Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've always been as focused on the car trailing me as the car in front of me so with the regen questions I've had, have been watching even more. Maybe it's just a case of "what the heck is that car" hence getting right on my as* quickly but as I mentioned, some people have switched lanes or seemed to hold back after a few stops at traffic lights. It could be that the way the car slows down in regen braking and the way the brake lights operate makes them not want to be behind me. I assure you it is not because I am a Sunday driver.....or maybe they pull over so that they can get a side glimpse of the car. Or the handsome driver. Could be any of those really.....
Did you just come up with a good reason for not de-badging a car? Leave the badges on, let the tailgaters see what model car it is, and then have them move on. :)

·
Registered
680 Posts
Thanks, Time2Roll! You brought up a really good point. I just assumed all body shops could perform repairs on aluminum panels. I was surprised to see only 3 aluminum repair shops in Colorado Springs and the nearest Jaguar-authorized shop is in Denver, 53 miles away.

My local Jag dealer is owned by the Red Noland Auto Group that also has a body shop but it's not certified for aluminum repairs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
To the OP, if the damage was enough to damage the battery pack, the car would be a total loss. The battery is forward of the rear wheels (axle, motor, suspension, etc.). Besides the obvious body parts, the next thing to get damaged in a rear end collision would be the air suspension system (located below the cargo area).
Update - the car was picked up via flatbed on Friday and delivered to a body shop that has been Tesla certified (I’ll leave names out for now but report back at resolution). The body shop said that they had (or nearly had?) completed Jaguar certification but C19 intervened. Nevertheless, they claimed to have worked on a few ipaces and have a good working relationship with my dealer.

Some early feedback:
  • Tech took a look and thought it wasn’t as bad as the damage might indicate but he won’t be able to begin the evaluation until next week
  • Regarding process, the big unknown is battery management. They said Jaguar likes to keep a tight control over its handling “despite us working regularly with Tesla batteries.” He didn’t see this as a problem, and in fact probably a result of Jaguar wanting to gain experience/data given its newness. As a result there may be a need to ping pong the car between the body shop & Jaguar if work impacts the battery.
Lastly, some additional tidbits not included in my initial post:
  • I was impressed with how well the car took the collision. I don’t want to share too many specifics at this point, but I will note that the car that rear-ended me was totaled with severe front damage and you can see how mine looked
  • Several pieces of the plastic underbelly came off the car
  • The only post-crash dash indicator was something to the effect that suspension was not available
  • Battery range indicator seemed to be the same post as pre-crash
More to come....

·
Registered
23 Posts
This thread is 7 days old so I imagine anything that was going to happen did by this point. But if you have a breached battery do not park the car anyplace where a fire will be a problem. I almost lost my house to a breached battery and Lithium-Ion burns very hot and once a battery pack is breached if a cell is compromised it generally will catch fire and cascade to the other cells. It is more when than if. (I was the leading battery expert for North Amerca a few years back). Tesla's have been known to go up after an accident and we get stories of fires in landfills from folks that have mistakenly thrown power tool batteries out. Don't take the risk, if the battery pack is breached, keep the car well away from anything you don't want to be burned up.

Reactions: CurtSprings2

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
353 Posts
This thread is 7 days old so I imagine anything that was going to happen did by this point. But if you have a breached battery do not park the car anyplace where a fire will be a problem. I almost lost my house to a breached battery and Lithium-Ion burns very hot and once a battery pack is breached if a cell is compromised it generally will catch fire and cascade to the other cells. It is more when than if. (I was the leading battery expert for North Amerca a few years back). Tesla's have been known to go up after an accident and we get stories of fires in landfills from folks that have mistakenly thrown power tool batteries out. Don't take the risk, if the battery pack is breached, keep the car well away from anything you don't want to be burned up.
Very good warning, although I would assume in the case of an accident where a battery breach is even a remote possibility the car is going straight to the dealership.

·
Super Moderator
2,092 Posts
I can't imagine that a car with a battery breach would be drivable. Wouldn't safety systems shut it down?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was rear ended about a year ago. Lots of damage (about $US 17K). Despite the huge impact there was no battery damage. Since I was able to see all of the supestructure I saw how well the battery is protected. If you are in the Southern Cal area I can recommend a good shop.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts