Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the answer, I think I really do, at its core, Jag is a conventional car company, and this electric dalliance is a one-off. But I'll ask so I know, Tesla recently announced rear seat heaters (which it seems were installed in ALL the Model 3s) could be activated via software for a fee.

https://electrek.co/2020/02/15/tesla-rear-heated-seats-model-3-ota-upgrades/

Am I right Jag doesn't do any such thing? They build the car with options and that's that? I don't see much in the way of software influencing the Jag at all, but I thought I would ask...

·
Registered
235 Posts
I know the answer, I think I really do, at its core, Jag is a conventional car company, and this electric dalliance is a one-off. But I'll ask so I know, Tesla recently announced rear seat heaters (which it seems were installed in ALL the Model 3s) could be activated via software for a fee.

Am I right Jag doesn't do any such thing? They build the car with options and that's that? I don't see much in the way of software influencing the Jag at all, but I thought I would ask...
Crazy story and I don't think JLR would pull such a stunt but perhaps I'm too trusting. As far as the I-Pace being a one off, they're building an XJ EV. JLR is fully committed to electrification but again, perhaps I trust them too much.

·
Registered
22 Posts

I think my dealer summed it up.... Tesla is a tech company and Jaguar is a car company

·
Registered
521 Posts
Yea seems like Tesla has a tendency to build one car and software derate the options to what you paid for. Can upgrade later on these options at an increased option price.

Virtually every other car company only installs the hardware if it was actually ordered. Regardless of software updates if the hardware is not in place the option does not function.

Don't try to apply Tesla economics to I-Pace.

·
Registered
44 Posts

A couple things to keep in mind about the Tesla 3.

1) It's like the Ikea of cars. It's sparse and there aren't a lot of interior options to begin with.

2) Interior accessories cost a lot less in the Tesla 3 compared to other cars (including previous Tesla models). Why? Because most interior options are made by outside vendors. For instance an auto dimming mirror comes from one vendor. It has a bunch of electronics in it to operate the mirror. In order to control that mirror the automaker then needs to have an interface module made so the car can talk to it. On the Tesla 3 they tell the vendor to skip the electronics. They'll control the mirror directly. The Tesla 3 has one big computer board that controls everything. No interface modules. The Tesla 3 Auto Dimming mirror is estimates to cost less than half that of a comparable mirror on a traditional car.

What that means for the rear seat heaters is its likely less than $40 Build Of Materials (BOM) cost to have the seat maker put the heater cord in the back seats. Rear heated seats are controlled from the front display. There's no buttons or anything. So it's a very easy option to add after the fact.

I don't think a lot of other auto makers would put in rear seat heats with no buttons for the back passengers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I am becoming painfully aware Jag is a car manufacturer, like all other carmakers. I was hoping they would embrace the tech side a little stronger than I've seen so far.

Well, I'm in it now, so let's see where this goes. I really like the car, I am really scared my dealer doesn't seem to know they sell electric cars.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well, I'm in it now, so let's see where this goes. I really like the car, I am really scared my dealer doesn't seem to know they sell electric cars.
Dealers will have to learn! JLR is promising electrification of all models including an XJ EV, PHEVs, and hybrids. Reading about the many dealership complaints regarding I-Pace service it's clear that the dealer is in weak link in EV adoption by the general public. Some of this is intentional as they make far less money maintaining a car that has so few moving parts and low service schedule.

That being said, my service department is awesome. They admit when they don't know something and work closely with JLR for complex repairs. My problem was with the sales department who despite my stated interest to buy an I-Pace kept showing me E and F-Paces.

·
Registered
137 Posts
No other company is dumb enough to install heated seats in a car only to then provide an option to activate them 3 years later like Tesla does. JLR simply wouldn't include the heated seat hardware in the seat.

There is a reason why Tesla is structurally unprofitable.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No other company is dumb enough to install heated seats in a car only to then provide an option to activate them 3 years later like Tesla does. JLR simply wouldn't include the heated seat hardware in the seat.

Yeah....I guess time will tell...

·
Registered
88 Posts

On the other hand, it opens up the possibility of selling the same feature multiple times, which they have already begun doing. Want those heated seats on your pre-owned Tesla? Swipe your credit card in the slot next to your center display...

·
Registered
44 Posts

No. Monroe and Associates (the same guys that lit up the Model 3 about extra welds in the news) said the wiring and electronics setup in the 3 was so well done that Tesla saved thousands compared to a traditional car maker. They calculated a Build Of Material Margin of at least 30% on the model 3. They actually went back and said they were "eating crow" about the margins of the model 3 because they initially had speculated it barely broke even.

Tesla is dumb about used car sales, some fit and finish practices and Elon's tweets. They are not dumb about the electronics in the car.

·
Registered
380 Posts

When Land Rover introduced the option of heated seats to the North American versions of the Discovery, they all got the heated seat equipment installed except the switches and a different bezel unless the option was part of the factory build. Yes, a lot of people added those pieces after the fact.

I also added heated and remote control side mirrors to a person's 91 Dodge Monaco (aka Eagle Premier) after the fact. It was wired for them (included fuses) and only took installing the mirrors, switch and trim pieces.

In the case of the I-pace, now that cars are more software controlled, one would have to install the switches/knobs and enable through software even if all the wiring was in place.

These are samples of why I do a little research before purchase/lease. I find out what can be added afterwards and what should be built-in. Any "port installed" or "dealer installed" option could be added later. All others should probably be built-in. It becomes a matter of what fits the budget at the moment since factory installed is usually cheaper for some of the bigger items.

Tesla is probably the first company to charge multiple people for the same feature on the same vehicle just because it changed ownership. They might be able to get away with it if the car was leased and claim the feature was leased not sold as part of the car.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Jaguar is looking for more features or services that can be enabled via software updates. These have been discussed in the Jaguar Advisory Board questions/postings. They may not be part of our current models, but JLR is definitely looking at a service model to get recurring revenue. They did not seem to be looking at turning off and on major mechanical features like heated seats. More of the focus was on different types of insurances or payment partnerships or gaming (think On Star with other connected services).

As more BEVs enter the market and regular services start to decline, it seems there will be a push to get recurring revenue and perhaps even a model to share part of it locally with the dealers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sort of like "Elon's Auto Pilot" it's in every car but if you want it to use it add $5K at the get-go, or $7K if you decide you want it after the purchase. I like Elon's lasest ruling that if you have a T3 you don't get a loaner car any more when yours is in the hospital.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts