Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if I asked this here before, but has anyone figured out a way to get the Apple Maps up onto the HUD.
I love the Apple Maps for ease of use, but it negates the point of HUD if I have to look down & to the center console to see the map & the turn directions.

If it can't be done, yet, JLR can you address this shortcoming!

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
245 Posts
It can't currently be done. Until the latest iOS release in September it wasn't even possible for anyone to do it. It now it, but it's definitely not a small bit of code to add that to the system. I suspect you'll see that first on BMWs, because they seem to be the early adopters for CarPlay features, and I don't expect to see it generally for years.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Apple just added the ability to display content on multiple vehicle screens in iOS 13, but no car maker has implemented this yet. If (big if) this is something JLR implements it seems much more likely it would be apple maps in the instrument panel display as opposed to the HUD. The HUD just seems too low resolution

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
185 Posts
I don't know if I asked this here before, but has anyone figured out a way to get the Apple Maps up onto the HUD.
I love the Apple Maps for ease of use, but it negates the point of
I think the end of this sentence should be "...
..negates the point of Apple Maps".

I appreciate that some folks love their ianythings, but any mapping system that does not work with the hardware provided - especially the HUD - is not ideal. While the maps and software from JLR are not the best, they work and get you from A to B. I am a big proponent of the HUD, and anything that does not work with it is not worth my time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the end of this sentence should be "...
..negates the point of Apple Maps".
No, it negates the point of the HUD. CarPlay is there because it is what people want. They just want their apps to be displayed where they need them most. As for the other comment that it may be able to be displayed on the dash behind the wheel, I'd take that too. But in the HUD would be best.

JLR you have to be able to implement this. ...

·
Registered
100 Posts
AA can support a secondary display in principal, but I have not heard of JLR enabling it in their vehicles. I would not hold my breath for any third party content in the HUD - it looks to me like that display is almost sprite-based and can't display arbitrary content.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
245 Posts
The turn by turn directions that show up in the HUD seem to have quite a bit of variation, so that part might be possible, but I doubt CarPlay / AA is ready to do that small of a display. The dash seems much more likely, and definitely seems more likely to happen before the HUD.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Qtown, the funny thing is that back in the day before the letter "i" preceded everything, us Mac folks NEVER even thought about being the majority -- we just laughed at everyone who was. Then Apple sold it's soul to Intel and I've been a Windows user almost ever since -- except for all my iDevices that is!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sometimes the ipeople of the world forget that that they are not the majority. 🙂
It would be interesting to know how the demographics of Jaguars and iPhones vs Androids match up. I wouldn't be surprised if that those in the market for high-cost cars are also more likely to be iPhone users, so maybe iPhones are a majority here. Here's an interesting Forbe's article on the subject:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would like to see numbers split between Tesla owners and I-Pace owners. Given the prices, I’d expect demographics like education, income, and job roles to be very similar, so where are the differences? Android vs. iPhone? Coke vs. Pepsi? Boxers vs. briefs?

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
185 Posts
It would be interesting to know how the demographics of Jaguars and iPhones vs Androids match up. I wouldn't be surprised if that those in the market for high-cost cars are also more likely to be iPhone users, so maybe iPhones are a majority here.
Remembering the rules of distribution within categorical propositions I would be more likely to believe the reverse: iPhone users are more likely to be "in the market for high cost cars". However, that statement has so many economic and image related connotations, that extending it logically to a brand (JLR) that has image and reliability issues would seem to be a stretch.

(Referencing the article: I would seem to be in the techie category, with extensive higher education, so not surprisingly I own an android based system. However, when the author states "Both iPhone and Android people are affluent, educated, eager digital device consumers, and well-represented across the adult age spectrum up to 65" he lost my attention - what about the billions of cell phone users that are neither affluent nor educated?)

I would not be surprised if iPhone users overweigh wrt Tesla ownership, similarly Honda or Toyota ownership. But "overweigh"-ing only implies more ownership that would be expected by a random distribution, hence both iPhone and android both overweight with regard to higher education.
A survey would be nice, but believe me, if JLR's market research folks had determined that the majority of their prospective customers were iPhone users, AppleCarPlay would be a feature in the I-Pace, and I would be driving an "i-Pace"

·
Registered
32 Posts
The turn by turn directions that show up in the HUD seem to have quite a bit of variation, so that part might be possible, but I doubt CarPlay / AA is ready to do that small of a display. The dash seems much more likely, and definitely seems more likely to happen before the HUD.
Using Android Auto on my Honda and the turn by turn shows up in the HUD with both Google maps and Waze. Also pinch to zoom works as well. Neither works on my I pace

1 - 15 of 15 Posts