Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many know, this time of year is when the dear are rutting. Well, while on cruise control a VERY large deer ran out in front of me. If i were a second sooner or 2 mph faster I would of slammed into that deer. I swerved to avoid it but then thought, why didn't the car detect it and stop? Just got me thinking.

·
Premium Member
2019 I-Pace HSE - Borasco Grey
215 Posts
The car's visual detection AI is only trained to detect a few things (I assume using a convolutional neural network). Here's an excerpt from the owner's manual:
"The AEB system uses forward-facing cameras to detect real vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists, plus other certified target objects. AEB is not designed to detect any other objects, including non-industry approved targets."

But I agree that common things like deer might be useful to add (or at least they are very common where I live). The problem with CNNs is they are probabilistic and never report 100% certainty of anything. To train a CNN effectively requires hundreds of thousands or even millions of sample images that allow the CNN to differentiate between the real things it should recognize and other things that it shouldn't but may appear similar. They have to be careful to have it have very confidence when it decides to slam on the brakes since doing that with a false positive could itself result in bad accidents.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I would be curious to know how often JLR (or their sub contractor) is improving/updating this Image Processing or Emergency Brake module. I can't imagine that they did not do any progress on this side since they release the car, and I guess this module is not unique to the IPace but must be shared across JLR.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for reply. This deer was the size of a large motorcycle with a head full of antlers less than 6 feet from the car going 42 mph. No warning from car which startled me since it was so dark out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The problem with CNNs is they are probabilistic and never report 100% certainty of anything.
Not many are getting this unfortunately.
NNs are highly insufficient solution for critical applications, as they cannot be validated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts