Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I was rear-ended in traffic. Was able to drive car away but there is significant rear damage and the battery pack may have been breached. Jaguar dealer told me to take the car to a body shop. I can’t imagine a body shop has any experience with significant ipace repairs, especially battery repair. Thoughts as to how I might proceed?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Wow, so sorry about the accident. Is everyone okay? Try to find a body shop that repairs Tesla. I would also consider taking the car to the dealer and have them inspect the battery. I think a body shop will ask for the battery to be inspected prior to starting work. You may also think about towing the car as driving with a damaged battery can cause all sorts of safety risks.

·
Registered
898 Posts
These parts are extremely expensive.
Would be curious to see how much it will be to repair and at that point will it be a total loss

·
Super Moderator
2,286 Posts
I was rear-ended with extensive damage in August last year. I doubt your battery pack is damaged. The body shop fixed everything like new, in fact, the rear gate which was a little bit off in the original version, came out better than before. I'll keep fingers crossed your kitty is ok in the end!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I was wondering about how the rear brake lights on the I pace work.
I do a lot of regen braking and have no idea if the drivers behind me know that I am slowing down.
Does anyone know how the brake lights work during regen as opposed to normal applied brake?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I look at my mirrors all the time at night and watch the brake lights come on about as soon as you start getting a little regen.(I am trusting the follow me mode to brake the car while I am looking!) All though I can see them cutting on and off a lot if you are in the follow me mode behind someone while using the cruise control. The only time they may not work well is if you come up to a stop over a long period, say a very slight downhill, the brake lights will not be on when you are stopped. This is the same as a gas car if you don't have your foot on the brake pedal. I would assume the shop will talk with Jaguar about any questionable fixes of anything they don't understand. Most of it they know how to repair it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I was wondering about how the rear brake lights on the I pace work.
I do a lot of regen braking and have no idea if the drivers behind me know that I am slowing down.
Does anyone know how the brake lights work during regen as opposed to normal applied brake?
If you're in Regen High the brake lights will come on as soon as your foot comes off the accelerator. But if you're like me and use a little throttle while slowing then the brake lights don't come on until the car is at 4 MPH. If you're in Regen Low the lights don't come on until the car is at 4 MPH.

I too had a number of drivers get uncomfortably close during braking so I had my wife follow me through the neighborhood using both regen settings and adaptive cruise control. She would call out on the phone when the lights came on and the lesson for me was to try and not have my foot on the accelerator when slowing.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Curt, I would think the safer approach would be to have the brake lights come on with some moderate lifting off of the accelerator. I brake like you do and it’s actually rare for me to come entirely off the accelerator given how quickly that causes the car to come to a near stop.

I try for smooth and gradual deceleration, also operating under the assumption that the longer deceleration produces more regen for the battery.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I agree, Ken. A couple of weeks ago my wife followed me in our ICE to the dealer and remarked that the I-Pace brake lights weren't coming on until it was almost at a stop and was a little concerning. She drives in low regen so I explained that she won't have the same issue

·
Registered
692 Posts
I get you, Ken. I had a few close calls so I had my wife follow me to determine why. I think your idea for the lights to come on during a certain rate of deceleration is a good one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've been concerned about this from the beginning but haven't yet done the "follow me" test- it might have to happen tonight. I've been driving to one project lately which is mostly 55-65mph with intermittant lights and have been trying to assess the reaction of the cars behind me. My sense is that when I am decelerating while still giving the car some power, even with a rapid deceleration, the brake lights may not be coming on. I've watched people behind me follow much too closely and then after a light or two, tend to back off quite a bit or change lanes suggesting that this is a condition to be aware of. As traffic continues to increase here with some bottlenecks even on the highways and so many distracted drivers, I have to wonder if I need to forgo the high regen and one pedal driving, which I totally love. Not sure how to address this if indeed the case. I never thought to check it with the MX I borrowed- do all high regen braking systems operate the same way?

·
Super Moderator
2,286 Posts
FWIW, my accident had nothing to do with brake light function. The person who rear-ended me just drove into me as I was stopped at a red light and the car in front of me didn't go when the light turned green. Yeah, seriously.

myipace, keep us posted ok?

·
Registered
804 Posts
I've been concerned about this from the beginning but haven't yet done the "follow me" test- it might have to happen tonight. I've been driving to one project lately which is mostly 55-65mph with intermittant lights and have been trying to assess the reaction of the cars behind me. My sense is that when I am decelerating while still giving the car some power, even with a rapid deceleration, the brake lights may not be coming on. I've watched people behind me follow much too closely and then after a light or two, tend to back off quite a bit or change lanes suggesting that this is a condition to be aware of. As traffic continues to increase here with some bottlenecks even on the highways and so many distracted drivers, I have to wonder if I need to forgo the high regen and one pedal driving, which I totally love. Not sure how to address this if indeed the case. I never thought to check it with the MX I borrowed- do all high regen braking systems operate the same way?
The Tesla operates this way, but I somehow recall brake lights coming on somewhat earlier.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Performed a brief " follow me" test tonight. Nothing scientific, just a friend following me with both of us on bluetooth and only up to 30mph. I'd indicate where I was letting up on the pedal partially or fully and he relayed that every time I said either, the brake lights came on. Sometimes I wouldn't tell him and he'd report that they were on corresponding with some let up- not necessarily full let up. Said nothing looked out of the ordinary as the brakes corresponded to my actions. So my take away is that the brake lights do light up when in an ICE car they would not- when one is coasting or letting up from the accelerator pedal to slow slightly. I was always worried that the brake lights didn't show up until the vehicle was almost stopped. Now I'm wondering if I look like one of those "brake riders" with the brake lights coming on more than they should.... Study to be continued.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Performed a brief " follow me" test tonight. Nothing scientific, just a friend following me with both of us on bluetooth and only up to 30mph. I'd indicate where I was letting up on the pedal partially or fully and he relayed that every time I said either, the brake lights came on. Sometimes I wouldn't tell him and he'd report that they were on corresponding with some let up- not necessarily full let up. Said nothing looked out of the ordinary as the brakes corresponded to my actions. So my take away is that the brake lights do light up when in an ICE car they would not- when one is coasting or letting up from the accelerator pedal to slow slightly. I was always worried that the brake lights didn't show up until the vehicle was almost stopped. Now I'm wondering if I look like one of those "brake riders" with the brake lights coming on more than they should.... Study to be continued.
To be honest, from a safety standpoint, I’d prefer the ‘brake rider’ behavior as opposed to the brake lights only coming on as you come to a near stop. Hopefully all our cars behave as yours in the high regen mode.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
850 Posts
To the OP, if the damage was enough to damage the battery pack, the car would be a total loss. The battery is forward of the rear wheels (axle, motor, suspension, etc.). Besides the obvious body parts, the next thing to get damaged in a rear end collision would be the air suspension system (located below the cargo area).

·
Super Moderator
2,286 Posts
Performed a brief " follow me" test tonight. Nothing scientific, just a friend following me with both of us on bluetooth and only up to 30mph.
Yes! An empirical test! I love it.
I frankly just drive it (yes high regen) and I've not noticed any confused behavior by people who follow me (except if I do something stupid).

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've always been as focused on the car trailing me as the car in front of me so with the regen questions I've had, have been watching even more. Maybe it's just a case of "what the heck is that car" hence getting right on my as* quickly but as I mentioned, some people have switched lanes or seemed to hold back after a few stops at traffic lights. It could be that the way the car slows down in regen braking and the way the brake lights operate makes them not want to be behind me. I assure you it is not because I am a Sunday driver.....or maybe they pull over so that they can get a side glimpse of the car. Or the handsome driver. Could be any of those really.....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts