Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my latest charge, I showed 226 miles with a 91% SOC. Temps have been in the upper 40s to low 50s throughout this latest charge period.

I was down to 43 miles with a distance traveled of 142 miles, as I initiated a charge at an EA high speed charger. That would indicate a new range for the latest charge of 185 miles, a 41 mile disparity from the initial estimate. There was nothing unusual about my trips, quite typical of the driving I've been doing with a mix of local & highway. Oh, and prior to this last charge I did reset the GOM although it only adjusted by 2 miles, so no biggie there.

This remains an annoyance for me as the GOM is so unpredictable and generally overly optimistic...sometimes significantly so as was the case here.

On the bright side, as I charged today at a new 150kW EA charger at a local mall, much to my surprise the high speed charging was free. Also on the bright side, the kitty was taking a rate of charge at a pretty consistent 75-80 kW. This was the highest rate I've yet seen and temps today had dropped to the low 30s. I confess I tried the blinker routine, but I didn't try turning them off to see if that impacted charging rates.

·
Registered
798 Posts
So on my latest charge, I showed 226 miles with a 91% SOC. Temps have been in the upper 40s to low 50s throughout this latest charge period.

I was down to 43 miles with a distance traveled of 142 miles, as I initiated a charge at an EA high speed charger. That would indicate a new range for the latest charge of 185 miles, a 41 mile disparity from the initial estimate. There was nothing unusual about my trips, quite typical of the driving I've been doing with a mix of local & highway. Oh, and prior to this last charge I did reset the GOM although it only adjusted by 2 miles, so no biggie there.

This remains an annoyance for me as the GOM is so unpredictable and generally overly optimistic...sometimes significantly so as was the case here.

On the bright side, as I charged today at a new 150kW EA charger at a local mall, much to my surprise the high speed charging was free. Also on the bright side, the kitty was taking a rate of charge at a pretty consistent 75-80 kW. This was the highest rate I've yet seen and temps today had dropped to the low 30s. I confess I tried the blinker routine, but I didn't try turning them off to see if that impacted charging rates.
I pay no attention to the GoM especially in cold weather. I tracked my consumption for 18 months using WattCat. I know that my summer range is about 230 miles and winter is 160-170. I also reset the trip computer after every charge. As I travel along I mentally divide the number of miles traveled by the SoC used to get an accurate "instant" range. For example, if I've gone 100 miles and used 50% I know that my range on this charge is about 200 miles. (100÷.50). All winter I was seeing 160-170 miles while the GoM would show 235. The GoM would adjust as I traveled but was always optimistic by 20-30 miles.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Curt. I just wish we didn't have to go through these mental gymnastics and felt more comfortable with that initial 'advertised range'. Since my SoC when I began charging at the EA charger was 18%, using your approach the math would yield a range at that point of 173 (142÷.82). That's a disparity of 53 miles from the initial GOM range, pretty pathetic IMO.

It was obvious over the charging period that the gap was continuing to widen between the initial estimate and where my range was as the days went by.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Thanks, Curt. I just wish we didn't have to go through these mental gymnastics and felt more comfortable with that initial 'advertised range'. Since my SoC when I began charging at the EA charger was 18%, using your approach the math would yield a range at that point of 173 (142÷.82). That's a disparity of 53 miles from the initial GOM range, pretty pathetic IMO.

It was obvious over the charging period that the gap was continuing to widen between the initial estimate and where my range was as the days went by.
I get you, Ken. The GoM was probably THE major source of frustration and discussion of the early members. As updates rolled out JLR promised better accuracy but I never saw a benefit. For awhile experienced members would try and warn new owners to not rely on their GoM when they would report huge range figures. I guess as more serious issues arised the practice stopped.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Responding to @CurtSprings2

Ford Focus Electric had a similar GOM to the I-pace. With only 76 miles of EPA range it was easier to deal with since planning to end with 20 miles of range meant more than 25% range variance allowed you make it to your destination. I remember one time I was planning a 100 mile trip. About 40 miles into the trip I hit slow and go traffic. After it learned my insane efficiency it said I could drive another 100+ miles. Another time I drove uphill fast into a headwind and my GOM dropped below 40 miles when starting with a full battery after about 2 miles.

I like the approach Tesla used on the two we owned. You can display percentage or dumb range (basically percentage times EPA rated 100% range) on the main part of the display. On one of the menus you could choose a window that will give you options to display a GOM figure that is as bad as the Ford and Jag. However, when you used the navigation it was mostly accurate. The navigation would estimate range upon arrival. The estimate accounted for speed limits and elevation changes. It would constantly adjust based on what seemed like your driving conditions since you unplugged. This was good and bad. It was excellent as long as you drove a consistent speed relative to the speed limit at a constant temperature with no wind. When I towed with the X with a charging stop it would show me arriving with lots of range left but figured it out after about 20 miles and then was great as long wind or temperature didn’t factor in.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As Proxy said, when I used my MS when navigating, it was quite accurate. I never recall errors of the magnitude I’m seeing with the I-Pace.

·
Registered
MY21 Portofino Blue HSE, Pano Roof, Clearsight Mirror, Air Suspension & AD, Upgraded Cabin Light
215 Posts
I think the other large impact on range is how you break up the miles. One trip versus several trips. The car obviously uses more charge at the beginning of a trip than later into it per mile. My GoM is about right for me at the moment if the miles were done in a single trip at about 220 miles per full charge.

·
Registered
798 Posts
My theory is the GoM on my car doesn't properly account for ambient temperature. I waited all fall and winter for the GoM to drop below it's summer range predictions but it remained at 235 miles. I have no idea what BECM software version the car is using but I don't think it's been updated since summer of 2019. That may account for the discrepancy.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Curt, I think this is spot on. It does seem the GoM is ignorant of ambient temperature and just goes along merrily thinking the weather is the same 12 months a year. I suggest the GoM take an introductory course in meteorology. ;)

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,109 Posts
My experience is different. It went way down in winter. Below 200 at the coldest. Now that it it has thawed around here the guess is starting in upper 220s to low 230s. It can start with one guess in the garage and change when it gets outside down (colder) or up (warmer). It is sensitive to climate control usage too as I can make it reguess by adjusting the cabin temperature for my seat (I have 4 zone climate).

·
Registered
18 Posts
This Jaguar web page has a very nice range calculator: Jaguar Electric Car Range Calculator

If you have 20" wheels, you drive on the highway, it's 68F outside and you have AC/heating on, based on that calculator you should expect 181 miles of range. That's on a brand new I-PACE. With time, it will be less. Going up hill and against wind will further reduce range.

GOM might not know what temperature will be out there, and it won't know if you are going to be on the highway, against wind or up hill. I noticed that the navigation can predict state of charge at destination a bit better since it knows what speed you will be travelling with and it knows elevation changes. But event then, it's still good to plan to arrive at at least 15-20% charge remaining.

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
43 Posts
Putting another plug in for PowerCruiseControl route planner on Android. The I-Pace version is not available for iOS yet, but the developer may be doing a beta test. It uses OBDII data, ambient temperature and elevation changes to estimate your range. It's well worth the subscription fee if you will be taking long road trips.

It's been a lifesaver on the long trips I've taken in the past.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Last month I made my first long distance trip of 2,800 miles just to have an adventure. I had similar issues with the range estimates after each charge. I resolved it by charging every 180 miles up to 80%, which took around 35 minutes to get there from around 10%. That tactic eliminated the problem of dealing with scarce chargers in Idaho and Montana, plus not taking forever to get the last 20% to reach a full charge.
I did notice one thing though. Selecting the ECO vs COMFORT mode made only a 2 mile difference. Is that what you folks have found as well? If so, why bother with ECO?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Putting another plug in for PowerCruiseControl route planner on Android. The I-Pace version is not available for iOS yet, but the developer may be doing a beta test. It uses OBDII data, ambient temperature and elevation changes to estimate your range. It's well worth the subscription fee if you will be taking long road trips.

It's been a lifesaver on the long trips I've taken in the past.
I was unaware of the Power Cruise Control App. I found it just now at the Apple App store...I-Pace Power Cruise Control. Is that the App you are referencing here? Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
@FTodd is using the right concept. I like to use percentage to determine range. In mild temperatures at freeway speeds with no wind I expected about 2.2 miles for every 1% plus 2% per 1,000’ elevation.

Some examples of GOM at mild temperatures unless noted for me:
Last week after all short trips with hours between trips 68 miles at 53%
A Big Bear trip I took recently:
After sitting for 12 hours after completing L2 charge 100% 261 miles
100 miles freeway with traffic averaging 40mph 65% 167 miles
33 more miles up a mountain road with 6000’ elevation gain 40% 106 miles
Return began at 9 degrees Celsius after 12 hour L1 charge 69% 164 miles
33 miles down mountain road 71% 156 miles
100 more miles freeway with traffic averaging 40mph 30% 78 miles
Longest round trip I took with a 5 minute stop averaging 60mph the GOM started at 252 and ended at 125. Started at 100% and finished at 50%.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Is there any way to get the driver display to show exact SOC % rather than the GOM range? The EV panel shows it of course but only when open.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts