Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Waze seems to struggle with current location, no issue on native navigation or Google Maps only Waze seems not to know vehicle location. Car is current for updates and so is the phone and Waze.

Anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,251 Posts
Yes. I have the same problem. It sounds nuts and I have no technical basis for this assertion, but removing my USB thumb drive from the other slot makes Waze location work much better. I think the issue is that Waze is using the GPS from the phone whereas Google Maps uses the car's GPS antenna. There is a Waze suggestion for this feature here: https://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59223-waze-suggestion-box/suggestions/33990550-android-auto-use-car-antenna
Can you elaborate on the idea that google maps uses the car's GPS antenna? When it's connected by bluetooth to the car?

P.s.: I just read that post ... is there more info on this somewhere?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Can you elaborate on the idea that google maps uses the car's GPS antenna? When it's connected by bluetooth to the car?

I meant when using Android Auto which only works when plugged into one of the two special USB ports in the center console of the I-Pace. A simple test that seems to prove my assertion is to look at the status bar at the top of your Android phone while running Android Auto plugged into the I-Pace USB slot. When running Waze, the location services icon appears. When running Google Maps, it does not. Note that if you switch from Waze to Google Maps, Waze is still running in the background using location services so you have to go to your phone and tell Waze to exit which takes location services with it while Google Maps continues to work.

If I bring up Google Maps without being connected to Android Auto, it activates location services whether or not the phone is connected to the car via bluetooth.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Both my wife and my Samsung phones have GPS lock issues on Google Maps with the phone below the dashboard, we have to raise them above the dash to get the signal lock again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Shielded from radar signals

Guys,

If you put your phone in the gap in the console the phone will lose all signal. This seems to be due to the fact the car has a device at the front that emits radar signals to keep distance behind traffic when you use speed control settings and the car is shielded. Even the windscreen glass has radar signal blocking black magic.

My wife has an iPhone XI and I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 9. The apple is better than my phone but it also has this problem. Your phone GPS needs clear access to satellites in a line of sight manner. I now place my phone on the dash in a lead cushion thang to mitigate. Do not put your phone in that snug nook in the console.

Unfortunately the Jag GPS software is not as good as Waze...however you can have it on screen and use Waze voice. I also tried some of the GPS apps that work with the Jag console which you have to buy.

It was a waste of money though.

The phone will not switch to the car GPS antennae via bluetooth when in this nook, dunno where that is coming from. I put a signal sensor all over the car to solve this puzzle and the signal in that nook on the phone is effectively completely blocked when in that nook position.

FYI

1 - 6 of 6 Posts