way they pretend nothing is wrong until you categorically force them to admit the evidence is unacceptable to me.
I quickly realized the range meter was questionably useful, therefore I didn't rely on it to reach decisions on how far to drive, etc. I did find that by using my current trip average & the SOC, I could very accurately predict what my range would be using 84kWh for the battery capacity. I would guess that is what the nav is using too.

Model Year: 2019
Mileage: 13,952 miles
Main Battery Issue: N (possibly)

WattCat shows an average battery health of 95% (fluctuates between 86-96% depending upon SoC, used to always hover around 99% a month ago) and the battery capacity has dropped to 79-80 kWh at 100% SoC from 82-84 kWh a month ago. Not sure if that is an "issue" or just normal battery aging that's to be expected as this is my first EV.

Mileage: 3000
Main Battery Issue: Yes, at 2441 miles. Car became a brick in our garage. Had to be towed using two trucks to get it on the flatbed.
Long story short, one cell replaced. Car now seems to be working properly other than weird results with guess o meter. Doesn't charge to 100%.

thank you jpklmartin and spicyj, you're representing the many people who mostly lurk on the board. keep posting! and lurkers, please chime in! in the context of this thread it's particularly important that not only the people with issues contribute, so that we get a better cross-section of all who own i-paces

Mileage: 3000
Main Battery Issue: Yes, at 2441 miles. Car became a brick in our garage. Had to be towed using two trucks to get it on the flatbed.
Long story short, one cell replaced. Car now seems to be working properly other than weird results with guess o meter. Doesn't charge to 100%.

What do you mean when you say it doesn't charge to 100%? Does the car actually stop charging at 91%, with the message 'charge complete'? If so, please take a look at this post from #timbo - https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/47529-post13.html you may be having the same issue.

I would be nice to know the build date or ViNs.
Mine is 03/19 and most of us with main battery issues have noted our build dates. There doesn't seem to be a correlation, it's a broad range of dates with some pretty recent cars and some from last year.

I'd wager it's more of a quality control issue. I don't think JLR is sufficiently checking the batteries they get in and I know that the dealers are neither sufficiently checking nor safely storing the cars. I do wonder how much of this issue could be contributed to dealers storing cars with drained batteries for extended periods without charging or even running.

I would be nice to know the build date or ViNs.
Mine is 03/19 and most of us with main battery issues have noted our build dates. There doesn't seem to be a correlation, it's a broad range of dates with some pretty recent cars and some from last year.

I'd wager it's more of a quality control issue. I don't think JLR is sufficiently checking the batteries they get in and I know that the dealers are neither sufficiently checking nor safely storing the cars. I do wonder how much of this issue could be contributed to dealers storing cars with drained batteries for extended periods without charging or even running.
I see many MY dates but not the actual build date.
You make a good point about the cars sitting for extended periods at the dealers.
Looking for one myself, I avoid car with early build dates or ones that have been sitting for many months
I've seen some delivered to the dealer in Nov 18 and still haven't sold. I'm not touching that

61 - 80 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.