1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
499 Posts
Ditto...actually a little bit of "feel good" news for I-Pace owners, although I'm not taking comfort in Audi's shortcoming since more EV cars on the road is better for all of us. Just a bit surprised, frankly! The Mercedes EQC was the one I thought might fall short of 200, not Audi.
Even with the I-Pace 'rated' at 234 by the EPA, I find I can count on just 190-200 'highway' miles (where range really matters). This means practical e-Tron highway range will be around 160-170 mi.
I do think this will help I-Pace sales a bit. Also, both are among the 3 finalists (along with Volvo's S60) for 2019 World Car of the Year, so this news almost certainly gives the edge to the I-Pace.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
233 Posts
I put in an order for the i-Pace and a reservation for the e-Tron within a few days of each other, hoping the specs for the e-Tron would be announced before I would take delivery of the i-Pace. That didn't happen, but I decided to go with the more exciting car (i-Pace, faster, fun to drive, better looks) instead of the more practical one (e-Tron, more cargo capacity, towing capability, faster charging). I'm pretty glad I did that. There are some things I "miss" in the i-Pace that the e-Tron has, and I really wish for JLR to add them in a mid-cycle update. Specifically:
  • 150kw charging
  • Plug & Charge support (maybe the i-Pace has it, but nothing noted)
  • integrated toll module
  • seemless transition between regen and friction braking
  • night vision w/ pedestrian & large animal recognition
  • tow hitch (even if only class 1 to easily mount/dismount a bike rack)
  • wireless carplay
  • infotainment as easy to use as Audi's current MMI (instead of comparable to the MMI in my 2012 A6)
  • Homelink that is disabled when the car is off (so someone can't break a window and open your garage door when you're parked in the driveway)

·
Registered
427 Posts
The Audi is so squared off in the front, I couldn't imagine its drag coefficient is better than Jaguar, which likely consumes a lot of energy above75mph, but I looked around for specs and see that Tesla Model X = 0.25, Audi E-Tron = 0.27, and Jaguar = 0.29. Audi must be doing some engineering magic to get that coefficient. Anyway, with a 94kwh battery, it seems odd they are at 204 miles. Perhaps they are reserving a lot more space at the top and bottom compared to Jaguar.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
233 Posts
The Audi is so squared off in the front, I couldn't imagine its drag coefficient is better than Jaguar, which likely consumes a lot of energy above75mph, but I looked around for specs and see that Tesla Model X = 0.25, Audi E-Tron = 0.27, and Jaguar = 0.29. Audi must be doing some engineering magic to get that coefficient. Anyway, with a 94kwh battery, it seems odd they are at 204 miles. Perhaps they are reserving a lot more space at the top and bottom compared to Jaguar.
The .27 for the e-Tron is when equipped with the cameras instead of the mirrors, which isn't available in the US. In the US it will have .29 because of the side mirrors. In an interview they said they reserved 12% of the battery to help preserve it and allow them to do the fast charging at 150kw over such a large SoC.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The .27 for the e-Tron is when equipped with the cameras instead of the mirrors, which isn't available in the US. In the US it will have .29 because of the side mirrors. In an interview they said they reserved 12% of the battery to help preserve it and allow them to do the fast charging at 150kw over such a large SoC.
Actually it's 0.3Cd for the regularly mirrored e-tron quattros.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I put in an order for the i-Pace and a reservation for the e-Tron within a few days of each other, hoping the specs for the e-Tron would be announced before I would take delivery of the i-Pace. That didn't happen, but I decided to go with the more exciting car (i-Pace, faster, fun to drive, better looks) instead of the more practical one (e-Tron, more cargo capacity, towing capability, faster charging). I'm pretty glad I did that. There are some things I "miss" in the i-Pace that the e-Tron has, and I really wish for JLR to add them in a mid-cycle update. Specifically:
  • 150kw charging
  • Plug & Charge support (maybe the i-Pace has it, but nothing noted)
  • integrated toll module
  • seemless transition between regen and friction braking
  • night vision w/ pedestrian & large animal recognition
  • tow hitch (even if only class 1 to easily mount/dismount a bike rack)
  • wireless carplay
  • infotainment as easy to use as Audi's current MMI (instead of comparable to the MMI in my 2012 A6)
  • Homelink that is disabled when the car is off (so someone can't break a window and open your garage door when you're parked in the driveway)
Very few CCS stations above 50kW are on line. We know higher rates are supported by the I-Pace but have not been released. Effectively, the Audi is going to be 17% (10% SOC safety zone) less range, and probably lower MPGe. So for long trips, the additional stops and lower miles per kWh will keep the 150kW charging peak from being much of an advantage.

If by Plug and Charge you mean automatic billing, I'm not convinced that is significant. Did you have RFID in your gas car? It came out a decade ago.

Toll modules should remain the property of the toll company. I don't want to pay to fix mine when the warranty is up. Or replace it on my dime if the technology changes.

Cadillac has probably the best thermal imaging system, it can see about 300 meters and is super sensitive. Probably since they invented it twenty years ago. But you'll find it only has limited applications. The most significant use is not what you'd think. When somebody is blinding you on a dark road, it does not see the headlights as being very bright so you can drive CAREFULLY until the car passes. While it can see a temp difference of less than a third of a degree F, some things are invisible. Oddly, it can also see through fog which surprised me. It is very dangerous to drive using it as your primary vision.

For unknown reasons, the towbar (PN T4K8031) is not being sold in the USA. Here's how to install WITH USA instructions: JAGUAR Accessory Fitting Instructions Puzzling, eh?

I guess there is a thing as wireless CarPlay. I've never seen it, and I've had 6? cars with CarPlay so far? iPhones play BT music on cars, but CarPlay is a whole different thing that includes apps.

Infotainment is very easy to use with CarPlay equipped cars. Push the TALK button on the wheel and say "Siri play rock music" or any other similar command. Jag's AM/FM/USB also takes voice but you push once quickly then talk instead of holding.

Homelink on the Jaguar does not work with car off. At least mine doesn't. This is not true for most cars and trucks. It could be due to carbon monoxide poisoning risk in ICE vehicles.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
233 Posts
Very few CCS stations above 50kW are on line. We know higher rates are supported by the I-Pace but have not been released. Effectively, the Audi is going to be 17% (10% SOC safety zone) less range, and probably lower MPGe. So for long trips, the additional stops and lower miles per kWh will keep the 150kW charging peak from being much of an advantage.
Even if they only support 150kw from 5-70% SoC that would be a nice enhancement and make long drives much easier to deal with.

If by Plug and Charge you mean automatic billing, I'm not convinced that is significant. Did you have RFID in your gas car? It came out a decade ago.
My gas car did not, but by that same logic why should any of our cars have an electric starter? The original automobiles had a crank and that worked. Also, Plug & Charge isn’t RFID, it’s defined in ISO/IEC 15118-2 as an addition to the CCS spec.

Toll modules should remain the property of the toll company. I don't want to pay to fix mine when the warranty is up. Or replace it on my dime if the technology changes.
Having it part of the car makes it less likely for someone to break a window to steal, which unfortunately has become a thing in the Bay Area.

Cadillac has probably the best thermal imaging system, it can see about 300 meters and is super sensitive. Probably since they invented it twenty years ago. But you'll find it only has limited applications. The most significant use is not what you'd think. When somebody is blinding you on a dark road, it does not see the headlights as being very bright so you can drive CAREFULLY until the car passes. While it can see a temp difference of less than a third of a degree F, some things are invisible. Oddly, it can also see through fog which surprised me. It is very dangerous to drive using it as your primary vision.
Also very useful during a snow storm or white out so you can still see the road and potentially pull off to the side.

For unknown reasons, the towbar (PN T4K8031) is not being sold in the USA. Here's how to install WITH USA instructions: JAGUAR Accessory Fitting Instructions Puzzling, eh?
Annoying, but I should have been more clear. A receiver hitch is really what is wanted, since Thule and others make bike racks that can plug into the receiver (while the ball hitch is only useful for towing very small trailers). The available tow hook mounted bike rack isn’t a good option either since it is a pain to install and remove, and it disables the rear backup and oncoming traffic sensors.

I guess there is a thing as wireless CarPlay. I've never seen it, and I've had 6? cars with CarPlay so far? iPhones play BT music on cars, but CarPlay is a whole different thing that includes apps.
I was definitely looking forward to Wireless CarPlay on the e-Tron. Not having to take the phone out of my pocket and still being able to use its navigation instead of the car’s would be really nice.

Infotainment is very easy to use with CarPlay equipped cars. Push the TALK button on the wheel and say "Siri play rock music" or any other similar command. Jag's AM/FM/USB also takes voice but you push once quickly then talk instead of holding.
If the i-Pace had wireless CarPlay this would be less of an issue, but unfortunately it doesn’t. But even with Wirelss CarPlay a more modern infotainment system with better speech recognition would be really nice to have.

Homelink on the Jaguar does not work with car off. At least mine doesn't. This is not true for most cars and trucks. It could be due to carbon monoxide poisoning risk in ICE vehicles.
I’ll have to recheck this one. I’m pretty sure I was just sitting in the car before “starting” it at one point and opened the garage door. Most cars don’t require the car to be started, but the Audi did (which I considered nice for home security).

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have wireless CarPlay in one of my cars and as nice as it is it can only support a SMALLER amount of screen real estate due to bandwidth limitations. So it only fills 2/3 of the display and showing less info. I also had to jury rig a wireless charging mat to charge phone.

I prefer to plug in and be able to use the entire display. It also charges my phone.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I don't think the range is a problem. 99+% of the time, we drive fewer than those miles in a day, and charging at 50kw charging is fast enough for the vast majority of those edge cases. We're mostly going to charge at home, not hang out with our lattes at supercharger stations. 120 miles is 99%. 200 miles is 99.5%. But if we're going over 200 miles in a day, we're taking another vehicle anyway. The truck can go almost 600 miles before filling. 5.5 to 60 is plenty fast, especially with the instant torque.

I dislike Audi styling and handling, but the criticisms lobbied here are mostly pointless.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Very disappointing real-world range figure of 204mi. (and we all know that's when driving in ECO mode in City only), so not good at all. And, yes, it's a bit slower and don't like that it only allows full power/torque in short "burst" modes. Just stupid in my opinion. What the Audi EVs (and upcoming Porsche EVs) do have over the Jaguar I-Pace is a much better Infotainment system that actually works. But, the technology will only get better from here, so great things are coming in the EV world. :)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Battery shortage forces Audi Brussels to slow down production

Audi has lowered the 2019 production forecast for its Brussels plant. Internal sources say battery deliveries are not going as planned (photo courtesy of Carscoops)

Carmaker Audi has lowered the 2019 production forecast for its Brussels plant where it builds the electric e-tron, by more than 10.000 cars to 45.242 units.

While Audi does not officially comment, internal sources say battery deliveries are not going as planned. According to the same sources, the manufacturer is postponing the next electric car from Audi, the e-tron Sportback production to 2020.

Trouble competing

Audi Brussels only produces electric cars, like the new e-tron. Batteries for the model come from LG, which caters to many automotive manufacturers. Because of its dominant position, LG is pushing up prices. The VW Group, which includes Audi, is in post-dieselgate austerity and has trouble competing with the likes of BMW and Mercedes-Benz to get batteries from LG.

Besides battery delivery shortages, slow delivery of electric engines is to blame for production delays. This is due to the recent strike at the Audi plant in Györ (Hungary), where the engines are produced.

Consequences

The plant is running 6 hours a day instead of 8 to match production to parts availability. But soon, the plant will go to a 4-day working week, leading to one day of technical unemployment.

Delivery times for the e-tron have gone up by 2 months to 6 to 7 months. "Not an exceptional waiting time for an all-new Audi", says Audi's spokesperson in Belgium, Sofie Luyckx. During the Brussels Motor Show in January, delivery times of 4 to 5 months were assumed. It is not clear if the 2 additional months are due to production capacity or high demand (up 15%).

Story from: The Brussels Times/Belga

·
Super Moderator
1,558 Posts
That's not good news, perhaps a harbinger of battery supply constraints in the future, which would be bad for EVs in general. I guess in this case LG is just going with the highest bidders, but such implied monopoly is also not a good thing for anyone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts