Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 2019 I-Pace SE for a year and love it. This forum has saved me more than once (e.g. battery/engine reservoir problem). I come from a long history of tight driving cars (e.g. MS) and the I-Pace measures up in every way! I have been and want to continue to use it on trips. My wife has complained that its ride is too bumpy (meaning she feels all of the bumps on an uneven road). She is right on this, and we do travel on a lot of uneven roads. She no longer wants to use this car for trips or ride in it on short outings. I need to do something!

My initial thinking, after reading up on Adaptive Dynamics (AD) in this forum and the UK forum, is that I could replace my I-Pace with one that has the AD feature. This will cost some $, but I think it could solve the issue....and I would still be in an I-Pace. The problem is: will it solve the problem? I do know if I go to an Audi e-tron, that I will get a much smoother ride for her, and it will cost us about the same $ as replacing my I-Pace with one that has the AD feature.

There is no, clear, literature out from Jaguar on what this feature really does. While there are words, they do not provide a description that says they will solve this problem. There are no I-Paces around at dealers to drive that have AD on them; so, I am flying blind.

What do you forum drivers that have the AD feature think? Will it smooth the ride for her when I put it in Dynamic Mode?

Thanks in advance for and insights you can provide.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
It's still a sporty ride with the active dynamics. You could go test drive one with her.

I have a Model Y. There is no comparison. The I-Pace is a far superior vehicle.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have the air suspension and no complaints about the ride. My winter 18s are noticeably softer than summer 22s. 20s might be a good compromise. Haven't driven one without the adaptive dynamics to compare.

·
Registered
2020 I-PACE SE w/ 22" F-PACE Wheels
179 Posts
Rim size and tire choice is going to have a much greater impact on ride quality than any incremental adjustments made to dampening rates via adaptive dynamics.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I live in an older (by Florida standards) neighborhood with brick streets that have stretches of undulation. In both the Velar and the I Pace, we find the raising the ride height on the EAS helps smooth things out.

Raising the ride height won't help on highways as I think the max speed when raised up is 50 MPH before the car will automatically lower itself to normal ride height.

As for Adaptive Dynamics, I think the non-AD I Paces are essentially set for comfort mode anyway, so I don't think that it will help your issue much.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live in an older (by Florida standards) neighborhood with brick streets that have stretches of undulation. In both the Velar and the I Pace, we find the raising the ride height on the EAS helps smooth things out.

Raising the ride height won't help on highways as I think the max speed when raised up is 50 MPH before the car will automatically lower itself to normal ride height.

As for Adaptive Dynamics, I think the non-AD I Paces are essentially set for comfort mode anyway, so I don't think that it will help your issue much.
Thank you for the idea. I will give it a try.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the air suspension and no complaints about the ride. My winter 18s are noticeably softer than summer 22s. 20s might be a good compromise. Haven't driven one without the adaptive dynamics to compare.
Thank you. I am riding on 20s that are set at the recommended pressure for a “minimum load”....I think that is 37 lbs.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,325 Posts
Just FYI.

Air suspension components allow for changing the height and automatically adjust for load level. It will be used to counteract the affects of rapid acceleration/deceleration and cornering g-forces. All of these are +/- 0.2g

Adaptive Damping (AD) incorporates shock absorbers that have electrically controlled valves controlling internal oil flow, and 3 accelerometer sensors.

Control modules monitor the accelerometers 100 times per second for up/down, driver steering input for affect on vehicle roll 100 times per second, driver go and braking 100 times per second for pitch, height sensors for bump rebound 500 times per second, the height sensors plus chassis systems 500 times per second for wheel vibrations (every wheel has some natural vibration).

With all these inputs the shock absorber valves are controlled to provide a comfortable ride.

That's a very brief description. There's a lot more detail in the workshop manual.

Having all the suspension options on my cat, I paid attention today on a long road trip that was mostly US interstate highways. It definitely seemed to help smooth the ride. Less tire pressures probably would have helped too since I was set for "normal" load instead of light load. The system still doesn't do much for that initial whack into the pot holes. Alas, the camera system isn't used to spot these and assist with suspension control, or better yet steer the car to avoid them automatically and safely (take surroundings into account).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the detailed response. It is the best description that I have received to date! Does the Shop Manual (or any literature) describe the "objectives" for the AD feature? I appreciate its capabilities (500 times / second), but I would love to see/hear what Jaguar thinks AD provides for the car's "ride" in "layman" terms. Does Jag say "comfortable ride" in the AD literature you have seen?

Also, can you confirm that AD only works in Dynamic Drive Mode? On your trip today would you have been in Dynamic Mode if you had not been testing it for me?

Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the detailed response. It is the best description that I have received to date! Does the Shop Manual (or any literature) describe the "objectives" for the AD feature? I appreciate its capabilities (500 times / second), but I would love to see/hear what Jaguar thinks AD provides for the car's "ride" in "layman" terms. Does Jag say "comfortable ride" in the AD literature you have seen?

Also, can you confirm that AD only works in Dynamic Drive Mode? On your trip today would you have been in Dynamic Mode if you had not been testing it for me?

Thank you for the help.
I did, just now, find a pretty good definition of AD. it was in the "build" application on the Jag. website as a expandable note when you chose to configure AD on your car. I keyed it into the response below. I wanted to let you know so that you did not have to go looking for it. It does look like it will do my job. It mentions "comfort". I am going off to get more serious about replacing my I-Pace.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Since I believe the quality of ride is quite subjective, I am curious what vehicles your wife has driven in the past resulting in enjoyable long trips. There is a good chance someone in this forum has driven the vehicle from your wife's past and also now owns an I-Pace and can compare the ride of the vehicles. Of course, I believe ultimately testing the I-Pace with a different set up will give the most definitive answer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have had my 2019 I-Pace SE for a year and love it. This forum has saved me more than once (e.g. battery/engine reservoir problem). I come from a long history of tight driving cars (e.g. MS) and the I-Pace measures up in every way! I have been and want to continue to use it on trips. My wife has complained that its ride is too bumpy (meaning she feels all of the bumps on an uneven road). She is right on this, and we do travel on a lot of uneven roads. She no longer wants to use this car for trips or ride in it on short outings. I need to do something!

My initial thinking, after reading up on Adaptive Dynamics (AD) in this forum and the UK forum, is that I could replace my I-Pace with one that has the AD feature. This will cost some $, but I think it could solve the issue....and I would still be in an I-Pace. The problem is: will it solve the problem? I do know if I go to an Audi e-tron, that I will get a much smoother ride for her, and it will cost us about the same $ as replacing my I-Pace with one that has the AD feature.

There is no, clear, literature out from Jaguar on what this feature really does. While there are words, they do not provide a description that says they will solve this problem. There are no I-Paces around at dealers to drive that have AD on them; so, I am flying blind.

What do you forum drivers that have the AD feature think? Will it smooth the ride for her when I put it in Dynamic Mode?

·
Registered
67 Posts
[/QU

I have a 2020 HSE which does not have adaptive dynamics. I can only tell you that I have owned over 100 vehicles and find that the I-Pace ride and handling is pure enjoyment. I live in Florida,
drive over old and new roads and find my vehicle handles great on any surface.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the comments. I agree with you that for the driver it is a great driving and riding car. They even call it a "drivers" car in reviews. I love it. That is why I am trying to keep it in my life. It drives better than my previous cars also including a MS. On the other hand, I want my wife to ride with me when I go on trips or around town.

I have been trying out one suggestion that I got on the Forum...that of raising the car's suspension when driving around town. I have been doing this alone as an experiment and do believe that it softens the ride. The car also "stays" in that setting between uses which is nice. After another day of successful testing, I will test it with my wife. If it all works, then I could drive in the regular height setting when I am by myself and when on the highway with my wife. That would be GREAT!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I'm tempted to alter the bars on the sensors of the air suspension to permanently raise the car then put on larger tires. Get even more off-road clearance, Clarence.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
@EV-AL I think you need to check out this:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts