Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

Registered
I was just involved in an accident and I blame the iPace. I always leave a lot of stopping distance in front of me. This morning I'm on the 405 south freeway going to work at about 45 mph and a car in front of me slows down and I'm slowing down but the iPace suddenly pulls the brake pedal away from my foot and SLAMS the brakes bringing the car to a FULL STOP (while everyone else is still going 45mph) and a car behind me slams into me. Is there a way to adjust or disable the AEB??? It's truly worthless in stop and go traffic. This could have been avoided if I had control of the brakes. A similar thing happened at a stop light months ago. I had plenty of stopping distance but the ipace decided it need to step on them hard and come to a complete stop. Luckily no one was behind me or i'm sure they would have rear ended me. Also the driver emergency steering assist can be very dangerous. Sometimes the car thinks there is an obstacle (when there isn't one) while i'm going 65 and it will abruptly turn the wheel. Not cool!
I was just involved in an accident last week and I believe the AEB contributed significantly to the damage (and possible the accident itself). I was rear-ended and it is hard to say whether the person would have hit me anyway but I do not believe my car needed to come to a complete stop and yet that is what my iPace did causing the car to hit us even harder. I just spoke to the repair place and has reported to the insurance company that the car is totaled (I had only 9,000 miles on the car). Luckily no one was hurt and that is really the important thing but I'm not sure I will get another iPace if I cannot disable this feature (or should I say hazard).

Administrator
Keg, in another post you say that no car was behind you and there was no accident

Registered
When I first bought the IPace in 2019 I realised that the slightest pressure on the brake pedal when approaching a red light or a stopped vehicle in front would cause the car to almost stop so I chose to just take my foot off the accelerator and slow to a stop which works if at about 5 lengths. I have had 2 near rear end collisions because the brake lights do not indicate that I鈥檓 slowing down Ofcourse. I have hardly used the brakes and only to stop completely. This can鈥檛 b right and although my situation is different it still indicates a brake problem that could easily be devastating.
That seems strange. First, if yo are on high regent mode, the brake lights do turn on when you release the gas. I assume there is a threshold where coasting to a stop (like a regular car) does to activate the brake lights, but if the pro in speed is analogous to braking, then the lights will come on. You might be unlucky to have 2 distracted drivers more interested i their Facebook status than driving their car.

Read Only
That seems strange. First, if yo are on high regent mode, the brake lights do turn on when you release the gas. I assume there is a threshold where coasting to a stop (like a regular car) does to activate the brake lights, but if the pro in speed is analogous to braking, then the lights will come on. You might be unlucky to have 2 distracted drivers more interested i their Facebook status than driving their car.
Thanks for the comment but I had my Daughter follow me to check and the brake lights only came on when I touched the brake to stop completely.

Registered
MY21 Portofino Blue HSE, Pano Roof, Clearsight Mirror, Air Suspension & AD, Upgraded Cabin Light
Not sure how it can ever be a bad thing to brake too sharply (although I didn't think the autobrake happened if you are already braking) , but being hit from behind is always the fault of the person driving into your rear (unless of course you are reversing), pure and simple.

Registered
Thanks for the comment but I had my Daughter follow me to check and the brake lights only came on when I touched the brake to stop completely.
If you are in high regen mode, there is something wrong with your car if the brake lights aren鈥檛 coming on upon taking your foot off the brake. Were you in high regen mode when your daughter was following behind? Lifting your foot off the accelerator will cause the brake lights to come on at a certain rate of deceleration. You should have had it checked out upon discovering this wasn鈥檛 happening.

Registered
I was just involved in an accident and I blame the iPace. I always leave a lot of stopping distance in front of me. This morning I'm on the 405 south freeway going to work at about 45 mph and a car in front of me slows down and I'm slowing down but the iPace suddenly pulls the brake pedal away from my foot and SLAMS the brakes bringing the car to a FULL STOP (while everyone else is still going 45mph) and a car behind me slams into me. Is there a way to adjust or disable the AEB??? It's truly worthless in stop and go traffic. This could have been avoided if I had control of the brakes. A similar thing happened at a stop light months ago. I had plenty of stopping distance but the ipace decided it need to step on them hard and come to a complete stop. Luckily no one was behind me or i'm sure they would have rear ended me. Also the driver emergency steering assist can be very dangerous. Sometimes the car thinks there is an obstacle (when there isn't one) while i'm going 65 and it will abruptly turn the wheel. Not cool!
We have had exactly the same experience. One unwanted stop with no one behind and one on motorway causing the car behind to come into us. My wife hit a bollard in a carpark, where was the automatic brake when i needed it馃槑? Did you take it to Jaguar to check it out?

Administrator
Well I just had this happen to me! "This" being the emergency braking kicking in unexpectedly when the car in front of me was still 10 ft away. Speed was maybe 20 mph, we were in a stop-and-go line at a big intersection (Sand Hill and The Alameda, I was going West on Sand Hill). Luckily the guy behind me was far enough away that he didn't rear-end me.

Here's the blow-by-blow:
1. I'm gently accelerating to maybe 20 mph
2. Car in front of me (10 ft) slows down fairly abruptly, but then keeps going at about 10 mph.
3. I lift my foot off the gas pedal reflexively and move my foot over to the brake pedal, but before I reach the brake:
4. Kitty slams on the brakes, maximum, and the bells go off
5. I yank my foot back onto the gas pedal and lightly tap it, also reflexively.
6. Kitty stops braking and we're on our merry slow way like nothing happened.

Registered
Reading the owner's manual, there are 3 types of Emergency braking. #1.The high speed Emergency braking is there all the time and will slam on the brakes, if it sees an unavoidable collision. You have to take your vehicle to the dealer to reset the alarm after it happens. #2.The AEB system is not on all I-Paces and only works at 3 to 50mph (variable dependent on target). It can be turned off in the settings or by turning the wheel or applying the throttle. #3.AEBA prepares the braking system if it determines a collision is imminent giving light braking while exceeding 5 mph, but goes to full braking if the brake pedal is depressed. #3 sounds like the problem culprit for slamming on the brakes.
I get alarms in the dash whenever I do a planned pass on a known road, because of my closing speed to the vehicle ahead before passing, but have never had the car slam on the brakes by itself (except during an Aux battery failure).
Watching for my brake lights at night, in the side mirror, shows my brake lights working on almost all slowing downs. Just like a regular car they are not on during coasting at very slow speeds. The brake lights come on usually just before the regen needle passes the C in "Charging".

Registered
I have thought of covering cameras and such before. It would mean a loss of features but also would allow two things:
1. Avoiding emergency braking errors.
2. Running over pedestrians and bicyclists, because they fucking deserve it!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts