Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
MY2019
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - would anyone here know if swapping out the MY2019 standard rearview mirror with a digital rearview mirror - at a (preferably) reputable auto repair shop - void my Jaguar warranty?

I've been reading up on installation of a digital mirror here in the forums and elsewhere, and it seems doable (by someone other than me that is...will definitely need a professional in my case), but just worried that if I do this, I may run into trouble in the future with dealerships, should any issues arise whilst still under the cat/car's warranty?

Any advice would be much appreciated - thank you all!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I am not a lawyer, but as I understand it, in the US at least, a manufacturer cannot just blanket “void your warranty.” If a modification could plausibly have caused a failure then they could deny coverage for that failure, but unrelated failures should remain covered. It seems unlikely that you would run into trouble with a video mirror causing a warranty denial on something like a traction battery fault or the AC failing, for example. Also, given that newer I-paces have a video mirror, would the average service tech even realize it’s a modification?

·
Registered
MY2019
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @kkemp - I did see something similar to what you're suggesting re "not a blanket void unless related fault" in my searches, but then I thought there's a possibility to connect anything to anything if someone really wanted to blame an aftermarket mirror (in your example) a battery drain (mirror drains 12v or whatever battery is involved in the rear mirror power, causes more load somewhere else, that leads somehow to the traction battery...bah I'm playing Devil's Advocate here you know where I'm trying to get to with this example!)

In my hope of hopes, I'm hoping that someone in this forum has done the aftermarket replacement of the analogue to digital mirror, and lived to tell the tale when it comes to warranty staying intact in any subsequent dealership maintenance/repair.

·
Registered
MY2019
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hm I just found this on topix during my research on this: JLRGPS 01v2 - Aftermarket & Counterfeit Parts | TOPIx:

Aftermarket/Counterfeit parts remain the sole responsibility of the manufacturer or repairer using them. Their use may void the vehicle warranty by Jaguar Land Rover, and their use may cause other related components to not be covered under warranty should a failure occur. Genuine Jaguar Land Rover replacement parts and accessories installed by trained technicians help preserve the performance and integrity of your vehicle.
...but still - hoping this is just a company covering themselves but would still not automatically connect the dots from an aftermarket digital mirror to any fault. Plus still hoping to hear from someone who's gone through with converting their 2019 mirror to digital AND had the ok from the dealership re warranty!

·
Registered
815 Posts
The systems that I have seen involve a screen that fits over your rear view mirror and then and rear view camera that you would have to run to the back. I wouldn’t worry about any warranty being voided.

I have it and honestly feel it’s a mixed bag. Camera is jarring and takes some getting used too (took me a few months to be honest) and I’m not sure I would go through the trouble of installing one. I don’t think there is a big safety advantage. But it is a really cool feature that almost everybody comments on!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Thanks for the insight (rearsight?) @Slam08 - could you comment on which camera you got and if it was a simple enough install? Did it come with a front facing dashcam too?
I have a my22 with the option installed from the factory. As far as I can tell it’s mainly a camera in the fin on the top of the out of the car that displays on a screen on the rear view mirror. There isn’t a front facing camera or dash cam. Unfortunately!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a FY19 model and added the Pormido 12” dash cam mirror. It sits on top of existing mirror, and the cables were easy to push into the trim edges. I use the rear camera inside. The visibility is amazing compared to the original mirror, and it records front and rear automatically. There are no changes to the car and no issues with impacting the warranty. I bought this on Amazon for less than $200.

·
Registered
MY2019
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great @bremington - I'll have a look at that camera option and see if it's easy enough even for me to install! (If the camera can be used inside that's promising as it may be easy enough for me to do...thanks for the recommendation!

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have a FY19 model and added the Pormido 12” dash cam mirror. It sits on top of existing mirror, and the cables were easy to push into the trim edges. I use the rear camera inside. The visibility is amazing compared to the original mirror, and it records front and rear automatically. There are no changes to the car and no issues with impacting the warranty. I bought this on Amazon for less than $200.
Glad to see someone installed one! How did you install the rear view camera?

·
Registered
MY2019
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@bremington - was this the exact model you purchased? Did you need to get anything else for the interior rear cam install apart from an SD card, like an extension cable, bolts or tape for the camera attachment etc?

(there's another 12inch attachable mirror that's slightly pricier but this one is $199.99)

And did you purchase or attach that parking monitor option? I assume not as that's a whole other headache and the ipace has that backup cam...

·
Registered
815 Posts
The rear view camera and wires seem like the biggest problem.

The adjustable backup lines are cool. Nice how you can customize them.

And that model is a touchscreen! That’s cool.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts