Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that haven't yet experienced VW's latest hat trick, here's how it works. When you connect your car at a VW-owned Electrify America charging station, it momentarily checks the maximum charge rate your vehicle can support and then almost triples the under 75kwH pricing rate. Charging then proceeds at a rate which almost always averages under the 75kwH pricing threshold. Jaguar could fix this easily by adding a toggle on the vehicle which would let you adjust the maximum charging rate for your car. Then we all could take advantage of EA's extensive network of chargers (which they were forced to build because of the Dieselgate Settlement) without being raped by VW's latest unscrupulous business practice.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I haven't used one of these yet but I was thinking if I did use one I could unplug when the charging rate drops below 75kW and start a new charging session at the cheaper rate in order not to be charged the higher rate during the rest of the charging session. Is there anything that prevents us from doing that?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just to clarify, according to what I have read it's the initial charging rate (kW) for the session that determines the cost to charge for the entire session, not the theoretical maximum rate your car can accept under other circumstances.

·
Super Moderator
1,560 Posts
Just to clarify, according to what I have read it's the initial charging rate (kW) for the session that determines the cost to charge for the entire session, not the theoretical maximum rate your car can accept under other circumstances.
Source?

·
Super Moderator
1,560 Posts
Further down it says "If your car tells the charger that it can accept a maximum charging power of 95kW, for example, it is placed in the “1-125kW” power level."

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agree with @sciencegeek. I think that's the bone of contention. Electrify America uses "maximum charging power" to compute the rate rather than "actual charging power." Very deceptive to put it charitably but par for the course from the folks that brought you Dieselgate. Misrepresentation seems to be ingrained in their corporate culture.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Further down it says "If your car tells the charger that it can accept a maximum charging power of 95kW, for example, it is placed in the “1-125kW” power level."
They should reword that as it still isn't clear. I believe, combined with the other statement I quoted and based on everything previously discussed about these chargers, that the above means that it can at that moment accept a maximum charging power of 95kW vs. its theoretical maximum in perfect conditions.

I tried to track down the communications protocol between the charging station and car because I doubt there is even a way for it to query the car's maximum theoretical charging rate because what good would that info be? Being familiar with client-server protocol standards I find that the messages defined that can be exchanged tend to be limited to the most useful I formation for accomplishing their task. But this protocol is not open and you have to pay for it to be able to see what information can be queried and what responses are defined, so I wasn't able to find out.

Once the stay at home orders are lifted, I may try an experiment where I start a session there with a relatively high SOC (so my flow rate will be low) and see which tier it puts me in. If anyone can do this before I do please report the results.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Upon further research, it appears NerdUno is correct. Kia Niro EV owners report that EA always puts them in the over 75kW tier because their car reports a maximum theoretical charge rate of 77 kW, even though in some cases the initial charge rate was as low as 55 kW. I thought it was a ripoff to use the initial actual charge rate even after your charge slows below the threshold, but to use the theoretical max charge rate as they apparently do is a super-ripoff! I don't plan to use any EA chargers. There are plenty of others around.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Would it be worth the effort to stop and restart the charging as the rate drops to about 70kw?
When you initiate the charge, EA asks the car for the theoretical max charging, which is a constant value not dependant on the current state, but on the specs, so this won't help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
EA needs to charge by kWh and not by the minute. This would then not be an issue. I recommend that every time you experience this problem enter a complaint on the PlugShare app. I understand that the EA CEO reads all these entries. I only use EA when there is not a reasonable alternative.

·
Super Moderator
1,560 Posts
EA needs to charge by kWh and not by the minute. This would then not be an issue. I recommend that every time you experience this problem enter a complaint on the PlugShare app. I understand that the EA CEO reads all these entries. I only use EA when there is not a reasonable alternative.
That is a great idea!!! There already is pressure on them on this issue. CA will prohibit charging by minute in new DCFC chargers installed after 2023.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Their argument is that some states prohibit selling electricity by the kWh as it makes them an electricity reseller. They have to go by the minute to comply with these archaic state laws. I get that, but charging on the max theoretical output (and a LOT for that amount in the first place) is not fair. They should at least take some reasonable average so the bill to some degree, resembles what you actually consumed and not this obvious grab, compared to other providers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts