Has this happened to you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I took my I-Pace (2019) on a long drive over the weekend that involved about 4 recharges. On a couple of occasions, after recharging on a Combo Supercharger, the car AC would blow hot air. Driving for another 45 minutes did not change it. This happened on a prior trip as well. Only after letter the car sit overnight without further charging did the AC start to work fine again. Does anyone have a solution here? Is this a defect that we need to raise with the dealer? When driving in 100 degree heat, having no AC is terrible. There must be a way to address this.

Also, I often park in the hot sun at work where the temperature goes to 115 degrees. The car AC works just fine after being in the sun and heat all day, unplugged in. The only time this happens to me is after supercharging after a long drive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ken, yes it did happen when I was driving back from Vegas in the evening. The temperature was in the high 80s at night. But I have not had the chance to try it out in the 70s or 60s. I supercharged for a bit while in a covered garage during a very hot day and the AC worked fine after that.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Ken, yes it did happen when I was driving back from Vegas in the evening. The temperature was in the high 80s at night. But I have not had the chance to try it out in the 70s or 60s. I supercharged for a bit while in a covered garage during a very hot day and the AC worked fine after that.
I think the more you can narrow it down for the dealer the better. You initially mentioned you charged 4 times and twice you had the issue. The 2 times you didn’t have the issue, were those also at Superchargers? If so, what was different there? Were they the same brand of chargers? Were you charging at the same charging rate? Or was it just a case of the problem beginning on the 3rd charge?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ken, I would have to say it always occurs at the end of the day. It happened on 50kWh fast chargers and 350 kWh super fast charges (I don't think I-Pace will actually take the 350, but it will take 100). The brand of charger I have used where the overheating happens is EVGO and Electrify America. It has not happened with the slower 7kWh chargers or the wall chargers.

It does happen usually when the car is receiving a second or third super charge for the day at the end of the day after a lot of driving. On long distance drives, it is not uncommon to need 2 or 3 charges to make it back.

·
Super Moderator
2,266 Posts
This is beginning to sound like a designed mechanism for thermal protection of the battery. Driving fast in heat and then fast charging seriously heats up the battery.
Here's just one anecdote but I can imagine how this extrapolates to the more challenging conditions you had:
On my first trip home when I bought the car I drove ~80mph for >couple hundred miles with two fast charging stops. It was actually a fairly cool day and still the battery heated up to 90F during driving. On the second charging stop the battery heated to 108F just during the 30 min of fast charging at an EA charger. (I have an OBD tool that shows the battery temp.) I'd imagine if you did this type of driving, as you seem to have, in much hotter temperatures that the battery is well above 100F when you charge and then you pile on the charging, heating the battery even more. Also, the battery takes an enormous amount of time to cool when the car just sits, so having to wait overnight for the AC to get back to normal would be consistent with that.

·
Registered
777 Posts
This is beginning to sound like a designed mechanism for thermal protection of the battery. Driving fast in heat and then fast charging seriously heats up the battery.
Here's just one anecdote but I can imagine how this extrapolates to the more challenging conditions you had:
On my first trip home when I bought the car I drove ~80mph for >couple hundred miles with two fast charging stops. It was actually a fairly cool day and still the battery heated up to 90F during driving. On the second charging stop the battery heated to 108F just during the 30 min of fast charging at an EA charger. (I have an OBD tool that shows the battery temp.) I'd imagine if you did this type of driving, as you seem to have, in much hotter temperatures that the battery is well above 100F when you charge and then you pile on the charging, heating the battery even more. Also, the battery takes an enormous amount of time to cool when the car just sits, so having to wait overnight for the AC to get back to normal would be consistent with that.
That’s exactly what I was thinking too, thermal protection of the battery. It would be nice if we had more owner confirmations of this behavior to be sure.

I can’t recall reading about this behavior with Teslas. However Tesla did slow down charging rates of frequent users of Superchargers. But with all the long trips Tesla owners take, I’d think we’d hear of this behavior if it existed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That’s exactly what I was thinking too, thermal protection of the battery. It would be nice if we had more owner confirmations of this behavior to be sure.

I can’t recall reading about this behavior with Teslas. However Tesla did slow down charging rates of frequent users of Superchargers. But with all the long trips Tesla owners take, I’d think we’d hear of this behavior if it existed.
Thanks everyone. Is this a defect that I should raise with Jaguar? It seems understandable that it would overheat but it is also an expected situation that should have been properly engineered or disclosed prior to purchase.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
830 Posts
In my latest 800 mile journey with a leg of it in 90+ temps, when I stopped at EA charger, the first charger (350kW) I tried only charged it 27kW rate. It didn't go up in 15 minutes so I moved over to a 150kW charger and it started out at 102kW and dropped from there.

I didn't mention it in the other posting, but I tried engaging Climate control in the remote to cool off the cabin. It only blew hot air. I was better off finding a shady spot to sit outside the car. After the charging, it blew cold air when the car was in motion. It clearly hadn't engaged the AC during the charging session even though it had responded to the climate request.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do you see the rate of charge? Is there an application you download or is there a setting I can see in the car?

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
830 Posts
How do you see the rate of charge? Is there an application you download or is there a setting I can see in the car?
The chargers used by the larger charging companies display the rate on the chargers. Here's a snip from an EA display as it started charging. The charging rate is below the %SOC. I wish they'd make it bigger.

Their apps usually show a rate too, usually in a graphed format.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Good question! Folks who regularly fast charge at EA and other sites will have to help but my ChargePoint system has an app that shows not only my home rate but also if I use one of their commercial chargers. WattCat also has a logging function that shows charging rate.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
458 Posts
Good question! Folks who regularly fast charge at EA and other sites will have to help but my ChargePoint system has an app that shows not only my home rate but also if I use one of their commercial chargers. WattCat also has a logging function that shows charging rate.
Same for EA, and I believe all other fast chargers and their apps.

·
Super Moderator
2,266 Posts
Thanks everyone. Is this a defect that I should raise with Jaguar? It seems understandable that it would overheat but it is also an expected situation that should have been properly engineered or disclosed prior to purchase.
If you want to file an inquiry with JLR you can via their customer support. It's a little painful because the customer reps don't know anything technical, they're just conduits. Also, they want to hear that you've been to the dealer and that the dealer couldn't figure anything out. I would recommend asking a very specific question to which the rep can get a yes or no answer, such as: "Should the AC stop blowing cold air when the battery is really hot after a long fast drive at high temperatures and fast-charging"; rather than a long description of the issue, where invariably something gets lost in translation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had this happen a couple of times. It seems to be a quirk whenever I'm using a new/different level 3 charger. It seems that if I use the jag app and turn on climate control before starting the car, even for a few minutes, it either fixes the problem or prevents it from happening. I keep saying "seems" b/c I don't fast charge that often.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Are you driving the car in comfort mode? I understand this mode will provide maximum cooling for the battery and the cabin.

Are you using the precondition function while charging? I understand this gets more cooling to the battery while stopped. Although under the conditions I would expect the air conditioner was running full throttle while charging.

Also helps reduce heating when fast charging to run the battery down as low as possible and stop charging at 80% - 90%.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts