Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did an over the air software update over a month ago to the following version from 18C:

S19B_19.35.5-418001.

That update seemed to work, at least Apple CarPlay worked reliably. It was still quite slow. I thought I had the "S19B" update that has been discussed in numerous place across the web.

Well this week I received an email from Jaguar indicating there was a new software update for my car. That afternoon as I prepared to drive home I checked for software updates in the car interface, and indeed there was an update for the car. I allowed the update to proceed and after the update I now have the following version:

S19B_19.40.4-436082.

This version is noticeably faster., Preconditioning now actually works, and I even get the goodbye screen when I turn off the car if I have a departure set.

So there are at least two versions of S19B in play, and the latest version is noticeably different, and so far it has been stable.

·
Registered
39 Posts
S19B_19.40.4-436082 crashed my system

I had S19B_19.40.4-436082, but my screens went blank and the dealer downgraded back to the prior version 19B version, which (for now) works in it's poorly designed manner.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Newer version of S19B downloaded. Took 35 mins. Installation worked flawlessly. Just follow the onscreen instructions. Was not available on my car until I went to settings, software update. Pressed enable button off and on once.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Also updated my 2017 F-pace. Now it has apple CarPlay and android auto for free. Jaguar was charging 250 dollars for this as smartphone package.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Also updated my 2017 F-pace. Now it has apple CarPlay and android auto for free. Jaguar was charging 250 dollars for this as smartphone package.
Huh? CarPlay was always supported (maybe not at first because the software was not ready), but I don't think it was ever a paid option?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I had an interesting back and forth with my dealer about how the update worked. I noted that I have never seen an update being available despite having OTA active on the car. The dealer was adamant that I had to be on a WIFI network, either the "public" network on the SIM (if active), or connected to WIFI hotspot. Essentially, the browser on the infotainment system had to see the internet. I thought this made no sense since the update was downloaded as you drove, which implies the "private" SIM network (the one that enables traffic and Inconnetrol etc..) was used to download. It made absolutely no sense to me that you needed to be on a WIFI to CHECK for downloads when the downloads themselves worked through the private connection. Whenever I checked, I got a "No Updated Available" message rather than "No Internet COnnectoin", which is what I would have expected had it been a connectivity issue rather than an availability issue.

Anyway, when I got home, I connected to the home WIFI (lucky the router is close enough to reach my driveway) and checked and low and behold, an update was available. Time to eat some humble pie I thought. I did not have time to update at that time, so I decided to try the update the next day. As I left the next day, I initiated the update (and dot the downloading... message and drove to work. Duringthe drive, it completed the download and installed it. This leads to 2 possibilities:

1: The system can only check for updates via the external "public" connection, but can download it via the "private" network.

2: The sales rep asked the service rep, who thought "oops, I better enable the download" and that happened to be just before I attempted the check again using the WIFI. I was out of town and emailing back and forth with the rep, so there is a reasonable time window for that to have happened.

Anyone have more observations to resolve the ambiguity? I'd hate to have to wait for the next update to figure this out.

Thanks
P.s>, The new update is a big improvement over the original version I had since getting the car last spring.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
To be clear there are two SIMs and data connection in the I Pace. One perform connectivity and other car functions and doesn’t require a paid data plan. Software update, connected features and live traffic requires a second (supposedly ATT but there are other options) data plan SIM you provide. The SOTA will only download from that connection or WiFi.

So IF you do not have the second data plan active then the dealer is correct. I have downloaded and updated both from the data SIM and from WiFi.

·
Registered
250 Posts
To be clear there are two SIMs and data connection in the I Pace. One perform connectivity and other car functions and doesn’t require a paid data plan. Software update, connected features and live traffic requires a second (supposedly ATT but there are other options) data plan SIM you provide. The SOTA will only download from that connection or WiFi.

So IF you do not have the second data plan active then the dealer is correct. I have downloaded and updated both from the data SIM and from WiFi.
That still does not match my observations. My 3 month trial ended some time ago, so I don't have that second (what I refer to as "public" SIM connection) active, I still get traffic and downloaded the latest update while driving, so it points to the probability that the traffic data and software updates use the other "Private" SIM. What I can't tell is if the update availability check requires that second "public" SIM (or WIFI connection), or if it was a fluke that they happen to push the update for my car when I checked again after discussing it with my dealer via email.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wi-fi makes not difference for me.

I tried switching the Wi-Fi, but in a new difference on my ability to get a system update. I'm totally confused why Jaguar is not push its most current software to all of its users.

·
Super Moderator
1,716 Posts
My 3 month trial ended some time ago, so I don't have that second (what I refer to as "public" SIM connection) active, I still get traffic and downloaded the latest update while driving, so it points to the probability that the traffic data and software updates use the other "Private" SIM.
Your "paid" subscription is probably still active. You can test this by removing the center console SIM and seeing whether you still get traffic.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Your "paid" subscription is probably still active. You can test this by removing the center console SIM and seeing whether you still get traffic.
Hi,

Ok, that just seemed to raise even more questions! My observations:

1: Removing the SIM did indeed cause the maps to complain when I turned traffic on. Replacing the SIM caused it to go away. I did not try with the SIM out and WIFI connected.

2: With the SIM out, trying the web browser gives an error message trying to got to any web site, however with the SIM in, it re-directs to an ATT page, which fails to render, so it is blank. I assume it us because the trial period ended (I recall the browser working in the past).

So what I can deduct is that the SIM, even when the data plan is not active, still allows some data for the maps for some reason. I'll have to investigate further to see if that SIM is also responsible for the InControl software's ability to connect to the car.

I recall that there was some discussion with the assumption that there were 2 SIMS in the car, one private for the Jaguar behind the scenes stuff and a public SIM for the hotspot and web browser. Is it possible that there is only one SIM instead with the ability to allow some specific data and not other (without a data plan)?

·
Registered
406 Posts
So, I noticed after this update that WAZE doesn't show a MAP on Android-Auto? It's giving me turn directions, but no moving map?

Am, I doing something wrong/stupid? MAPS works great.

·
Super Moderator
1,716 Posts
So what I can deduct is that the SIM, even when the data plan is not active, still allows some data for the maps for some reason.
Very interesting! I wish my car weren't in the shop or I would test this. Maybe someone else who isn't subscribing to the AT&T plan but has the Center Console SIM still in there can check? Anyone?

I'll have to investigate further to see if that SIM is also responsible for the InControl software's ability to connect to the car.
It is not. It's the car SIM that communicates with HQ and sends data to their database.

I recall that there was some discussion with the assumption that there were 2 SIMS in the car, one private for the Jaguar behind the scenes stuff and a public SIM for the hotspot and web browser. Is it possible that there is only one SIM instead with the ability to allow some specific data and not other (without a data plan)?
It's not an assumption, it's a fact; there are two SIMs. The center console SIM is optional, the car's SIM is not and you're not currently paying for its functionality.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Very interesting! I wish my car weren't in the shop or I would test this. Maybe someone else who isn't subscribing to the AT&T plan but has the Center Console SIM still in there can check? Anyone?

It is not. It's the car SIM that communicates with HQ and sends data to their database.

It's not an assumption, it's a fact; there are two SIMs. The center console SIM is optional, the car's SIM is not and you're not currently paying for its functionality.
I recall there being 2 SIMS, but I could not recall if it was presented as fact, or result of observation. The strange dual-nature of the public SIM gave me pause. My InControl page shows that I am subscribed to InControl and Pro services until 2013. I assume that was part of the purchase since I did not buy these. Maybe these go through the public SIM but I find it strange that I am getting these services for free if Jag is somehow having to pay something for the data plan. Just seems complicated to split a SIM plan into what Jag pays for and what I would have pay for on one SIM when they have a second SIM under their control that can deal with that data.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts