Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Would love some opinions/advice.

I live in the Northeast and my neighborhood got hit hard with Ida. My i-pace sat in about a foot and a half of water for about 18 hours (i had raised the car to offroad height). When the water drained from the neighborhood I drove my i-pace and it ran normally... the carpets were very wet, and the the only other noticeable issue was the airbag light was on.

As soon as I could I vacuumed out the water then brought it to a detailer to dry out the car. After 24 hours the car seemed dry and the airbag light had turned off.

After this point, the car seemed to work fine except none of the cameras (360/rearview) worked. About a week has passed and suddenly the cameras work again.

My doubt is I have an inspection coming up with my insurance company. My nightmare scenario is they look at it and say nothing is wrong with the car now (so they won't pay for anything), but the car gets flagged as a "flooded" car, and over the next months/years the after affects start to create issues and I am left with a lemon that is unsellable.

Does anyone have any experience dealing with minor flood damage and insurance companies? Should I cancel the inspection/claim so that the car doesn't get flagged as flooded? Am I overreacting and should be happy that everything is working normally again?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Best,

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,303 Posts
The I-pace is a bit better off than most vehicles with its design to be able to wade through 20 inches of water when in off-road height, but that is not the same as sitting for an extended period in 20+ inches.

Was the water it sat in the least bit salty like sea water? If so, total the car. The salt will crystalize in various places. I was asked many years ago to review a Katrina car and what it would take to bring it back to life. It had salt in everything and corrosion of many parts including instrument panel supports, seat frames and control modules. Add that to the damage done to the steering column by towing people who didn't have a key to the car, and it wasn't worth what the person had paid for it.

If the water as shown above is closer to rain water, then the minimum damage is that the carpet and padding needs to be replaced. It will become moldy and give you a musty order in the future. Possibly the seat cushions too if it got that deep.

One should determine if the water was high enough to get into the venting of the EDUs nd traction battery. If it did, then it can cause issues further along in time. An easy check would be to drain the EDUs and see if the oil has water in it (lubricant meeting spec FE75W/BOT 350 M3 75W - 1.6L front/1.5L rear).

One also wonders about water damage to CV joints and wheel bearings. Yes they are exposed to moisture all the time, but they don't sit in water for extended periods of time.

Check the small drain holes at the bottom of the doors to ensure all water drained from inside the doors. Use a toothpick to ensure they are clear.

Car have front fog lights? Make sure they don't have water in them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A ticking time bomb. The fact the cameras took a week to restart tells you water got into the connectors at best and the controllers at worst. Even fresh water will corrode the connectors over time, giving you hard to trace intermittent faults that will just keep getting worse. I would demand that the insurance company total the car and let someone in a salvage auction deal with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts