Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The rotary controls are very useful, but can be a little lagy even though the S20A update has made it faster

I use the rotary control without looking, just using push, pull and turn

First step when I sit in the car is push down the rotary and turn left to cool, 1 to 3 clicks depending the desired fan speed. For heat, Turn right 1 to 3 clicks.

If I want to know if my seat is being cooled or heated, I can always look at the top right of the main screen

It shows on the rotary as well

My bottom screen is set as the default to show the media so to turn on the AC, I pull the rotary and turn to the desired fan speed by the feelings the clicks, adjusting throughout the drive the same way.
Changing the temperature is just turning the rotary dial to desired temperature

I couldn't imagine doing this with an all screen AC control without a physical knob.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I operate it exactly same way. Without looking at the controls and just confirming on the main screen the seat is cooled or heated. You don't actually need S20A to have the seat icon on the rotary. I have S19C and have it as well.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I keep my bottom screen set as it was when I took delivery, in Climate mode. I like seeing and having all the climate controls visible, as in a "regular" car. I have my media info in the main instrument cluster, right in the middle. I am VERY happy we have physical, rotary dials. I'm sure as Jaguar tries to compete with other EVs, we will eventually lose the physical dials :(

·
Registered
564 Posts
I am VERY happy we have physical, rotary dials.
That is soooo 20th century thinking. I agree with it.

I also like the fact that it prevents a single point of failure. Many complaints registered with NHTSA about single display panel for controls going dark and rendering the driver helpless for control of functions.

I'm sure as Jaguar tries to compete with other EVs, we will eventually lose the physical dials :(
Unlikely. Several manufacturers put dials/knobs back in based on consumer feedback even in non-EVs.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is soooo 20th century thinking. I agree with it.

I also like the fact that it prevents a single point of failure. Many complaints registered with NHTSA about single display panel for controls going dark and rendering the driver helpless for control of functions.

Unlikely. Several manufacturers put dials/knobs back in based on consumer feedback even in non-EVs.
Correct about the single point of failure hence the new NHTSA investigation into Tesla.

I love the Taycan but I wold have liked it of they had some physical buttons, especially for the AC and Radio volume. I had an F-Pace loaner this weekend which I drove for 1000miles. That had way too many buttons so I couldnt do the no looking AC controls. It really made me appreaficte the I-Pace in every way. Build quality is far superior to the F-Pace too

·
Registered
603 Posts
When I experienced the dreaded blank screen issue, the lower screen was blank as well and I had no climate controls except for the icons along the top of the lower screen. I could turn AC on or off but had no temperature or fan speed controls. It was a 95 deg days and toddler grandchildren were in the car. It was a long time before I trusted the car enough to put them back in.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I experienced the dreaded blank screen issue, the lower screen was blank as well and I had no climate controls except for the icons along the top of the lower screen. I could turn AC on or off but had no temperature or fan speed controls. It was a 95 deg days and toddler grandchildren were in the car. It was a long time before I trusted the car enough to put them back in.
These issues need to be priority 1 for JLR.
Its turns off people to a fantastic car.

·
Registered
603 Posts
These issues need to be priority 1 for JLR.
Its turns off people to a fantastic car.
My experience was last summer and no new blank screens since a software update was completed. I do wait until the home screen displays before putting the car in gear but it's a minor annoyance.

·
Registered
494 Posts
On our 10 minute drive home during the time I had the frozen kitty screen, mine never rebooted. It wasn't until I got home and turned the car off and back on again, that the screen returned to normal.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
268 Posts
It might be something that came from one of the non-IMC updates, but since there isn't a good way to see what software versions I have in the car I can't tell.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I did not realize how much power the AC uses until switching to seat cooling only and tried this after reading this thread. My commute is always 22.1 miles at an average speed of around 35 mph (mix of back roads and highway) and at the same times of day. When driving with the AC on I was usually 32 to 34 kWh/100 miles. After going to seat only cooling and turning off AC I am now at 27 to 29 kWh/100 miles. My guess o meter also went up to 276 miles from 256 miles after a full charge last night. Now I will say that using seat cooling only does not take the humidity out of the air fast enough, but is actually comfortable for my afternoon ride home. I do park in a parking deck, so my car is not hot to start, which helps.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I did not realize how much power the AC uses until switching to seat cooling only and tried this after reading this thread. My commute is always 22.1 miles at an average speed of around 35 mph (mix of back roads and highway) and at the same times of day. When driving with the AC on I was usually 32 to 34 kWh/100 miles. After going to seat only cooling and turning off AC I am now at 27 to 29 kWh/100 miles. My guess o meter also went up to 276 miles from 256 miles after a full charge last night. Now I will say that using seat cooling only does not take the humidity out of the air fast enough, but is actually comfortable for my afternoon ride home. I do park in a parking deck, so my car is not hot to start, which helps.
WOW....256 to 276 miles. When I first did H264, a 100% charge would show up to 265 on the guess o meter. For months now it is a max of 240-250. My neighbor 2 doors down asked me yesterday, if my 100% charges are a lot less (he also bought an I-Pace after falling in love with mine). Both our I-Paces went from the mid 260s to 240ish. Strange.

·
Registered
494 Posts
WOW....256 to 276 miles. When I first did H264, a 100% charge would show up to 265 on the guess o meter. For months now it is a max of 240-250. My neighbor 2 doors down asked me yesterday, if my 100% charges are a lot less (he also bought an I-Pace after falling in love with mine). Both our I-Paces went from the mid 260s to 240ish. Strange.
More importantly, did your true range change at all?

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
More importantly, did your true range change at all?
Hmmm....I don't do in depth tests and look at numbers and wattcat stuff. Most of my driving is the same 7 days a week, so I just "see" how many days I go until I need to charge. Maybe because it is getting warmer, but I am using a lot of battery lately. Yesterday I was at 100% when I left our garage and when I got home (36 miles round trip), my battery was at 84%. 25+ miles of that is freeway at 60-70mph. I do try and not worry too much about battery and remind myself that I don't have to go to Chevron :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts