Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just involved in an accident and I blame the iPace. I always leave a lot of stopping distance in front of me. This morning I'm on the 405 south freeway going to work at about 45 mph and a car in front of me slows down and I'm slowing down but the iPace suddenly pulls the brake pedal away from my foot and SLAMS the brakes bringing the car to a FULL STOP (while everyone else is still going 45mph) and a car behind me slams into me. Is there a way to adjust or disable the AEB??? It's truly worthless in stop and go traffic. This could have been avoided if I had control of the brakes. A similar thing happened at a stop light months ago. I had plenty of stopping distance but the ipace decided it need to step on them hard and come to a complete stop. Luckily no one was behind me or i'm sure they would have rear ended me. Also the driver emergency steering assist can be very dangerous. Sometimes the car thinks there is an obstacle (when there isn't one) while i'm going 65 and it will abruptly turn the wheel. Not cool!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I see a dark gray or black I-PACE going south on the 405 on my daily commute. Is this you? And yes, you can switch off AEB. From the manual:

AEB automatically switches on, every time the vehicle’s electrical system is switched on.

If required, AEB can be switched off via the Driver assistance instrument panel menu. See INSTRUMENT PANEL MENU.

·
Registered
141 Posts
have 12k miles on my ipace, have never had an incorrect braking incident like this. How fast were you coming up on the car in front of you and how much room did it leave? Only time my went off it definitely saved me from rear ending somebody.

·
Registered
692 Posts
have 12k miles on my ipace, have never had an incorrect braking incident like this. How fast were you coming up on the car in front of you and how much room did it leave? Only time my went off it definitely saved me from rear ending somebody.
My I-Pace has never initiated the AEB but it happened in a Land Rover Discovery loaner car and it saved me from a terrible accident. I was merging onto the highway and looking over my left shoulder to change lanes and traffic stopped in front of me. I heard the AEB alarm and then felt the brakes engage as the car came to a sudden stop. Close call! Although my Ford has AEB I don't know if it would have been as good as the Discovery.

·
Super Moderator
2,269 Posts
I don't recall anyone else on the forum having had this experience, which strongly suggests it's something specific to your vehicle, perhaps an intermittently bad sensor. This is very bad and I would initiate a conversation with JLR about it, perhaps even file a record with the Feds.

·
Registered
603 Posts
This happened to me once on the 110 Freeway (Harbor Fwy). Car in front was starting to slow as we approach the 105 interchange, while I was barreling at high speed. I saw the car in front was slowing down and the AEB sound went off. I guess I was too slow in reaching for the brake pedal. As soon as I placed my foot on top of the brake pedal, the AEB turned on the and car suddenly stopped. There was still enough distance for me to press the brake and slow down, but I suppose the AI in the car thought I wasn't going for the brake and stopped the car. There was no car behind me so no biggie. The entire scenario of abruptly stopping and me pressing back on the accelarator happened very quickly and I never paid much attention to the incident.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I had it go off once when I was braking late and hard, but it braked harder, unnecessarily so. Worth it!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I was just involved in an accident and I blame the iPace. I always leave a lot of stopping distance in front of me. This morning I'm on the 405 south freeway going to work at about 45 mph and a car in front of me slows down and I'm slowing down but the iPace suddenly pulls the brake pedal away from my foot and SLAMS the brakes bringing the car to a FULL STOP (while everyone else is still going 45mph) and a car behind me slams into me. Is there a way to adjust or disable the AEB??? It's truly worthless in stop and go traffic. This could have been avoided if I had control of the brakes. A similar thing happened at a stop light months ago. I had plenty of stopping distance but the ipace decided it need to step on them hard and come to a complete stop. Luckily no one was behind me or i'm sure they would have rear ended me. Also the driver emergency steering assist can be very dangerous. Sometimes the car thinks there is an obstacle (when there isn't one) while i'm going 65 and it will abruptly turn the wheel. Not cool!
How much room was there in front at the end of the stop? While the I-Pace may have stopped quicker, I'd blame the guy behind you as I am sure the insurance company will. You need to keep a safe distance or keep on your toes. What if you braked to avoid something? You don't get to judge why one might brake in front of you, You are supposed to be ready for it.

·
Super Moderator
2,269 Posts
This happened to me once on the 110 Freeway (Harbor Fwy). Car in front was starting to slow as we approach the 105 interchange, while I was barreling at high speed. I saw the car in front was slowing down and the AEB sound went off. I guess I was too slow in reaching for the brake pedal. As soon as I placed my foot on top of the brake pedal, the AEB turned on the and car suddenly stopped. There was still enough distance for me to press the brake and slow down, but I suppose the AI in the car thought I wasn't going for the brake and stopped the car. There was no car behind me so no biggie. The entire scenario of abruptly stopping and me pressing back on the accelarator happened very quickly and I never paid much attention to the incident.
And what would have happened if you did have someone behind you? This is horrible!

In my experience, in other areas of science and engineering, if something goes horribly wrong but is rare, usually more than one issue is at fault. Here, there may be a (1) software misdesign that (2) when a sensor is whacky results in unexpected behavior. I'm speculating on (1) and (2) specifics, but my point is that one should not be looking for a single cause: It's not just software alone, which would result in a higher frequency of such occurrences; and it's definitely not just a bad sensor, because a single bad sensor should not result in this extreme behavior; the design needs to be robust to hardware issues.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was going about 30-40 as I approached the car in front of me while slowing down. Nothing unusual. I was slowing down but none of this was abrupt. Just normal traffic slow down. Then when I had about 2 car lengths (still light on the brakes) iPace took control and braked hard without any warning but the car in front of me kept moving forward. I don't think I ever had less than a car length between me and car in front of me. I remember thinking "no no nooo nooooooo... i don't want to hit the brakes that hard!!!".. but it did anyway. I had plenty of room to brake! but at that moment I heard the crunch behind me. I'll be turning off AEB (if it's an option in the menus) on the commute to work from now on.

·
Super Moderator
2,269 Posts
I'll be turning off AEB (if it's an option in the menus) on the commute to work from now on.
Yes and you should not have to. If the system is flawed then they at least need to have an option where when you turn it off it stays off between drives. Crazy!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident! To answer your question, YES, it is quite easy to change settings on the emergency braking. Use your steering wheel to navigate to the menu. You’ll see options to see how sensitive it is, making it lower (it engages much later and only to avoid catastrophic accident) or higher (it engages early to keep you safe.) As others have said, I absolutely love it. I’ve only had the car now a month and it’s already saved me from when a car in front of me stopped incredibly suddenly. The beeping and then the application of the brake kept me from hitting them. Worked exactly like it was supposed to.

Sorry again to hear about your accident! Man, what a bummer.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I had the AEB pick up a metallic bag drifting across the freeway and activate the brakes. Almost no traffic.
Applied the throttle and used the bag for traction.

Maybe it was just the cruise control adjusting but the red picture and alarm came on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine has given me many warnings for shadows and various plastic bags. Luckily it hasn't slammed brakes on a tree shadow or overpass shadow but now that I know what can happen in heavy traffic every time I get in the car I disable AEB and Emergency Steering. The steering thing really freaks me out. It will turn the wheel sharply out of nowhere if it thinks something (usually another shadow) is too close. Otherwise the car is amazing! It is so responsive. Handling is so tight and linear. Anytime I get behind the wheel of another car it feels like I'm driving an old bucket of bolts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm glad there is a menu for turning off the emergency A.I. I wonder if tapping the accelerator while AEB is on would disengage it? Might have to run some tests with a cardboard box or paper wall.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2019 I-Pace HSE - Borasco Grey
205 Posts
I'm glad there is a menu for turning off the emergency A.I. I wonder if tapping the accelerator while AEB is on would disengage it? Might have to run some tests with a cardboard box or paper wall.
I believe the AEB in our cars is using a neural network trained to recognize only a few things. I'm doubt it will recognize and stop for things other than the "approved targets" mentioned in this quote from the manual:

"The AEB system uses forward-facing cameras to detect real vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists, plus other certified target objects. AEB is not designed to detect any other objects, including non-industry approved targets."

·
Registered
268 Posts
I was going about 30-40 as I approached the car in front of me while slowing down. Nothing unusual. I was slowing down but none of this was abrupt. Just normal traffic slow down. Then when I had about 2 car lengths (still light on the brakes) iPace took control and braked hard without any warning but the car in front of me kept moving forward. I don't think I ever had less than a car length between me and car in front of me. I remember thinking "no no nooo nooooooo... i don't want to hit the brakes that hard!!!".. but it did anyway. I had plenty of room to brake! but at that moment I heard the crunch behind me. I'll be turning off AEB (if it's an option in the menus) on the commute to work from now on.
Maybe consider using the adaptable cruise control first? It handles the traffic slowdowns of stop and go very well in my experience.

I've gotten the audible alerts about closing too fast a few times, but it never activated the AEB system since the distance never closed enough.

·
Premium Member
2019 I-Pace HSE - Borasco Grey
205 Posts
Just like you originally reported, I had a similar braking incident that fortunately didn't result in getting rear-ended; perhaps because I had read this thread and was mentally prepared for it. So thanks!

Here's a link to the front and rear dash cam video footage I've put on YouTube, followed by a description below:

About 9 seconds into the video, I'm slow in responding to the silver car and others in front of it braking rapidly. At 10 seconds, the collision avoidance alert sounds and right about the same moment I'm on the brakes. Just a second or two later when I see all is going to be fine, I remove my foot from the brake but the collision avoidance system keeps the brake pulled away from my foot and to the floor. In my peripheral vision I see a car coming up fast in the mirror and since I have around 25-30 feet of free space in front of me... I really don't want the car to stop! So about a second later I quickly tap the accelerator which releases the automatic braking right at the 12 second point (you can see the hood rise up a little).

I'm pretty certain the collision avoidance system would have fully stopped the car which would have taken the driver behind me by surprise given that I had significant daylight in front of me. Fortunately that driver seems to have responded well and had enough room to stop in any case, but I can certainly see how this could result in an I-Pace getting rear ended.

So be sure to keep mentally ready for this if it happens to you. Just a tap of the accelerator is enough to get it to stop the automatic braking once you are sure you have enough room to do so.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts