Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! First off - I am new here, and I can't tell you in words how much I appreciate all of the great feedback and information you all put out!

I have a situation which I initially fixed thanks to you all.

First: I received the 2 warnings: Traction Battery Fault Detected + Brake Pedal Feel Reduced. It then quickly moved to the point where I could not shift out of Park.
Note: I read your comments and came to the conclusion that it was likely an issue with the Auxiliary battery.

Second: I purchased a new Aux battery (the larger aux battery that is in the top left side of under the front hood if looking in from in front of your car) from Jag which immediately solved the problem.

Third: Around 3 hours later, I went to dinner, and when I walked out to the parking lot to leave, I received a gear box error, and the Parking light was flashing + I could not get the car to fully start (all the internal lights and lighters worked) + shift/drive

Fourth: I hooked the new Auxiliary battery up a jumperbox, and again for it to start and work.

Fifth: When I got home, I hooked the new battery up to a charger, and it did need a charge for about 3 hours.

This morning I was able to start the car normal without any issues but the battery was on the charger all night.

My concern: It seems like my car might not be re-charging the Aux battery properly, which is why it initially works when charged but then after hours it start throwing dummy lights.

So far since the charge everything has worked (again it was a brand new battery though) - but it has only been 5 hours. I am guessing it will start erroring out again soon once it depletes.

If there are any pro or anyone with experience dealing with the Aux that could chime in - I would truly appreciate it as my local Jag dealership has zero idea what they are doing with the I-pace (they very rarely see them or sell them as they are very hard to find in the US).

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
2,093 Posts
You replaced the starter battery. You need the smaller auxiliary battery replaced and the car checked for needed software updates and to ensure that the power supply distribution box, DC/DC converter, and other components involved have not failed.

·
Registered
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah thank you!! Great call glad I asked! I charged it WITH the cables attached actually.

Does anyone happen to know how to remove the little battery? I can't find anything on how it is removed (I just want to make sure I don't screw something up but I would guess it is just a normal battery removal. Thank you again @Ayepace!!

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Take the trim panels loose to expose the work area.
Disconnect the ground cable.
Carefully remove the red positive post protective cap. Use a pick tool at several retaining points and try not to break the cap.
Disconnect the cable attached to the 100A fuse and insulate the end of it.
Disconnect the cable attached to the 200A fuse and insulate the end of it.
Remove the positive post connection and fuse holder with fuses.
Gently pull out the breather tube from the battery top.
Unbolt the hold down and remove it.
Remove the battery.

The only source of these in the US is a Jaguar Land Rover dealer. You will not find them at your neighborhood auto part store.
It is covered by warranty (just like the other battery) if the car is still under 60K miles.

Reference photo (with ground cable and protective cap removed):
Motor vehicle Auto part Gas Automotive exterior Machine

My question about the charging cables was a question of where did you attach your charger's cables? Did you connect the the ground cable to a ground point away from the battery or directly to the battery?

·
Registered
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much @Ayepace !!! Truly appreciate it!
And @[email protected] - am totally aligned with you. The problem is here in Seattle there is a 3 month wait to get a car in to get it serviced. The only way they will take it is if a towtruck drops it off and they said they won't get to in for 3 weeks just to diagnose. So even though it is under warranty, the cost of a rental car (they don't have loaner cars) and all the time and hassle, I would rather try changing the battery myself.

@Ayepace I actually hooked the charger up to the larger batter and directly up to the batter. HOWEVER, I have been driving the car all day today and it is working without a issue. But this has spooked me as the car has 23,000 miles and the little aux batter is the original and has some corrosion, so I wanted to still be safe so I purchased the little battery right now at the dealer (was about $300 usd).

I just hooked the current little battery up to a voltmeter and it is reading 13.2 which seems correct but maybe its pulling power elsewhere. It is still plugged in.

Again truly appreciate all your time and assistance here!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I assume you are taking that voltmeter reading with the car off and you were not charging the traction battery. I live down South, so I am not real familiar with the salting on the roads where you live and how that may be a cause of corrosion. I had zero corrosion on my batteries that were 3 years old and failed. Corrosion can be a sign of a battery that is cycling, a lot.

·
Registered
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone for the feedback!

A special thanks to @Ayepace for all of the amazing information. I used your guide and switch out the little aux battery which solved ALL of my problems so thank you! The new battery is holding a charge/recharging, and all of the warning/dummy lights are gone. So that worked like a charm.

@Trielectric that is a good point for sure. I was indeed talking about the Aux battery with the car turned off like you had mentioned, not the main DC battery. However when I tested the volts it was after I used a drip recharger on it to see if it would hold a charge as the dummy lights showed that the aux battery was not producing enough power.

I think the smaller Aux battery had some kind of issue at some point and overheated as I could see that at some point acid had been pushed through that little bleed tube that hooks up to it. So maybe it was just a bad battery or it was damaged. I have stop/started the car now about 30 times, and have drove it around the the last 1.5 hours, then left it in a parking lot for an hour while in a store, and when I came back out, it started right up.

So I think the issue is solved. Really appreciate all the help

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
You're welcome. I recommend booking the cat into the vet for an examination. It could be missing software updates that deal with the charging of these batteries.

There should not be fluid in that breather tube. Clearly the battery is bad and could be getting overcharged. Take the bad battery with you and maybe they can write up replacement of it as a warranty repair and reimburse you for what you paid. At least now you can drive the car between now and the appointment several weeks into the future.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thank you so much @Ayepace !!! Truly appreciate it!
And @[email protected] - am totally aligned with you. The problem is here in Seattle there is a 3 month wait to get a car in to get it serviced. The only way they will take it is if a towtruck drops it off and they said they won't get to in for 3 weeks just to diagnose. So even though it is under warranty, the cost of a rental car (they don't have loaner cars) and all the time and hassle, I would rather try changing the battery myself.

@Ayepace I actually hooked the charger up to the larger batter and directly up to the batter. HOWEVER, I have been driving the car all day today and it is working without a issue. But this has spooked me as the car has 23,000 miles and the little aux batter is the original and has some corrosion, so I wanted to still be safe so I purchased the little battery right now at the dealer (was about $300 usd).

I just hooked the current little battery up to a voltmeter and it is reading 13.2 which seems correct but maybe its pulling power elsewhere. It is still plugged in.

Again truly appreciate all your time and assistance here!
I guess I must be lucky as I had the same waring and my local dealer replaced both batteries in 24 hours (got a loaner, too)

·
Registered
2020 I-Pace S
74 Posts
I guess I must be lucky as I had the same waring and my local dealer replaced both batteries in 24 hours (got a loaner, too)
You were lucky. I had the issue and my dealer was ..Meh. Called Jag USA and spoke with a lovely woman about no loaner, weeks of waiting for the battery to be looked at, etc. and amazingly my dealer then got to my car in 2 days! So, 24 hours and a loaner - wow!

·
Registered
2020 iPace SE
141 Posts
Hi everyone, I’m the latest to succumb to this. Currently waiting to have it flatbed towed to the dealership.
Ironically just 2 weeks ago had an extended conversation with JLR maintenance department about my wife’s RRS SVR battery problem. 1 year new battery died (after prolonged talks) they found a short/fault which somehow wasn’t there during maintenance.
Anyway appreciate you all and your expertise.

·
Registered
2020 iPace SE
141 Posts
Again I will restart the message by thanking everyone in this forum and their expertise.

Tow truck never showed after 6 hrs. After making dinner, playing with the kids, and putting them to bed, I return to the vehicle and jumped the auxiliary battery. All messages
reset, driving it home to put it on a battery charger overnight.

Took the plastic panel in frunk out
Identified auxiliary battery which on the drivers side with red cover
Removed red cover and attached jumper cables appropriately to battery terminals.
Now home and charging
Automotive tire Sports equipment Bag Font Luggage and bags

Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Rather than try to get a clamp on the negative post as you show, you could clamp to the crossbar at the top of your second picture, or follow the lead from the negative post to where it bolts to the body (just off to the right of your second picture). Small clamps such as your were able to do the job, but larger clamps may not fit down there.

You probably do need to get the battery replaced even if it charges this time.

Thank you for contributing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts