Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to share with everyone about how I managed to avoid a major accident solely because I chose to drive the I Pace today. It rained lightly this morning and going around a corner (usually safe at 40-45) on a two lane highway I heard screeching and the car from the other side was sliding sideways into the middle of the road and right at me (I was doing 45, she was probably sliding at 35 mph). I slammed on the break and realized I could not go around her in either side.

But because I was on the I Pace I decided to go up onto the small embankment at the side of the road (roughly 45 degree angle). I wanted to minimize damage and impact. To my absolute surprise the I Pace went up on the embankment at an angle with one tire on the road at around 30-35, did not care one bit about the title or the surface, and I climbed and missed her and came down the other side as if I was driving on the road. I pulled over and went back to help the three car collision where at least one of the cars (probably two) were totaled.

Fortunately no one was hurt, everyone was out and ok. But I realized that the off road suspension on the I Pace is not a marketing gimmick, it is not a joke. It is seriously capable. I know some of you know this, I just thought it was a nice "feature" until today.

If I have taken any other car I would have been in the accident. I probably would have been ok. But with the I Pace I didn't even get an adrenaline rush, I just managed to make a decision and go off road and back, all in under a couple of seconds. And there is not a scratch or a blade of grass on that car.

Kudos to the entire engineering team and this car is deeply surprising even after one year. And I now feel safer in this car than any car I have ever owned.

IMG_8293.jpg

·
Super Moderator
1,556 Posts
Wow, your account gets my adrenaline going! So glad everyone was ok ... and thanks for sharing this very reassuring story.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. One of the reasons I got rid of the i3 was that the two times I have to an emergency maneuver it was so hyperactive I almost lost control because it over compensated, the smallest movement of the wheel made the car change lanes. And to me survivability is the number of criteria of any car I am going to drive on the roads. The I Pace was the polar opposite, it was like I just did an impossible leap over a building without even trying, and it reacted like it was reading my mind.

One funny tidbit, as I was trying to figure out how to avoid her I was thinking "which bodyshop do I know that can match the blue color well enough?"

:grin2:

·
Registered
536 Posts
Great last second thinking. What wheels do you have on your car?

Its nice to be part of the Land Rover family to share the off raod R&D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Good thinking and glad you came out just fine. Thanks for sharing the info and hope no one ever has to be in a similar situation.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thank you for testing this feature. Very glad to read about your outcome in this scene and sorry for the others involved.

If it had been me, around here, I would have
- been cited for driving on a marked berm (they painted that white line for a reason!)
- given a firm lecture, if not another citation, for leaving the scene of the accident (see how far away you are in the photographic evidence?)
but I would have done the same thing anyway.

The I-pace does feel as sturdy and 4x4 capable (up to allowed ground clearance) as my Range Rover.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey good one. Actually the sheriff was mainly interested in safety as people would come around and almost hit the car. I did give him my info and then he didn’t need me around. That is on my way out...

That’s my story and I am sticking to it! :grin2:

I am really surprised, I expected at least to do an alignment if not some kind of repair on the suspension, I mean I went over at 30+ miles per hour suddenly. That’s a lot of force compared to a careful off road movement. The suspension and alignment are perfect.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I wanted to share with everyone about how I managed to avoid a major accident solely because I chose to drive the I Pace today. It rained lightly this morning and going around a corner (usually safe at 40-45) on a two lane highway I heard screeching and the car from the other side was sliding sideways into the middle of the road and right at me (I was doing 45, she was probably sliding at 35 mph). I slammed on the break and realized I could not go around her in either side.

But because I was on the I Pace I decided to go up onto the small embankment at the side of the road (roughly 45 degree angle). I wanted to minimize damage and impact. To my absolute surprise the I Pace went up on the embankment at an angle with one tire on the road at around 30-35, did not care one bit about the title or the surface, and I climbed and missed her and came down the other side as if I was driving on the road. I pulled over and went back to help the three car collision where at least one of the cars (probably two) were totaled.

Fortunately no one was hurt, everyone was out and ok. But I realized that the off road suspension on the I Pace is not a marketing gimmick, it is not a joke. It is seriously capable. I know some of you know this, I just thought it was a nice "feature" until today.

If I have taken any other car I would have been in the accident. I probably would have been ok. But with the I Pace I didn't even get an adrenaline rush, I just managed to make a decision and go off road and back, all in under a couple of seconds. And there is not a scratch or a blade of grass on that car.

Kudos to the entire engineering team and this car is deeply surprising even after one year. And I now feel safer in this car than any car I have ever owned.

View attachment 3395
Glad everyone (and the Jag) were OK. Speaks not only to the car, but also the driver. Times like this you appreciate the engineering and stability of a well designed car. BTW was that a maroon Tesla in the picture involved in the accident.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Congratulations on the quick thinking and execution of that escape! Car *and* driver are both important! Really nice to know we can do this kind of thing.
Reminds me of what Lance Armstrong did a while back in the Tour de France. Yes, he was doping, but he sure knew how to handle a bike!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think it’s a credit to the frames rigidity and the stability of the dynamic suspension. I was sure there would be damage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts