Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a week of driving the I-Pace, here are some of my thoughts, for whatever their worth, on these two cars:

Build quality-
The Tesla build quality is legend, just not in a good way. Rattles, squeaks & suspension noise ruin what is an otherwise quiet cabin. Some noises are impossible to track down and you just give up. Exterior panel alignment varies, but mine was probably a bit better than average. Materials are OK, but not fitting of a luxury car. However the material used in my textile seating actually did wear quite well.

The I-Pace material quality is several notches above that of the Tesla and that’s immediately apparent. Body panels are nearly perfect, with mine having only a slightly greater gap on the right side of the hood vs the left side. Otherwise everything is perfect. The interior quality is a pleasure coming from a Tesla. Materials are obviously a cut above and comparable to my wife’s Lexus, which is no slouch for quality materials. And no rattles!!!! I can’t tell you how much that affects my perception of quality. It was such a downer in the MS. It was one of the first things I listened for on my I-Pace test drive. Aesthetically the I-Pace interior has it all over the MS.

Ride Quality-
This is another big distinction between the two cars. Although my MS had air suspension, it had an overly firm ride for my liking. Coupled with the noises going over ruts & bumps, it actually worsened the perception of ride quality. Now in fairness, I understand that the newer Model S has an improved suspension, but I seriously doubt they’ve gotten rid of rattles.

The I-Pace’s ride is firm, but very pleasant. On the advice of fellow member Paul, I changed the setting to light load and lowered tire pressures to 37 all around. That made the ride even more pleasant on my 20” wheels. And did I say no rattles? YUM!

Handling & Acceleration-
The Model S certainly handled well and was very responsive. Cornering was flat and well controlled. Really no complaints. As with most Teslas, the car was a rocket. I’m not the kind of guy that often floors the go pedal, but I certainly did to ‘show off’ the car to people that had never been in it. It was always fun watching their faces.

The I-Pace handles very well too. It has a bit more lean in turns as the result of its height (I’d assume), but I’d still consider it quite flat in the bends. Steering is also very responsive and again, no complaints. I haven’t yet floored it, I’m still living in the past where you weren’t supposed to do that with brand new ICE cars. But I will. From the driving I’ve done, I certainly can tell that acceleration is in the Tesla league.

Noise-
The Model S would be a very quiet car if not for rattles. Mine was a RWD model which I think tend to be quieter than the AWD models since the motor is in the back with nothing up front. But again, those rattles & suspension noises destroyed the serene interior. Aside from the rattles, noise was highly dependent upon road surfaces, probably more so than most cars I’ve driven. Of course it could have been a function of the 19” tires as well as the suspension. On smooth roads, noise was virtually absent. On more coarse roads, a significant amount of road noise intruded into the cabin. Fortunately wind noise was absent, although I might have been lucky on that count as many other MS owners complained about wind noise. Build quality issues?

The I-Pace is also very quiet, but it’s tough for me to say with certainty which is quieter. The I-Pace starts off at a disadvantage being AWD vs my RWD MS. But despite that, I’d still call the interior very quiet, especially with the absence of rattles & suspension noises. The I-Pace is also devoid of any wind noise. I also find the I-Pace more forgiving of road surfaces in terms of noise intrusion into the cabin. Obviously smooth roads are less noisy, but I don’t hear the stark differences I did with the Tesla.

I’ll have to add in a note here. My wife’s Lexus 300h is still quieter than either my I-Pace or my late MS, this despite being a hybrid. Lexus has noise isolation down to a science. With that said I’m still very happy with the quiet interior of the I-Pace.

Fun to drive-
The Tesla was a blast to drive, no doubt about it. But the previously mentioned issues did detract from the overall enjoyment.

The I-Pace is also a blast to drive and not plagued with some of the issues I had with my MS. I find the interior just makes you feel good.

Infotainment & Software-
The Tesla was quite easy to operate although I always found it a challenge hitting the big 17” screen at the right place while moving. The car certainly had its share of software issues with my biggest one occurring within one week of ownership. I was hit by every conceivable warning light and chime imaginable. According to the warning lights it seemed as if the car was ready to self-destruct. My only thought at that point was how embarrassing this would be to see this new car flat bedded through our condo on its way to the service dept. Fortunately that didn’t happen. I charged the car and the next morning all was well. I never had a repeat occurrence. Of course from time to time I did get more minor warnings that usually had no relationship to reality. For better or worse, Teslas do get OTA updates that eliminate, in almost all cases, the need to visit the service dept. On occasion some owners would have stuck software updates that required them to visit the dealer. Fortunately it never happened to me.

The I-Pace must have taken a page out of the Tesla’s book. The same ‘end of the world’ warnings occurred on my second day of ownership. Following another member’s similar occurrence and my own experience with the Tesla, I charged the I-Pace and sure enough all the warnings were gone a couple of hours later. A week later all is well…knock wood. I think you just have to expect these BEVs to be a bit quirky. Hopefully we'll get true OTA updates that will reduce service dept visits too. I guess our systems are in their infancy, and the system is still maturing.

Aesthetics-
I hesitate to even include this since it’s so subjective. I think the MS is a beautiful car. Sleek and luxurious looking. I still think that despite its unchanged (aside from the front facia) styling since 2012. The interior, per typical Tesla, is on the stark side. Once you get past that huge 17” screen, the interior is kind of lack-luster.

The I-Pace interior is beautiful and IMO a large step up from the MS. The exterior is radically different from the MS as it’s a different type of vehicle. Initially, like my wife, we liked it but wouldn’t have called it beautiful. We have both only driven sedans and not SUVs or cross-overs. However as the days have gone by, we both have now called it beautiful. It really grows on you.

FWIW, I’ve gotten many more compliments on the I-Pace than I did with the Tesla…at least in similar time periods. Perhaps it’s because Teslas have become common and most have never even seen an I-Pace. Either way it’s certainly a head-turner.

Conclusion-
After 1 week of ownership, Tesla Model S or I-Pace? No question, I-Pace.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
185 Posts
Thorough, well compiled comparison. I guess this is a sign of the times we live in - a week into my ownership I was too busy enjoying the drive to anywhere and everywhere to write such a piece.
I have a feeling you will be very happy with your kitty. 🙂

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Great write up, Thank you. I agree basically with everything you said. I did not come from a Tesla, but I went directly from a BMW i3s into my I-Pace. The difference was night and day. One of my biggest not just pet peeves, but whether I love or hate a car is squeaks, rattles and interior noises. My i3 was one of the worst rattle & squeak boxes I have ever owned (so unlike most BMWs).

Within 1 min of test driving an I-Pace I was blown away that the interior was silent, even on poor road conditions. I have had my I-Pace almost 6 months now, and it is still as rock solid and rattle free as the day I drove it off the lot. Being honest, in the easily 30+ cars I have owned....my 4 Range Rovers, 1 LR4 and now my Jag are really the only true, rattle free cars I have ever owned. Rolls-Royce and Bentley are really good, but honestly Jaguar Land Rover are quieter inside!

Congrats on your new Kitty. You will love!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have 18k miles and 17 months on my i-pace and its been rock solid. I had a hiccup the first few days where the center screens went blank and didn't come on for a few days, but that resolved itself on its own and has never returned. Some minor gremlins like the LKA switching from keeping you in the lane to vibrating the steering wheel every now and then. But nothing worth complaining about and definitely not worth taking to the dealer.

Agreed about the interior, its simply stunning and all materials used are very high quality--just feels solid. I would buy it again in a heartbeat--though I wish I wasn't so eager and would have waited some months to get some of these discounts that are available now.

I did have a model s for a few weeks and a model 3 for a week(friends car and turo). One thing I've noticed is the I-Pace's "vampire drain" is significantly less than either of those Tesla models. I've left my i-pace sit for weeks and it awakens to maybe 1% battery drain. I was getting that per day on the Teslas. but that is really only noteworthy if you don't charge at night.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have 18k miles and 17 months on my i-pace and its been rock solid. I had a hiccup the first few days where the center screens went blank and didn't come on for a few days, but that resolved itself on its own and has never returned. Some minor gremlins like the LKA switching from keeping you in the lane to vibrating the steering wheel every now and then. But nothing worth complaining about and definitely not worth taking to the dealer.

Agreed about the interior, its simply stunning and all materials used are very high quality--just feels solid. I would buy it again in a heartbeat--though I wish I wasn't so eager and would have waited some months to get some of these discounts that are available now.

I did have a model s for a few weeks and a model 3 for a week(friends car and turo). One thing I've noticed is the I-Pace's "vampire drain" is significantly less than either of those Tesla models. I've left my i-pace sit for weeks and it awakens to maybe 1% battery drain. I was getting that per day on the Teslas. but that is really only noteworthy if you don't charge at night.
Excellent point about the phantom drain and something I should have mentioned. You're bang on correct about that. My MS would, at times, drain 3-5 miles in one night! I never could understand why. Typical drain would be 1-2 miles per day. I always assumed there was a lot of back & forth 'conversation' with the Mother Ship that was causing it. I haven't seen any drain yet on the I-Pace. That's a real plus because that phantom drain really adds up. In a week you could lose 10-15 miles without moving.

It's also funny that you mention that glitch with the LKA. We just got back from a drive and I tried putting on the LKA to test how well it steered. It didn't, despite the fact that I've used it before. The only thing I got was that strong correction where it kind of grabs the wheel as you veer near the edge of the lane. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong and thought it was just OE. When I got back to the garage I went into the sittings and sure enough it had switched to vibration. I switched it back. I don't recall having done that manually, but like you said, it might just be a glitch.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
28 Posts
Ken, you are really making it hard on me while I'm "getting my ducks in a row" here! I keep finding another reason to get it, but my driveway is still sans an I-Pace! Just got so excited, I spilled my beverage all over the keyboard! :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
1,714 Posts
Oh oops, I hope you're on a desktop computer; last time I did that I ruined by MacBook Pro and it wasn't even 🍺 , it was just black coffee

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
28 Posts
Oh oops, I hope you're on a desktop computer; last time I did that I ruined by MacBook Pro and it wasn't even 🍺 , it was just black coffee
It is a Dell laptop for work. I have it docked and on a different shelf, so only the wireless keyboard and the monitor stand took a bath. I also was not drinking a 🍺. It was only an ice tea, thankfully. (y)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ken, you are really making it hard on me while I'm "getting my ducks in a row" here! I keep finding another reason to get it, but my driveway is still sans an I-Pace! Just got so excited, I spilled my beverage all over the keyboard! :LOL:
I could be crude and ask if you're sure that was your beverage you spilled all over the keyboard...but I won't. :LOL:

·
Registered
24 Posts
After a week of driving the I-Pace, here are some of my thoughts, for whatever their worth, on these two cars:

Build quality-
The Tesla build quality is legend, just not in a good way. Rattles, squeaks & suspension noise ruin what is an otherwise quiet cabin. Some noises are impossible to track down and you just give up. Exterior panel alignment varies, but mine was probably a bit better than average. Materials are OK, but not fitting of a luxury car. However the material used in my textile seating actually did wear quite well.

The I-Pace material quality is several notches above that of the Tesla and that’s immediately apparent. Body panels are nearly perfect, with mine having only a slightly greater gap on the right side of the hood vs the left side. Otherwise everything is perfect. The interior quality is a pleasure coming from a Tesla. Materials are obviously a cut above and comparable to my wife’s Lexus, which is no slouch for quality materials. And no rattles!!!! I can’t tell you how much that affects my perception of quality. It was such a downer in the MS. It was one of the first things I listened for on my I-Pace test drive. Aesthetically the I-Pace interior has it all over the MS.

Ride Quality-
This is another big distinction between the two cars. Although my MS had air suspension, it had an overly firm ride for my liking. Coupled with the noises going over ruts & bumps, it actually worsened the perception of ride quality. Now in fairness, I understand that the newer Model S has an improved suspension, but I seriously doubt they’ve gotten rid of rattles.

The I-Pace’s ride is firm, but very pleasant. On the advice of fellow member Paul, I changed the setting to light load and lowered tire pressures to 37 all around. That made the ride even more pleasant on my 20” wheels. And did I say no rattles? YUM!

Handling & Acceleration-
The Model S certainly handled well and was very responsive. Cornering was flat and well controlled. Really no complaints. As with most Teslas, the car was a rocket. I’m not the kind of guy that often floors the go pedal, but I certainly did to ‘show off’ the car to people that had never been in it. It was always fun watching their faces.

The I-Pace handles very well too. It has a bit more lean in turns as the result of its height (I’d assume), but I’d still consider it quite flat in the bends. Steering is also very responsive and again, no complaints. I haven’t yet floored it, I’m still living in the past where you weren’t supposed to do that with brand new ICE cars. But I will. From the driving I’ve done, I certainly can tell that acceleration is in the Tesla league.

Noise-
The Model S would be a very quiet car if not for rattles. Mine was a RWD model which I think tend to be quieter than the AWD models since the motor is in the back with nothing up front. But again, those rattles & suspension noises destroyed the serene interior. Aside from the rattles, noise was highly dependent upon road surfaces, probably more so than most cars I’ve driven. Of course it could have been a function of the 19” tires as well as the suspension. On smooth roads, noise was virtually absent. On more coarse roads, a significant amount of road noise intruded into the cabin. Fortunately wind noise was absent, although I might have been lucky on that count as many other MS owners complained about wind noise. Build quality issues?

The I-Pace is also very quiet, but it’s tough for me to say with certainty which is quieter. The I-Pace starts off at a disadvantage being AWD vs my RWD MS. But despite that, I’d still call the interior very quiet, especially with the absence of rattles & suspension noises. The I-Pace is also devoid of any wind noise. I also find the I-Pace more forgiving of road surfaces in terms of noise intrusion into the cabin. Obviously smooth roads are less noisy, but I don’t hear the stark differences I did with the Tesla.

I’ll have to add in a note here. My wife’s Lexus 300h is still quieter than either my I-Pace or my late MS, this despite being a hybrid. Lexus has noise isolation down to a science. With that said I’m still very happy with the quiet interior of the I-Pace.

Fun to drive-
The Tesla was a blast to drive, no doubt about it. But the previously mentioned issues did detract from the overall enjoyment.

The I-Pace is also a blast to drive and not plagued with some of the issues I had with my MS. I find the interior just makes you feel good.

Infotainment & Software-
The Tesla was quite easy to operate although I always found it a challenge hitting the big 17” screen at the right place while moving. The car certainly had its share of software issues with my biggest one occurring within one week of ownership. I was hit by every conceivable warning light and chime imaginable. According to the warning lights it seemed as if the car was ready to self-destruct. My only thought at that point was how embarrassing this would be to see this new car flat bedded through our condo on its way to the service dept. Fortunately that didn’t happen. I charged the car and the next morning all was well. I never had a repeat occurrence. Of course from time to time I did get more minor warnings that usually had no relationship to reality. For better or worse, Teslas do get OTA updates that eliminate, in almost all cases, the need to visit the service dept. On occasion some owners would have stuck software updates that required them to visit the dealer. Fortunately it never happened to me.

The I-Pace must have taken a page out of the Tesla’s book. The same ‘end of the world’ warnings occurred on my second day of ownership. Following another member’s similar occurrence and my own experience with the Tesla, I charged the I-Pace and sure enough all the warnings were gone a couple of hours later. A week later all is well…knock wood. I think you just have to expect these BEVs to be a bit quirky. Hopefully we'll get true OTA updates that will reduce service dept visits too. I guess our systems are in their infancy, and the system is still maturing.

Aesthetics-
I hesitate to even include this since it’s so subjective. I think the MS is a beautiful car. Sleek and luxurious looking. I still think that despite its unchanged (aside from the front facia) styling since 2012. The interior, per typical Tesla, is on the stark side. Once you get past that huge 17” screen, the interior is kind of lack-luster.

The I-Pace interior is beautiful and IMO a large step up from the MS. The exterior is radically different from the MS as it’s a different type of vehicle. Initially, like my wife, we liked it but wouldn’t have called it beautiful. We have both only driven sedans and not SUVs or cross-overs. However as the days have gone by, we both have now called it beautiful. It really grows on you.

FWIW, I’ve gotten many more compliments on the I-Pace than I did with the Tesla…at least in similar time periods. Perhaps it’s because Teslas have become common and most have never even seen an I-Pace. Either way it’s certainly a head-turner.

Conclusion-
After 1 week of ownership, Tesla Model S or I-Pace? No question, I-Pace.
I am in the same boat like you. Coming from Tesla S to IPace. I agree with lot of your information. To me Tesla interface through its 17" screen was very good. The worst was the decline of customer experience at service centers from Tesla after Model 3 came into the market. I blame the [email protected] rather than the employees at service centers for Tesla ownership experience. My only experience with Ipace was very good.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I am in the same boat like you. Coming from Tesla S to IPace. I agree with lot of your information. To me Tesla interface through its 17" screen was very good. The worst was the decline of customer experience at service centers from Tesla after Model 3 came into the market. I blame the [email protected] rather than the employees at service centers for Tesla ownership experience. My only experience with Ipace was very good.
The decline of service for Tesla was inevitable. It's easy to make customers happy when you have no concept of profitability.
With the M3, the narrative to Wall Street was they will be profitability which they weren't, so they cut everything to the bone. SG&A Capex, R&D etc. Its only going to get worse

I believe JLR has the same problem. The dealer I got my car from was an exception, but all the other ones I've encountered have not been as good.
I don't feel the service departments are on my side which is because of push back from JLR, because they are financially unhealthy

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually didn't Tesla show profitability in the 2 quarters prior to the virus?

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
28 Posts
The decline of service for Tesla was inevitable. It's easy to make customers happy when you have no concept of profitability.
With the M3, the narrative to Wall Street was they will be profitability which they weren't, so they cut everything to the bone. SG&A Capex, R&D etc. Its only going to get worse

I believe JLR has the same problem. The dealer I got my car from was an exception, but all the other ones I've encountered have not been as good.
I don't feel the service departments are on my side which is because of push back from JLR, because they are financially unhealthy
Interesting. Assuming I get my new 2019 I-Pace, 🤞, I may have to start looking for service reviews to see who to use?

@Qtown charger, I think you are in my general area. Do you have some experience to share on service quality?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Actually didn't Tesla show profitability in the 2 quarters prior to the virus?
Look deep into the financials and 10k and you will see how they did. Still a huge loss for 2019 anyway.
Even more comical was the Q1 20 profit on $350m in selling regulatory credit that were in Accounts Receivable, removing a myriad of financial disclosures

They show "profits" always followed by a capital raise, which they are obviously trying to do right now.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Interesting. Assuming I get my new 2019 I-Pace, 🤞, I may have to start looking for service reviews to see who to use?

@Qtown charger, I think you are in my general area. Do you have some experience to share on service quality?
Because the I-Pace was needed for regulations, it was rushed to the market and of course like all EVs, it's a money loser, IMO the dealers are not enthusiastic about selling or servicing the car.
Not all dealers, but most don't care to know enough about the car and JLR doesn't support as well as they need to.
Definitely you want to find a good dealer that wants to take care of the car and you as the customer, but the dealers care about what makes them money

·
Registered
62 Posts
Speaking of phantom drain....

I was driving my MS for a few weeks with a dead MCU. I don't recommend it, especially in winter, cause there is no heater. Then my IPace arrived and I parked the MS with 175 miles of range. Three weeks later and I needed to move the MS. It showed 0 miles left. Thankfully I could still move it.

I finally got the MCU replaced and the wife is driving it until we sell. The whole drive train clunk when accelerating
or braking really shows how crappy the first MSs were. Tesla service says that is normal wear and tear. They tighten things and it helps for a day or two, then goes back to clunk town. I've heard the same thing on their loaners as well.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
185 Posts
[QUOTE="DocHudson, post: @Qtown charger, I think you are in my general area. Do you have some experience to share on service quality?
[/QUOTE]
Only used Allentown JLR. No complaints with their services and effort. The initial setup after the purchase covered most of the items addressed in the video posted in a parallel thread today. Like most with low volume sales of the I-Pace, there was a slight learning curve when addressing updates and the like, but they got all work done in a timely and satisfactory manner.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts