Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has there been any info on whether AutoSteer will be improved with an over-the-air update?

I test drove an I-Pace for the first time yesterday. The AutoSteer disengaged with no alert or warning and the car left the lane. I am used to Tesla Autopilot and if it disengages it sounds alerts and displays warnings that you need to take over. But with the I-Pace autosteer it seems you can never be sure if you or it is steering unless you constantly look at the indicator, so it seems very unreliable and not really usable. Just informing the user that it disengaged would be a huge improvement. Or is there something I'm missing about how to use it?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Autosteer is AWESOME - there is an alert in the 2020 and there are icons in the right corner to signify that it is engaged properly

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Autosteer is AWESOME - there is an alert in the 2020 and there are icons in the right corner to signify that it is engaged properly
Ok good. I tested a 2019 so the alert in the 2020 is a big improvement.

To be clear, it WAS properly engaged and it WAS steering, until the point that with no warning it wasn't, and the indicator which had been on went off but I don't stare at the instrument panel when driving so a more obvious notification will help.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Even the early edition works well for it's intended purpose, that is, as a redundant safety device, not a Pokemon Go assistant.
If you are expecting a self-driving car, it doesn't do that. It's Lane Keep Assist on steroids, not Super Cruise (fully hands free).

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Ok good. I tested a 2019 so the alert in the 2020 is a big improvement.

To be clear, it WAS properly engaged and it WAS steering, until the point that with no warning it wasn't, and the indicator which had been on went off but I don't stare at the instrument panel when driving so a more obvious notification will help.
The steering assist will also appear on the HUD if you program it that way. So you can look forward and tell if it's engaged.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The steering assist will also appear on the HUD if you program it that way. So you can look forward and tell if it's engaged.
This one didn't have a HUD but when I get mine it will and I will put that in the HUD for sure.

Even the early edition works well for it's intended purpose, that is, as a redundant safety device, not a Pokemon Go assistant.
If you are expecting a self-driving car, it doesn't do that. It's Lane Keep Assist on steroids, not Super Cruise (fully hands free).
Right, that is why I asked if there is something I'm missing about using it correctly. I don't expect it to be self-driving nor would I take my hands off the wheel, but if I think it's doing the steering then shouldn't I be able to stop actively steering myself, and if I must actively steer with it on as I would when it's off then what exactly is its purpose?

·
Registered
146 Posts
My Autosteer seems to work very well on the interstates. A recent trip to Virginia Beach and back and I would say I used autosteer about 70% of the time. Its annoying that you have to shake the well every so often to keep it alarming, but other than that, it rarely dropped out.

Having test driven a Tesla before buying the Jag, I found the Tesla better on tighter roads, where the Jag will not stay connected as you described. But out on the interstates, no problems at all.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
My Autosteer seems to work very well on the interstates. A recent trip to Virginia Beach and back and I would say I used autosteer about 70% of the time. Its annoying that you have to shake the well every so often to keep it alarming, but other than that, it rarely dropped out.

Having test driven a Tesla before buying the Jag, I found the Tesla better on tighter roads, where the Jag will not stay connected as you described. But out on the interstates, no problems at all.
That matches my experience

·
Registered
55 Posts
Auto Steer as safety function

Has there been any info on whether AutoSteer will be improved with an over-the-air update?

I test drove an I-Pace for the first time yesterday. The AutoSteer disengaged with no alert or warning and the car left the lane. I am used to Tesla Autopilot and if it disengages it sounds alerts and displays warnings that you need to take over. But with the I-Pace autosteer it seems you can never be sure if you or it is steering unless you constantly look at the indicator, so it seems very unreliable and not really usable. Just informing the user that it disengaged would be a huge improvement. Or is there something I'm missing about how to use it?
I found it took a very short time to realize the benefits of the Lane Assist or whatever we want to call it. You still need to pay attention. I found that driving in very heavy rain, it provided confidence that I was in the lane which was not completely obvious to the eye. I was pleasantly surprised it did not disengage.

·
Registered
527 Posts
In my experience (2019 FE with 6 months of ownership) AS does disengage with no warning. Unsettling and disappointing. Glad to hear an audible alert has been added for 2020, but shouldn't that be a software update easily retrofitted to 2019s?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Autosteer should be called sometimes steer...I complained about this on the JLR advisory site. There is no connection or feedback to the driver. No comparison to Tesla's system. Has anyone been given feedback from the car on the dozing or distract alert app? I haven't .

·
Registered
147 Posts
autosteer is HORRIBLE. Coming from a tesla the autosteer feels like it tries to kill you. When it "thinks" you've left the lane or moved the car violently adjusts itself...often times when there is no correction needed. I have to disable emergency lane keep assist every time I get in the car. I've driven with people and they ask why did you jerk the wheel like that...to which I answer it wasnt me.

On a similar topic the cruise control following the car in front of you is also horrible. If that car changes lanes the car "disappears" and doesnt lock on any new car in front of you. If it doesnt see a car and youre approaching a light that is stopped the cruise control doesnt see the car in order for it to self break and often times doesnt audibly warn you that youre approaching a car too fast

·
Registered
392 Posts
On a similar topic the cruise control following the car in front of you is also horrible. If that car changes lanes the car "disappears" and doesnt lock on any new car in front of you. If it doesnt see a car and youre approaching a light that is stopped the cruise control doesnt see the car in order for it to self break and often times doesnt audibly warn you that youre approaching a car too fast
Even worse is the adaptive cruise control will stay locked on the vehicle that has changed lanes and when the other vehicle slows down the cruise control will suddenly apply the brakes. This happens frequently.

While driving on the highway and rounding a sweeping curve, the cruise control locked on to a large, slower moving truck that was never in my lane and unexpectedly applied the brakes. I was almost rear ended!

I've owned a number of cars with adaptive cruise including an '04 XJR that worked very well. I complained to my JLR service department about this issue and they tried to explain it away as the car is operating as designed but different from my past experiences. I walked away just shaking my head. I also posted a complaint on the advisory board.

·
Registered
952 Posts
It's not called autosteer. It's called steering assist, and if you use it as that, it's great. It assists me as I steer. I put out less effort as I drive, not just physically but mentally, and yet I still have to pay attention. I don't even notice when it cuts in and out, and I don't get panicked as I'm making the turn anyway. Sometimes it takes more effort and usually it takes less. I use it regularly on the freeway. When traffic gets to a middle ground of cut and thrust, as people vie for position, I turn it off. When traffic is slow and steady or stop and go, it's nice to have on.

Is it autopilot? No. Is it supercruise? No. Is it useful and does it reduce effort? Yes.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It's not called autosteer. It's called steering assist, and if you use it as that, it's great. It assists me as I steer. I put out less effort as I drive, not just physically but mentally, and yet I still have to pay attention. I don't even notice when it cuts in and out, and I don't get panicked as I'm making the turn anyway. Sometimes it takes more effort and usually it takes less. I use it regularly on the freeway. When traffic gets to a middle ground of cut and thrust, as people vie for position, I turn it off. When traffic is slow and steady or stop and go, it's nice to have on.

Is it autopilot? No. Is it supercruise? No. Is it useful and does it reduce effort? Yes.
Steering assist is rudimentary at best. its buggy, it doesnt detect lanes well giving an "assist" when there is nothing to assist with. I can categorically say it's definitely not autopilot like a tesla. Its not even autopilot light or a beta version

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Steering assist is rudimentary at best. its buggy, it doesnt detect lanes well giving an "assist" when there is nothing to assist with. I can categorically say it's definitely not autopilot like a tesla. Its not even autopilot light or a beta version
Well, it's been out nearly a year and hasn't killed anyone that we know of. I think that's what it's for.

Cadillac has the hands-down (har) best system to date by a wide margin. Any steering aid that works on city streets is potentially a killing machine. Ones that run into stalled cars on the freeway aren't much better. The pun being it's the only system that runs "hands-down".

Time to retire the Tesla AP as the goal for steering assist.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Is that what you expected? It wasn't what I expected. It's also a better system than what, for example, a Prius has. That just pushes you when you cross a line. This system makes steering and traffic easier. Wrong expectations?

·
Registered
5 Posts
While my wife was gripping the seat every time she heard the warning chimes... AutoSteer is terrific! Especially when you are navigating through a menu on a touch screen.

My test has the chime warning every 30sec... would be nice to be able to set that for longer!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts