Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

air conditioning a/c issue

7K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Jeffrey Steinhorn 
#1 ·
I am a having an issue with the a/c in my i-pace. It seems to work great for the first 5-15 minutes when driving the vehicle but then just shuts off. Next time I get in my car and drive the a/c works and then shuts off. Once it shuts off it does not start back up until i stop driving. It also doesnt start if i just momentarily stop, it seems to have to sit for a bit. Doesn't seem to matter on the charge of the battery or the drive mode which generally is comfort. I am not hitting any buttons, I am just driving when it goes from cold to warm. I have an appointment on the 10th, for this and a software update. Just hoping someone will say something like, 'just change the auto a/c shut off setting hidden in...."

#3 · (Edited)
I am no expert, but you need to become familiar with the various modes of operation.

Auto climate mode can revert to manual if you adjust (override) the fan speed or temperature dials. Some cars have up to 4 AC zone controls, perhaps there is some interaction if the temperature is set too high in manual mode.

Eco climate mode will cut off air for unoccupied passenger seats and reduce AC power consumption in other ways.

The AC symbol at the top corner of the display must be lit up (orange) to provide heat-pump heating or cooling. The air vents will still blow when the heat-pump is off. I believe that heated air is available from heating elements, but with the AC symbol lit the heat-pump takes much less power from the battery.

Cheers, Steve

Reactions: CurtSprings2
#4 ·
I am no expert, but you need to become familiar with the various modes of operation.

Auto climate mode can revert to manual if you adjust (override) the fan speed or temperature dials. Some cars have up to 4 AC zone controls, perhaps there is some interaction if the temperature is set too high in manual mode.

Eco climate mode will cut off air for unoccupied passenger seats and reduce AC power consumption in other ways.

The AC symbol at the top corner of the display must be lit up (orange) to provide heat-pump heating or cooling. The air vents will still blow when the heat-pump is off. I believe that heated air is available from heating elements, but with the AC symbol lit the heat-pump takes much less power from the battery.

Cheers, Steve
I think I have a decent understanding of all these different modes. At first I was definitely in smart mode with the vents only blowing towards me as the driver. I turned smart and auto off, set temps to 65 tried a/c and max a/c but the above always seems to happen. I get around 45 degree air for about 10 minutes then it quickly rises to about outdoor temp. I can be driving along on a hot day, I wont touch any controls and the car is definitely not down to temp inside the car and 80 degree air will start coming through the vents. Nothing I do for the rest of my 50 minute commute will kick the a/c back on.

#13 ·
I picked up my car today from the dealership and the a/c is fixed. The dealership evacuated the existing refrigerant, performed a pressure test which it passed, refilled the system and stated it is now operating as designed. I have a 50 minute drive home and i had a/c all the way home! I would have preferred that they found a problem that was then fixed but at least its working.

#16 ·
I have noticed the same symptom today.
Plan on calling for yet another appointment.
Hope just needs coolant added.
May be cool and autumn by the time I get an appointment though.

#18 ·
I just picked up my I-Pace from dealer after having same A/C cooling problem.
The tech found refrigerant leak. Drained/recovered refrigerant. Replaced Shrader valve.
Recharged refrigerant and tested to normal operations. Hope it is fixed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.