Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
3,187 Posts
I park in the garage and charge to 100%. I thought you only charged to 80% when using quick charge like electrify america. I'll go down to 80% and see if I notice any changes.
Welcome Samantha!

What you're doing is fine and yes charging to 80% at an EA station is good because the last twenty percent will take a disproportionate amount of time; so it's really a convenience argument. At home I don't always charge to 100% but sometimes I do, maybe a third of the time. It's a tiny little bit better for battery longevity to do that, but not worth worrying about.

N.B.: Letting the battery sit at full charge for extended periods is not a good idea.

·
Registered
238 Posts
All garages should have smoke alarms also.
Just to expand on this a little bit because it's an important safety item:

Garages should definitely NOT have smoke detectors.

Too many false alarms from common garage fumes and dust would inure you to a real alarm, and could eventually damage the detector and render it inoperative.

Garages SHOULD have heat detectors interconnected with your home's smoke detectors.

·
Registered
2019 S with S21B and 16.2
196 Posts
I have had a smoke detector in the garage for 8 years. Have three natural gas appliances and always two cars in there. 5 years two electric cars, two years one ice and one electric and one year two ice cars. I got tired of replacing the battery in it a couple years ago and switched to a 10 year battery one. Never had a false or real alarm.

·
Registered
238 Posts
There is no law against it most places, but the National Fire Protection Association (who writes the fire protection codes) discourages placing smoke detectors in garages. Here in MA they do specifically require heat detectors in attached garages. I figure the people who do this stuff for a living know best.

·
Registered
2020 JaguarI-Pace
20 Posts
So, my spouse has asked I park her in the driveway after the 4th I-Pace battery fire. No news on anything since then and this brutal sun makes me cringe when I see her out there baking. Anyone else doing this or heard any updates? The local dealer did the absolute bare minimum when asked about the concern.

On a separate note, when I use Electrify America (and only them), the car gets this weird "battery traction error" message and drives at lowwww speeds for about 40 seconds. Related to anything serious?

End rant
I have had a few issues where my beautiful and exhilarating i-panthera decides to shut off the A/C if I don't pre-condition it just right in hot weather. My service center cannot duplicate the issue so I have resorted to online research. Per my findings, it seems to be related to the thermal management system placing resources where they are needed most. With that said, I now pre-condition my car as often as possible when I am about to drive it or after a long drive in the sun. Also I set the pre-conditioning when I charge at Electrify America. I am especially careful not to charge after the hyper charging vehicles like the MB EQS, Kia EV6 or Hyundai Ionic. Their charging speed draws so much power that the rubber power cords are hot to the touch. I stick to the Electrify America fast chargers that are limited to 150kwh. Nine times out of ten these tricks seem to help keep my car from overheating in any way so I feel comfortable keeping it in the garage.

I think I would have your service center check the error code logs as that message seems a bit odd and I have never seen the "battery traction error" on my MY20. There is another form topic that seems to be related. You can check it out Traction Fault, Brake Pedal Fault, car shuddering and...

21 - 27 of 27 Posts