Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my spouse has asked I park her in the driveway after the 4th I-Pace battery fire. No news on anything since then and this brutal sun makes me cringe when I see her out there baking. Anyone else doing this or heard any updates? The local dealer did the absolute bare minimum when asked about the concern.

On a separate note, when I use Electrify America (and only them), the car gets this weird "battery traction error" message and drives at lowwww speeds for about 40 seconds. Related to anything serious?

End rant

·
Administrator
3,186 Posts
I wish I had the space to park my cat in the garage ... instead I have to park it in the hot CA sun. It gets baked every day. That's why I got white ... I often leave the trunk half-way open and windows cracked during the hottest part of the day.

Does the EA problem occur regularly? I only had what you describe happen once, and changing chargers fixed it.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
2,093 Posts
Yes I let my 2019 cat sleep in my garage and dare to feed it to 100%.

You said you had "the 12v batt" replaced. Do you have a 2019 or 2020 model? Which of the two 12V batteries got replaced?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I let my 2019 cat sleep in my garage and dare to feed it to 100%.

You said you had "the 12v batt" replaced. Do you have a 2019 or 2020 model? Which of the two 12V batteries got replaced?
Yeah, 80% was the max I allowed her to charge up to back in the good ol garage days.

Maybe I’m being too much of a worry wart.
I actually didn’t realize there were TWO 12 volts. Interesting… taking her in just in case next week. I’ll update the thread with results

·
Registered
237 Posts
I park in the garage and don’t worry about it. @bradtipp is right that the risk is probably lower than with many ice vehicles. My previous car was an Audi A4 that I had to park outside for a year while they produced a redesigned after-run cooling pump that wouldn’t spontaneously combust.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I would never leave a kitty outside. Our alligator might get her. Although the youtube I saw yesterday where a Jaguar Swam up behind a crocodile and grabbed him for an underwater fight, that had the Jaguar surfacing with a Crock in his mouth, says Jaguars are pretty tough.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So, my spouse has asked I park her in the driveway after the 4th I-Pace battery fire. No news on anything since then and this brutal sun makes me cringe when I see her out there baking. Anyone else doing this or heard any updates? The local dealer did the absolute bare minimum when asked about the concern.
I wonder whether baking outside in the sun is more risky, from a heat -> battery perspective than in a cool(er) garage. We normally charge to 65%. Garage is 5/8" drywall ceiling per fire code, plus heat detector on ceiling.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I wonder whether baking outside in the sun is more risky, from a heat -> battery perspective than in a cool(er) garage. We normally charge to 65%. Garage is 5/8" drywall ceiling per fire code, plus heat detector on ceiling.
True. But then the fire is outside the house and less likely to be as dangerous. Having said that, I feel the risk of a fire is quite small.

ive read the I pace is safe to charge to 100 percent with minimal degradation. I charge to 80% not for the battery, but so I don’t lose the regenerative braking!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Remember, you NEVER charge to 100%, Jaguar's battery management system prevents that from happening. There is no benefit to limiting your charge if you drive the car normally. There is a recommended storage charge for LiPO batteries, but that is for long term storage. The fire risk we hear about with LiPO batteries is usually due to a short, damage, or defective battery. It is not associated with full charges.

Also keep in mind, you can do more damage by running your batteries low. Again, Jaguar's software protects that from happening.

For me, Charge and Go! If I reduce capacity, hopefully it is enough to get me a new pack within the 8yr warranty :)

·
Registered
838 Posts
I am a non smoker and so is my Jaguar.
lol!

I don’t think there is a big difference in battery management. I don’t plan on keeping the car more than 5 years so any marginal change that will manifest itself after the 8 year battery warranty is not a big deal to me. I suspect that 8 years from now battery replacements will be common on EVs. And I would not be suprised if in 8 years there is an upgraded battery available for people to swap out at a cost.

I only charge to 80 so that I still get regenerative braking, and I don’t have to change my driving style. not for the battery.

·
Registered
43 Posts

On a separate note, when I use Electrify America (and only them), the car gets this weird "battery traction error" message and drives at lowwww speeds for about 40 seconds. Related to anything serious?

End rant
First, I am in a MY20 i-pace for disclosure. With that said, petrol cars catch fire at a much higher rate than EVs in general; i-paces 4 cars out of 53k or 0.00754716981% to petrols .04 percent of vehicles catching fire in a given year. I would also add that the 4 i-paces have not all caught fire in a single year. I say this because no one is keeping their petrol in the back 40 for fear of a fire. All garages should have smoke alarms also. Do as you will and your wife says..... :ROFLMAO:

Electrify America gave a similar bug for me when it would not initiate charging at any of the 8 "working" stalls while a ChargePoint a few miles away worked just fine. Not sure if it is a software car to plug issue.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 27 Posts