Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I need about 1500 watts to use the car as a power source for tools.

Tell me your story.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The DC-DC Jaguar EV inverter is larger than 2kW, since it must run all the 12v systems on board.
You park the car in the ON position. You turn on the inverter (hooked through heavy gauge wires to 12v battery with fuse) which is mounted in the bonnet.
The DC-DC Inverter of the the Jag will power >1000 watts with headlights off and stereo off (more than 1000w) and will use the 12v battery as a buffer.

It can be done, just like any car. The DC-DC inverter in an I-Pace is more powerful than the alternator in a car.

1500 watts is less than 2kW.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
100 amp slo-blow. It will start 1500w capacitive loads, but can't sustain more than 1200w.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I think you are fine for intermittent use. If you want a buffer to help moderate the immediate load on the vehicle consider making up a battery-inverter combo to bring along and use some jump cables to keep it topped off. Otherwise just about every power tool is available as battery powered and could easily be charged through an inverter.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you are fine for intermittent use. If you want a buffer to help moderate the immediate load on the vehicle consider making up a battery-inverter combo to bring along and use some jump cables to keep it topped off. Otherwise just about every power tool is available as battery powered and could easily be charged through an inverter.
Basically it would be used to recharge the batteries for portable tools. My chargers are up to 550w, and I have two chargers. I've been using my I-Pace in place of my pickup on some jobs. But the batteries stop me.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
904 Posts
Can you connect to the 12V battery posts of the large 12V battery like you would on an ICE? Yes, that would be under the cover they tell you to remove for fluid inspections, but I don't see that as a difficult thing to do since there are some nearby openings in other covers you could route wiring through if needed.

BTW, the car will shut down after about 20 minutes if it is "started" and doesn't move.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is there a way to keep the car "running" for more than 20 minutes? After reading the manual, I thought it might work to start the car from the passenger seat and then exit. The car definitely turns off if you exit from driver's side.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
523 Posts
Is there a way to keep the car "running" for more than 20 minutes? After reading the manual, I thought it might work to start the car from the passenger seat and then exit. The car definitely turns off if you exit from driver's side.
Does "neutral" and "park" not keep the car running?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had it in Park yesterday just to try to charge my iPhone and iPad. Did not seem to work. Perhaps it would be different with connecting an inverter directly to the battery. Have no tried Neutral.

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
65 Posts
I put it in drive and pull the parking brake and it stays on. For how long I don’t know, it’s usually just 30 seconds while I run inside for something

1 - 15 of 15 Posts