Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was stopped at a stop light last night, behind another car (of all things, a Tesla Model S). I was completely stopped. But, a bag had fallen off my passenger seat, and I was leaning down to the floor to grab it and apparently my foot wasn't solidly on the brake pedal. And, my car (Creep Mode OFF!!! and as far as I can tell on a "flat" road) found enough incline to roll forward and bump the Tesla. :crying:

I have a 2 foot crack in the plastic below my grill from one parking sensor to the other. The parking sensors NEVER went off, and I thought we have "anti-collision/auto braking" to prevent this. Don't we??!! (It was raining.)

The YouTube videos on the I-Pace before it was released touted it with Mark Strong's narration.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yes, for some reason it does roll forward on flat roads. On an incline, it stops, doesn't roll back

Here is an instructional video of how it works.

Out of all the cars you had to hit a Tesla

·
Registered
169 Posts
I know the I-Pace can get away from you not even knowing.
I sometimes just put the car in Park, even for a second or so, just to keep from rolling.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The anti collision only works above 3mph according to the manual. The brake will set when stopped to prevent roll back if you depress the brake and you can remove your foot. It wont prevent rolling forward on a downward incline. I just keep my foot on the brake at a red light similar to driving most ICE cars.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You can engage the parking brake (below and to the left of the steering column) to keep from rolling if you take your foot off the brake (whether or not creep is on). I do this all the time waiting at long lights so I can take my foot off the brake and "hold" the car in place. When you press the accelerator the brake will release the hold. I would definitely recommend engaging the brake hold (or else putting the car in Park) if you lean over to reach for anything!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah. I didn't mean to let off the brake, but I was trying to reach something that fell off the front seat onto the floor of the passenger side, and I guess I let off.

And, yes - of all cars to hit - a Tesla.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The second lesson learned here: Forget about the stuff that fell off the seat. It can wait until you get to your destination or a safe parking place.

It would also be embarrassing to getting that stuff off the floor, have the light change and people start honking waiting for you to get going.

That also applies to radar detectors, dash cams, phones, etc., mounted with suction cup devices that lose their suck.

·
Super Moderator
1,558 Posts
The hill hold works only in the direction opposite of what your driving mode is on. In D, it holds uphill, not downhill; in R it holds downhill, not uphill. I'd rather have it hold regardless but ...

I've been impressed by the seamlessness of switching between driving modes as well as release of the park brake. If you manually set the park brake all you have to do is press the gas pedal and off it goes with no discernible delay; when going into a parking spot backwards and you're in D for positioning and going forward you can just press R at the right time without letting your foot off the pedal and it will decelerate forward and then accelerate backward very smoothly. Putting it into P for a second or 2 also works very smoothly, with very little lag. These are advantages of a well-designed EV drivetrain!

·
Registered
94 Posts
The hill hold works only in the direction opposite of what your driving mode is on. In D, it holds uphill, not downhill; in R it holds downhill, not uphill. I'd rather have it hold regardless but ...

I've been impressed by the seamlessness of switching between driving modes as well as release of the park brake. If you manually set the park brake all you have to do is press the gas pedal and off it goes with no discernible delay; when going into a parking spot backwards and you're in D for positioning and going forward you can just press R at the right time without letting your foot off the pedal and it will decelerate forward and then accelerate backward very smoothly. Putting it into P for a second or 2 also works very smoothly, with very little lag. These are advantages of a well-designed EV drivetrain!
Wow. Not sure I would have figured all that out. Off topic out of curiosity - does regenerative braking work in reverse? Backing downhill out of my driveway I have to use the brake pedal and I hear what sounds like the friction brakes working, rubbing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
"The hill hold works only in the direction opposite of what your driving mode is on."
Hardly intuitive is it--why would JLR make that design choice?
The Porsche I had before was bidirectional (you just gave the pedal an extra shove and it would hold on brake after releasing pedal) and our Tesla does this completely automatically when you come to a halt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts