Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our cars have AT&T connectivity via the installed SIM card. What functionality does this provide other than a 'hot spot' and are most people continuing with the service after the trial period or discontinuing? If you disconnect AT&T, what are the ramifications other than losing a 'hot spot'.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I still use the AT&T service for live traffic updates on the car's navigation system. Other functionality includes news updates and flight information, neither of which I use. If you use Waze or another nav app, Android Auto, Apple Car Play then it might not be worth the extra monthly charge. I really like the onboard nav and the voice command works well for me but other members have experienced the opposite and use a nav app.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still use the AT&T service for live traffic updates on the car's navigation system. Other functionality includes news updates and flight information, neither of which I use. If you use Waze or another nav app, Android Auto, Apple Car Play then it might not be worth the extra monthly charge. I really like the onboard nav and the voice command works well for me but other members have experienced the opposite and use a nav app.
It's good to hear someone can get this voice recognition working. Does the voice recognition work via the AT&T connection and thus AT&T's connection become essential to the voice navigation's functionality? Or is the connection via something else? The car would need 'something' to reach the server that's responding via the navigation. I'm still unclear on this.

Since you've been able to get it working, let me ask you this, can you say something like "Navigate to the nearest Best Buy". Does that phrasing work or does it have to be said in a different way?

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
832 Posts
Voice navigation is not dependent on AT&T service. It has been reported that US cars need all the voice/language settings to be US English to work.
The car has a built-in tutorial for using voice navigation. It's not a large tutorial but it gives you the basics.

Others have changed the SIM to another service that provides internet access. It is not required to be AT&T. Sprint didn't offer such a service but they've merged with T-mobile and I haven't checked for any availability now, if you happen to have Sprint.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I was concerned about losing the AT&T service after the 3 month trial, mainly because of live Traffic and navigation searches. If I type Wal and all the Walmarts will show up around me.
These features are not affected by the AT&T service

When the trial was over, all I lose is the Hotspot, weather, news apps and the ability to stream the Live music apps like Deezer and Spotify.
Wasn't worth the $20 a month AT&T service

·
Premium Member
2019 I-Pace HSE - Borasco Grey
205 Posts
Here's the official lists of how to connect to the "Pro" services and what becomes available with them:

·
Registered
18 Posts
When I need to, like getting live traffic on satnav, I use my phone as hotspots and wifi-ing my car to it.
To me it seems redundant having another phone service for the car.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Maybe different in Canada (since we don't have AT&T). The sat traffic continues to work as long as the SIM is in place. No hot spot, weather or web browsing, but everything else works. I think the "Pro Services" are different than the SIM subscription even if the Pro services still use the SIM somehow (they stop if I remove/deactivate the SIM).

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe different in Canada (since we don't have AT&T). The sat traffic continues to work as long as the SIM is in place. No hot spot, weather or web browsing, but everything else works. I think the "Pro Services" are different than the SIM subscription even if the Pro services still use the SIM somehow (they stop if I remove/deactivate the SIM).
Don't you also lose the streaming music apps like TuneIn?

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
465 Posts
Agreed. Not sure which old thread addressed this, but I recall posting this point. I had all sorts of issues with getting the AT&T service working such that live weather and news updates as well as the browser function were working, but during that time I had live traffic. The live traffic does seems to be independent of the AT&T account.
Back to this thread: I kept the AT&T account ($10/month), but rarely use it. I see it as more of a back up plan.

·
Registered
692 Posts
It's good to hear someone can get this voice recognition working. Does the voice recognition work via the AT&T connection and thus AT&T's connection become essent
Since you've been able to get it working, let me ask you this, can you say something like "Navigate to the nearest Best Buy". Does that phrasing work or does it have to be said in a different way?
I say something like, "Go to Best Buy" and the car will produce a list of Best Buys by distance from the vehicle and will ask you for a line number that you can verbally respond to or select manually on the touchscreen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts